Clerical Tonsure Br.Martin Mary F.Ss.R (pictures)

I do hope that Fr.Michael Mary doesn’t mind that I share these pictures. What a joyous occasion - Br.Martin Mary and other candidates at Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary. Some fantastic pictures, of which I am posting a few. More available in the link in my signature.

Before you take a look - can you please say a qucik prayer for Br.Martin Mary and the other seminarians?

I thank you Lord for continuing to call your people to your priestly vocation.

Beautiful pictures!

Question about the “Mary”. I’ve only seen “Mary” used as a last name with the friars on EWTN. What does it mean?

Amen!

Question about the “Mary”. I’ve only seen “Mary” used as a last name with the friars on EWTN. What does it mean?

I think it is quite popular to have it as a second name of sorts, especially amongst religious’. As for the FSsR - I am taking a guess here but hopefully when I join I will find out more - I believe since St.Alphonsus is their spiritual Father they follow in his footsteps. St.Alphonsus Maria de Liguori was his full name. Hence, all the Brothers take the name of Mary or Maria too. It is also a sign of devotion towards Mary. I think it is a beautiful tradition.

In answer to your question, "Mary’ is used not so much as a ‘last name’, but as a reminder that the Franciscans are dedicated to Mary, especially under the title of her Immaculate Conception.

St. Francis’ most favorite place in Assisi was the little chapel of Santa Maria degli Angeli (Our Lady of the Angels), also known as ‘The Portiuncula’. He had a great love of Our Lady, and exhorted his spiritual sons to have the same devotion.

Another Franciscan, Blessed John Duns Scotus, wrote much about the Immaculate Conception.

And, closer to our time, St. Maxmilian Kolbe called himself ‘The Knight of the Immaculata’, and wrote and spoke much of Consecration to Mary. On the calendar for his feast day of August 14, he is called ‘St. Maxmilian Maria’.

What beautiful pictures! :thumbsup:

Something wonderful to see on such a dreary Monday morning!

Thank you for posting them!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.