Clinton wins at least six Iowa precincts by coin flip [Washington Post]

Clinton wins at least six Iowa precincts by coin flip

It was 2008. Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) and Sen. Hillary Clinton (N.Y.) were locked in what would prove to be a historic battle for the Democratic presidential nomination — one that pitted the man destined to be the first African American president against a former first lady who longed for a much more powerful role in the White House. In Iowa during that state’s caucuses, voters debated the candidates’ strengths and weaknesses. Was Obama electable? Was the nation suffering from Clinton fatigue?

“In the end, you need someone that can cross the party lines and, quite honestly, I don’t think Hillary can do that,” local Obama precinct captain Gary Altwegg noted. But, when the two candidates tied in his precinct, logic and reasoning were put to the side. To decide who would be awarded the precinct’s odd delegate, it was time to trust in fate — and in a coin flip.

Although what denomination was used is lost to history, the outcome is not in doubt. Obama — and Altwegg — triumphed in the end. Why? “Because I called tails,” Altwegg said.

See More At: washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/02/02/clinton-wins-at-least-six-iowa-precincts-by-coin-flip/

Deciding anything in a presidential primary by coin flip is just weird.

Sanders rally chant: 'She’s a liar!'

By Gabriel Debenedetti
02/01/16 11:40 PM EST

DES MOINES, Iowa — The room at Bernie Sanders’ rally here turned ice cold when Hillary Clinton’s speech took over the televisions here.

The crowd booed loudly at first, then cheered when the sound cut out. The sound soon returned and Clinton was drowned out by further boos when she said “I’m a progressive who gets things done.”

It escalated from there: Chants of “She’s a liar!” took over the room before the campaign just entirely shut off the stream, cutting away from MSNBC entirely.**Dem turnout was down 25% vs 2008.

Even if Hillary wins the nomination, the Bernie campaign will have gutted her support.

No one expected it to match the 08 turnout. But it was still one of their strongest turnouts ever.

“Tonight we saw an historically close Iowa Democratic Caucus that featured one of our strongest turnouts ever and passion and energy from Democrats all across our state.
After a year where Iowans took the time to see candidates, ask them thoughtful questions, and became volunteers and leaders themselves, tonight 171,109 Iowa Democrats came together with their neighbors to engage in a spirited discussion on the future of our country. We saw passionate, engaged Iowans turn out in all 99 counties."

whotv.com/2016/02/02/hillary-clinton-narrowly-defeats-bernie-sanders-in-iowa-democratic-caucuses/

It is as weird as our primary system that lets a few minor states (one which decides candidates with a coin toss) decide who the rest of the country will get to vote for.

It is a strange thing, indeed.

Clinton will seriously have to step up her game because Sanders is energized by this close vote. I only hope he will defeat Clinton in NH. Clinton should see she does not have a lock on the nomination anymore.

The Democratic Party doesn’t report vote totals … just percentages. :cool:

Why?

I don’t KNOW but it seems revealing as to their respect for “us”.

Elitist.

Only the in crowd must know.

Your thoughts on why? :shrug:

They can’t count?

At this point, they are hell-bent on having Hillary as the nominee.

Oh, I don’t think they are. The other states do report vote totals.

I like Iowa, but their caucus is strange to say the least.

If she had any sense, she’d gather whatever shreds of dignity she has left and just forget her lifelong dream of being the first woman president.

I never realized she was so despised by even her own people.

Her base is extremely loyal. I’m not a fan, but I think she has a very good chance of winning the election.

If Bernie stays in the game, he’ll keep pounding on her credibility as will all Bernie’s supporters. That is happening in liberal households and in liberal press. Come general election a good chunk of the base won’t be energized to ‘get out the vote’

It was very different with Obama, who was a bright shiny object without blemishes in '08.

I think her base is more loyal than that, and I also think the whole email thing will disappear in a puff of smoke way, way before election time.

The Democratic Party is divided, but the GOP is more divided.

This POLITICO writer makes the point better than I can

Hillary’s ‘She’s a Liar’ Problem
Bernie’s strength could open a rift in the party hard to close by November.
**… **

When Clinton declared “I am a progressive,” the Sanders crowd chanted, “she’s a liar!”

The Iowa entrance poll indicates the angry sentiment is not limited to a few rabble-rousers. Approximately half of Sanders’ voters said Clinton doesn’t “share” their “values.” That animosity reveals a deep ideological divide that will become harder to bridge the longer the race goes on.
[LEFT]. . .

Read more: politico.com/magazine/story/2016/02/clinton-sanders-2016-democrats-great-divide-213585#ixzz3z4JDzTyR
[/LEFT]

Lily, FWIW which I know is not much, although I did get IA right on both sides :smiley: I’m feeling good about a very solid win in NH for Bernie. I was even if IA hadn’t been a virtual tie. NH should be an ideal place for him. I’m still feeling less confident than you are about beyond. Because I keep hearing the Democratic electorate in states coming up after NH and in March right now still look quite strong for Hillary. But things can change quickly in politics.

Both party’s nominees are selected by delegates, determined and assigned by the voting. In the end, it’s the delegate math that counts regardless of the party. Tune into the GOP convention and you will see their delegates in Cleveland July 18-21. The Democrats in Philly the following wk.

I hope Bernie can pick up some momentum nationally, Sy. I know Clinton is very strong, though. She seems to have the African-American and the Hispanic vote.

The only thing that can keep Hillary Clinton from getting the Democrat party nomination is the FBI . Sanders has no chance whatsoever of getting the nomination . It makes for good press and higher ratings to pump up Sanders as a threat to Hillary but the truth is he hasn’t got a chance . If Hillary does gets indicted and has to drop out the Democrat Party will quickly change the rules to allow an alternate candidate to come in and make sure Sanders does not get the nomination . I would suspect it would be Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren or both

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.