Clooney hits out at 'traitor' tag

**Clooney hits out at ‘traitor’ tag **

Actor George Clooney has attacked the press in the United States for describing him as a "traitor."
Clooney - known as a prominent critic of the Bush government - told the BBC that he had been “nailed” in the American media following his vocal opposition to ongoing conflict in Iraq.

He has previously claimed that one magazine even published a front cover of him with the word “traitor” across it.

The actor is currently in two Oscar-nominated films, Good Night, And Good Luck and Syriana, which both have a political message.

“I’ve been nailed in the American press as a traitor to my country because I said we should ask questions before we went to war,” he told the BBC.

“But I never held a press conference saying ‘this is what you should think’. I asked questions and said ‘these are the questions that I believe I have the right to ask’ - which is what our government was founded on.”

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4745104.stm

So is Clooney a traitor?

Ooh, thanks. I didn’t catch the interview on Friday night and knew I had something I wanted to catch up on. It can be seen here

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/review/4744574.stm

for another few days.

I saw Good Night and Good Luck last weekend. I rather enjoyed it.

The answer to the poll btw - no! :slight_smile:

Mike

First of all, I don’t think he’s a traitor. Not in the least. I really don’t know what he’s talking about. He’s had some words with Bill O’Reilly in the past. I’m not sure what magazine he’s talking about either.

Overall I think he’s a talented actor. I may not agree with his politics but I would never boycott his work over it. Frankly I’ve never even given him that much thought before.

i think one of the signs of a healthy democracy is the right to disagree with your government, long may the people with different opinions keep doing so, for then we know our system is working

trai·tor cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/amacr.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifthttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gifr)
n.

One who betrays one’s country, a cause, or a trust, especially one who commits treason.

I am at a loss as to why anyone would care what George Clooney says?

Because he’s an American citizen…
He’s a tax payer
He’s knowledgable (whether you agree with him or not)
He has the right to voice his opinion

…and do you “care” what others think of your opinions?

Of course you do…or you wouldnt be here…

So thats why you should care about Clooney’s…unless you have the attitude that liberals arent intelligent and only celebs like Gary Sinese and Toby Keith should be heard cause they agree with Mr Bush.

[quote=estesbob]I am at a loss as to why anyone would care what George Clooney says?
[/quote]

Exactly. I pay no attention to him either.

Clooney is irrelevant. Hollywood is irrelevant.

PF

[quote=MikeWM]Ooh, thanks. I didn’t catch the interview on Friday night and knew I had something I wanted to catch up on. It can be seen here

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/review/4744574.stm

for another few days.

I saw Good Night and Good Luck last weekend. I rather enjoyed it.

The answer to the poll btw - no! :slight_smile:

Mike
[/quote]

Have you seen Syriana?

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Clooney is irrelevant. Hollywood is irrelevant.

PF
[/quote]

You’ve got that right! We have to quit giving them any notice except when they make a good movie.

Like I say, don’t feed the trolls.

[quote=gilliam]Have you seen Syriana?
[/quote]

It’s not out in the UK yet. I think it’s out next weekend, or maybe the one after. Having been warned in that Newsnight special that it contains graphic torture scenes though, I may well not do so anyway. We’ll see.

Mike

He may be an idiot, but I don’t think he is a traitor.

I certainly don’t think most liberals are UNintelligent.

I Do, however, believe most liberals are Godless.

Yea, what he said.

I’m at a loss as to why anyone would care what I have to say or anyone else on this forum actually. But that doesn’t stop us.

Based upon George’s public image I conclude that he is unpatriotic. His opinions / bias is typically left, anti-military, blame America first and whiney.
Oh yes…and tedious.

Who was it? Samuel Johnson? Who said that “patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel”?

If the ability to publicly disagree with the government is “treason” then we have ceased to be Americans, IMHO.

Like the old Soviet Union Joke:
American: “We have such freedom in the USA that I can stand in front of the White House and denounce President Reagan as a war-mongering idiot lackey of the business interests”

Briton: “We have such freedom in Britain that I can stand in the middle of White Hall and denounce Prime Minister Thatcher as a war-mongering idiot lackey of the business interests”

Soviet Russian: That is nothing, why I have such freedom that I can do both of those things in Red Square!!"

If the ability to publicly disagree with the government is “treason” then we have ceased to be Americans

Agreed.
AND, we may as well chuck the 1st amendment while at it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.