Cloistered Redemptorist Nuns

I am trying to trace an article or website I found on the web a few years back about a cloistered monastery of redemptorist nuns who's mother superior went mentally ill and locked them in for a period of time. I believe they were in Latin America or some other spanish-speaking part of the world. I thought this brought up interesting issues of the faith and obedience of these nuns and would like to view this article again and/or get information about them and what happened to them. Thanks and God bless,

[quote="tableone, post:1, topic:276138"]
I am trying to trace an article or website I found on the web a few years back about a cloistered monastery of redemptorist nuns who's mother superior went mentally ill and locked them in for a period of time. I believe they were in Latin America or some other spanish-speaking part of the world. I thought this brought up interesting issues of the faith and obedience of these nuns and would like to view this article again and/or get information about them and what happened to them. Thanks and God bless,

[/quote]

I don't have the URL for it, but I know what you're talking about.

I'm wanting to say their link is on the site we built for the Aussie OSsR nuns.

cloisters.tripod.com/au_ossr_bolwarra/

If not, just google Redemptoristine nuns or Papastronsay Redemptorists and that should pull it up.

Blessings,
Cloisters

HI:
I'm sorry, I could not find anywhere on the you listed website about these Spanish-speaking? nuns who were locked in for a while...I don't remember what country they were in, and my searches on the web have produced nothing. If you could advise me on what to search under I'd be grateful. I've tried searching all the titles I can think of. Thanks,

It happened in Brazil. As Cloisters said, they are on the Sons of the Holy Redeemer Blog
& also try googling "Madres Redentoristas em Sao Fidelis, RJ, Brasil"....There are only 4 left now. They are the only Redemptoristines in the world that continue to wear the original habit & follow the original rule. They are under the care of the Bishop in the Apostolic Administration of Campos (RJ) & are approved by the Holy See. Brazil speaks Portuguese, not Spanish....

[quote="HOLYHEARTS, post:4, topic:276138"]
It happened in Brazil. As Cloisters said, they are on the Sons of the Holy Redeemer Blog
& also try googling "Madres Redentoristas em Sao Fidelis, RJ, Brasil"....There are only 4 left now. They are the only Redemptoristines in the world that continue to wear the original habit & follow the original rule. They are under the care of the Bishop in the Apostolic Administration of Campos (RJ) & are approved by the Holy See. Brazil speaks Portuguese, not Spanish....

[/quote]

They follow the Falcoia rule, not the original given to Ven Celeste. The original habit never had a scapular. That was added by St Alphonsus. Our Celestine Redemptoristines will follow the original rule and wear the original habit. The original rule included a rule for hermits at the end.

Sons of the Most Holy Redeemer: papastronsay.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Cloisters

Thank you to Holy Hearts and to Cloisters for this info. Thanks to you both I did finally find the original page I had viewed some years ago. Yes, you were both right, it was on the monks page…sorry, I hadn’t been looking on the correct part of their page. Anyway, I’m happy to have found it. I also found their own blog page.

I am still very interested to find out if anyone has written any other articles about this…I guess I will write to the bishop of Campos and ask. I find it very interesting that they were obedient to their superior for so long. I suppose I could also write to them directly.

God bless,
Tableone

Yes, do contact Bishop Rifan. He speaks perfect English. The Nuns, however do not speak any English. That is their drawback to receiving foreign vocations.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.