Closeness Patriarch Kirill- Bishop Benedict - Osservatore romano

In the official organ of the holy throne, the paper Osservatore romano, is published a detailed exposition of the announcement of Most Holy Patriarch of Moskow and all Rus’ Kirill at the Arch-priestly meeting dedicated to the first anniversary of his intronizatsion. This article in Roman paper was published under the heading “Patriarch Kirill emphasizes closeness with Benedict XVI” . “In the struggle with calls of modernity the Roman Catholic church, in distinction from many protestant confessions, shows itself a cooperator of the Moscow Patriarchate.” - putting in press the words of Most Holy Patriarch Kirill. “Our positions come together on many problems which the modern world places before Christians. These problems are aggressive secularization, globalization, erasing norms of traditional morality. It is worth mentioning that on these questions the continuous position occupied by Pope Roman Benedict XVI is close to the Orthodox.” This citation was mentioned in Roman journal article.

Words are nice, but it would be nice if the MP would actually meet with the Pope, unlike his brother Patriarchs of Constantinople who have all met directly with the Pope for the last fifty years.

Some kind Soviet times designation - only call Patriarch of Moskow MP?? But Pope is not P and Patriarch of Constantinople is not CP. Why?? Is head of your church the KP,C? to separate from KP,O?? This is not very friendly.

And for 50 years, brother, we find in Soviet times. This was very difficult time for all believers. But there many contacts during Vatican Sobor 2 with Orthodox Church including Mitropolit Nikodim Leningradskij-Ladojhskij. Such Mitropolit was even to die in front of Bishop of rome Paul and who then was praying for him mystery of soborification.
/
Times now different. Patriarch Constantinople needs help outside, especially West to even exist in Turkey. He has no spiritual academy, no possible future without West. But such help comes of course with price. Patriarch Kirill different situation. Renaissance of orfthodox church in former Soviet Union.

I agree Father Deacon. Well, it would help even better to clear the air for the MP to be forthright about his past as a Soviet Agent for the K.G.B. as reported in this article in the Times:

timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article5594067.ece

In 1972, Kirill was appointed the Russian Orthodox Church’s rep. to the World Council of Churches during Soviet times. Now for this to happen at his young age he had to be in the K.G.B.'s goodbooks.

Kirill’s secret police codename was “Mikhailov” I believe Patriarch Filaret of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kyivan Patriarchate renounced his past activities in the Soviet Union and asked forgiveness. Kirill never did, and this is why I do not respect him.

We all as Christains, even the highest, must confess openly and honestly our sins before God. Not once has Kirill disavowed his past with the K.G.B. If we common lay sinners can do it, all the more so the head of a Church who should at least admit his past.

But then again, maybe the current MP saw nothing wrong working for the Soviet State, just as he now works for the Russian State.

Let the MP disavow what he did or may have done for the K.G.B. Let him repent, just the same way we all here on CAF are called to repent and ask forgiveness for our sins. Let him do this before his Russian Orthodox faithful to show he turned a new leaf as even the Russian Orthodox Church in the diaspora for the longest time refused to reunite with the Church in Russia out of the real fear that it was secret-police controlled, a fear with some foundation.

1 Like

\
Kirill’s secret police codename was “Mikhailov” I believe Patriarch Filaret of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kyivan Patriarchate renounced his past activities in the Soviet Union and asked forgiveness. Kirill never did, and this is why I do not respect him.\

Is it just possible that His Holiness Kirill was never a KGB agent?

Brat’ Volodymyr, “MP” is a standard abbreviation for the Moscow Patriachate used even by Orthodox in English-speaking areas. I do not intend it to be deragatory, and this is the first time I have heard it taken so. I certainly don’t mind His Holiness +Filaret referred to as the “KP” or my own Patriarch +Lubomyr referred to in the context of “UGCC”.

I thank you for bringing up the holy witness of Metropolitan Nikodim of blessed memory, and may he pray for all of us.

While certainly the Soviet times were difficult, the MP could have travelled if he wished (he did so to other countries during that time, both Pimen and Alexeii II).

But that argument is no longer valid. Decades after the “official” end of the Soviet regime, the MP still has not visited the Pope. One cannot dispute the difficulties of the EP living under Turkish rule and coersion, and yet he is able to make the effort and gesture.

1 Like

Is it just possible that His Holiness Kirill was never a KGB agent?

He was “Mikhailov” in the KGB archives as Andrew has correctly pointed out (Keston and other outside research corroborates this as well). +Kirill as nearly all of the “External Affairs” notaries of the MP during Soviet times were KGB operatives at one time or another. And as Andrew has rightly observed, some bishops have honestly admitted to this and asked forgiveness. Others have not.

1 Like

I’ve always seen the Moscow Patriarch called MP for short the same as the Ecumenical Patriarch is EP. I’ve never seen this done in disrespect. Also, if you go to any Orthodox Web forum people always use EP and MP as a shorthand.

You guys do not know what Patriarch Kirill has confessed. Were you guys with him while he was confessing to his Spiritual Father? Patriarch Alexi II said compromises were made during Soviet times and that was not a good thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.