Closer to convalidation!

So DH and I completed our REFOCCUS sessions this weekend, so sometime this week or early next we will have our marriage convalidated! I'm beyond excited at this and am hoping to convey to my husband that no matter how long we've been married and no matter how AWESOME it has been, I want this to be a new beginning of a deeper relationship. He's already my best friend...I'm excited to see what He has in store for us. I am still praying for his conversion.

So Pentecost is a GO! for my confirmation! Two hours after I'm confirmed, our baby will be baptized!

Yay!!

congrats! hmm..why is the baby not baptized yet? Limbo is pretty permanent...you can do a quickly baptism yourself then have it validated by the priest. I'm a real stickler about baptism because it secures the covenant.

Congratulations on your upcoming confirmation, convalidation, and the baptism of your baby! It will be an exciting week for you. God bless!

It’s a baby. Baptisms are usually scheduled and occur after the parents have attended baptismal classes. I’m not sure why you assume there has been a delay. She did not mention the age of her baby.

Limbo is not a doctrine of the Church.

No, she may not do this unless there is an immediate danger of death. It is a violation of Church law to attempt what you propose. And a priest does not “validate” a baptism.

[quote="heathernoel, post:1, topic:242096"]
So DH and I completed our REFOCCUS sessions this weekend, so sometime this week or early next we will have our marriage convalidated! I'm beyond excited at this and am hoping to convey to my husband that no matter how long we've been married and no matter how AWESOME it has been, I want this to be a new beginning of a deeper relationship. He's already my best friend...I'm excited to see what He has in store for us. I am still praying for his conversion.

So Pentecost is a GO! for my confirmation! Two hours after I'm confirmed, our baby will be baptized!

Yay!!

[/quote]

Congratulations!

A little refresher course in the Catholic faith here. From The Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1258 The Church has always held the firm conviction that those who suffer death for the sake of the faith without having received Baptism are baptized by their death for and with Christ. This Baptism of blood, like the desire for Baptism, brings about the fruits of Baptism without being a sacrament.

1259 For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

If catechumens desire baptism for themselves, or parents desire baptism for their children, but death occurs before baptism, they are said to have received the “baptism of desire.” God knows and judges our hearts. Otherwise, every mother or father should be spitting on their children and saying the words of baptism before the umbilical cord is cut.

To the OP – CONGRATULATIONS!!! And WELCOME HOME!!! :extrahappy:

I’ll join my prayers to yours for the conversion of your husband.

Gertie

1K...Wow....i was taught limbo is a real place, and all children go there if not baptized. When did this teaching change?

Um....if you're living, your dying. It is impending danger.

baptism classes? What? You are vowing that you will raise your child as a Catholic, and reject Satan. Why do i need a class to understand that? Boy..the church and her classes.......

oh i was under the impression baptism of the blood was a new order, implimented by PJII...that Baptism had 3 forms. 1) blood 2) water 3) spirit.

(grumble) i really don't like this constant revising of the Cathecism....Just give me the baltimore version and call it good.

Then i violated church law...the priest asked me why i did it, and i told him it because the first breath means we're dying, and that baptism is necessary for salvation. Since i did not know if a priest would even be willing to do it, i did it myself. He didn't scold me....(shrug) Just re-did it to make it official with my family and my God parents for my son.

Catheriena, it’s really best not to hijack someone else’s thread with your unrelated questions and comments :blush: You have great questions, so you may want to start your own thread in the apologetics forum, or in the liturgy and sacraments forum.

Meanwhile, once again, dear heathernoel, thanks for sharing the good news! :thumbsup:

Gertie

[quote="Catheriena, post:7, topic:242096"]
i was taught limbo is a real place, and all children go there if not baptized. When did this teaching change?

[/quote]

The teaching has not changed. It has never been a doctrine of the Church.

Um....if you're living, your dying. It is impending danger.

[/quote]

Immediate danger of death, not "someday I will die." A baby without any serious health condition is not in immediate danger of death. The canons specify the minister and conditions of baptism outside danger of death.

baptism classes? What? You are vowing that you will raise your child as a Catholic, and reject Satan. Why do i need a class to understand that? Boy..the church and her classes.......

[/quote]

Yes, baptism classes. This may be a group class in a large parish, or a one-on-one meeting or two with the priest in a smaller parish. This ensures that the parents are canonically able to baptize their child and that they fully understand what they are undertaking.

Please be a little more gentle with me. Did you know that I have lost two sons and only one was baptized because a PRIEST told me he didn't need to be baptized if he died more than four hours before birth? I cry and pray about him nightly because I feel I've damned him.

My daughter isn't baptized because she's our last, and considering our journey, our priest and deacon (for whom we named said son) honored our desire for us to enter into this covenant together.

:(:(

Now I feel horribly.

Thank you, brothers and sisters, for your warm welcome. I'm SO excited!!!

[quote="heathernoel, post:13, topic:242096"]
Now I feel horribly.

[/quote]

Lots of people come here with various understandings or misunderstandings of Catholic teaching, and their own set of issues.

So, please listen to your priest and not random people on the internet. Do not be troubled. You came here to post something joyous. Do not be sidetracked from that.

[quote="heathernoel, post:13, topic:242096"]
Please be a little more gentle with me. Did you know that I have lost two sons and only one was baptized because a PRIEST told me he didn't need to be baptized if he died more than four hours before birth? I cry and pray about him nightly because I feel I've damned him.

My daughter isn't baptized because she's our last, and considering our journey, our priest and deacon (for whom we named said son) honored our desire for us to enter into this covenant together.

:(:(

Now I feel horribly.

Thank you, brothers and sisters, for your warm welcome. I'm SO excited!!!

[/quote]

Dear one, place your trust in God's mercy, as is the belief of the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. As much as you love and long for your lost children, that love is only a tiny drop of water compared to the infinite love and longing of God for the beautiful souls He created when He created your children in your womb. You can trust in His mercy and His love for them :thumbsup:

Don't let one poster shake your faith. Trust in God and see what 1ke and I have said above as well. You have not damned your child!

Gertie

aww heat, i am a heretic, don't listen to me. Obviously i don't know my faith, also, your child was baptised in the blood and spirit..your intentions matter. Do not fret, and i'm sorry i upset you. Never feel like you damned your child. You didn't.

UGH why can't i delete the giant foot in my mouth. I apologize.

ty!!

I can appreciate being passionate about the Church and canon :) CAF has been PHENOMENAL! There are times when my grief leads me to question circumstances around my childrens' deaths and someone is always here to help me through it. So I thank you all!

I felt the need to have her baptized right away. But honestly? Post Partum depression set in (I'd been pregnant three years in a row and only brought home one baby. It was really bittersweet) and I retreated. DH is a non practicing Catholic, and I shut myself off from the world.

But I'm back! And we are on our way!!!

Heather - you are doing the right things in the right ways.

One of the reasons for the baptismal classes being so insisted upon is the fine mess my parents generation has got my generation in. You know the one where they laid the baptismal down because children were expected to be baptized but then did not have enough understanding themselves to actually teach said children Catholicism. My parents were married in the Catholic Church and baptized two children Protestant as they thought this was a valid compromise. I happenned to be one of them. My brother is now a non-practicing anything. I am a Catholic.

On the other Catholic side of the family the children all went through their Sacraments because they were supposed to but not one of them ever lived anywhere close to what they meant because they were not taught.

So this is the answer as to why the classes. Otherwise a child is being strapped with responsibilites and obligations with no knowledge on how to fulfill them. In laymen’s terms it is setting a child up for failure.

Congrats heather.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.