Climb every mountain

i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how i should respond to this situation i experienced this weekend:

i was spending the weekend at a bed and breakfast in the mountains with friends of my wife and one of them jokingly suggested i skip mass in order to go hiking with them instead. “you will be closer to god on top of a mountain anyway” he said only slightly facetiously. like most of the people i know, he takes a dim view of organized religion and i think he enjoys teasing me about it.

i just smiled and ignored him, but is there a better way to explain without seeming too humorless why god is more present at mass than in nature? i could have brought up the real presence but then he probably would have mocked that and i would have been hurt and angry.

“How could I be closer to God than to receive Him in the Eucharist?” would seem to cover it. :slight_smile:

I mean, it is the reason. Don’t avoid a simple statement of fact just to avoid his potential bad behavior.

He gave us that beautiful mountain. The least I can do is go to Church and give Him an hour of my time.

God is not “IN” nature. Nature reflects the creative power of God, but He is not physically present in it.

In the Mass the Blessed Sacrament is the True Presence of Christ, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. When we receive Holy Communion we are totally and completely united to Christ, physically and spiritually.

You did the right thing, you ignored them.

There are no snappy answers that will illuminate the New Age mindset under the described circumstances. The best you can hope for is to plant a seed. They have been known to move mountains, ya know;)

He gave us that beautiful mountain. The least I can do is go to Church and give Him an hour of my time.

:thumbsup: Good one!

:heart:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.