CMRI Questions and Discussion

Greetings.

I have read a little about the **CMRI **(Congregation of Mary Immaculate Queen) and just wanted to get more information and advice from the Catholics on this forum.

I have read that the CMRI hold the beliefs that outside the Catholic Faith one can be saved, and that they advocate birth control by means of natural family planning. I am not sure what it is they believe but if these beliefs are their beliefs, does this coincide with the teaching of the Catholic Church?

In addition, are the CMRI priests ordained in the OLD RITE (traditional) validly, meaning they can hear confessions validly?

GOD bless.

The Church is not against birth control. It is against artificial birth control but there are no prohibitions against using natural family planning as a means of birth control. We must make that distinction.

What are you references?

What about these?:

Pope Pius XI, Casti Connubii (# 59), Dec. 31, 1930: “Nor are those considered as acting against nature who in the married state use their right in the proper manner although on account of natural reasons either of time or of certain defects, new life cannot be brought forth. For in matrimony as well as in the use of the matrimonial right there are also secondary ends, such as mutual aid, the cultivating of mutual love, and the quieting of concupiscence which husband and wife are not forbidden to consider SO LONG AS THEY ARE SUBORDINATED TO THE PRIMARY END and so long as the intrinsic nature of the act is preserved.”

Pope Pius XI, Casti Connubii (# 17), Dec. 31, 1930: “The primary end of marriage is the procreation and the education of children.”

**Pope Pius XI, Casti Connubii (# 54), Dec. 31, 1930: **“Since, therefore, the conjugal act is destined primarily by nature for the begetting of children, those who in exercising it deliberately frustrate its natural powers and purpose sin against nature and commit a deed which is shameful and intrinsically vicious.”

MMLJ,

Casti Connubii is making reference to abstaining during certain times which is NFP.

Yes, they are ordained in the traditional rite…

HOWEVER, they are sedavacantists. They don’t believe Pope Benedict XVI is a valid pope and reject the current Mass.

Finally! Five posts down and a concise and factual reply as to the status of the CMRI.

I would also like to add this group hasn’t recognized any popes since Pius XII, who died in 1958. As well as rejecting all of Vatican II.

In short, they are not Catholic, inspite of all appearances and their claims to the contrary.

Yes, those beliefs are doctrines of the Catholic Church. The Church does not support artificial contraception, and that there is no salvatation outside the Church is binding dogma.

However, this group is not in communion with Rome. They are sedevacantists who do not recognize any popes after Pius XII as valid. They also deny the validity of the new Mass and the new rite of Ordination.

As for their confessions, I cannot give a definate answer. The power to forgive sins comes to the priest through the local ordinary (his bishop) and down from the Apostles. Though the CMRI does not have any bishops who have authority from Rome, they do have valid bishops of their own.

[quote=MMLJ]What are you references?
[/quote]

Read Humane Vitae. It will clear up any questions that you have concerning the use of artificial birth control.

I maintain that the Church is not against birth control because it allows the use of Natural Family Planning as a means of spacing births.

However, the sexual act must always remain open to human life. The Church condemns artificial birth control such as condoms and pills as a means to prevent life. It does not say that couples cannot use the natural family planning. So in that sense, the Church is not against birth control.

In addition, are the CMRI priests ordained in the OLD RITE (traditional) validly, meaning they can hear confessions validly?

:confused: Please explain.

I apologize if I was not clear.

Are CMRI priests ordained in the OLD RITE? (some have already answered this with Yes)
If so, is it valid and licit?
Since something can be valid but illicit.

Also someone has posted saying that these priests are not Catholic.
If they are Sedevacantists, can these priests administer the sacraments?
Can someone elaborate with references if possible?

I do not know who ordained the priests in question, but without faculties to hear confessions, they are not valid.

This should be an easy one for you to answer.

Even with their own bishop they can not validly practice the Sacrament of Reconciliation for a Catholic as they are not Catholic.

Same would go for an Orthodox priest.

They can hear confessions from members of their own Churches but not members from the Catholic Church.

And unlike a priest of the SSPX, they can not even do so in an emergency as they are not Catholic priests.

Here’s an external reference: CMRI-Religious Congregation of Mary Immaculate Queen

Look schismatic. :frowning:

What does the Church say of the CMRI?

Who ordains the CMRI priests?

What authoritative source(s) are available so that I can get more information on the CMRI?

:smiley:

The CMRI is a schismatic group in the eyes of the Church. They are not in communion with Rome.

In the eyes of the CMRI the current Papacy is invalid, as are all bishops and priests ordained in the new Rite. Hence they do not recognize the authority of Pope Benedict XVI or any bishops in communion with him.

The CMRI has its own hierarchy with bishops and archbishops who ordain their priests.

I am not an advocate of the CMRI but I have read much of their material. They most certainly hold to the dogma “Of Outside the Church There Is No Salvation,” but they do not hold to the Feenyite theory ie: they believe in Baptism of Blood and of Desire, and so their beliefs on this topic are inline with Church Tradition, and therefore the teachings of the Church today.
You can find their theology on EENS here:

cmri.org/02-baptism_blood-desire_stalph.html

Here’s an article on NFP:

cmri.org/03-nfp.html

They are sedevacantist, so take some of their stuff with a grain of salt. They do celebrate the Traditional Latin Mass, but regard the Mass of Blessed John XXIII (1962 Missal) as heretical and only celebrate Mass according to the changes made by Venerable Pius XII.

Why does the CMRI regard the 1962 missal as heretical?

What missal do they use?

Because they do not accept John XXIII as Pope.

I think, consequently, unlike most traditionalists, they use the missal with everything as it was at the death of Pius XII, which means including the changes of the Holy Week and the decree Cum Nostra pertaining to other parts of the missal.

They regard it as heretical because Bl. John XXIII (who they regard as an Anti-pope, so this point is important to remember), added St. Joseph to the canon and suppressed some of the prayers of the Mass. Of course they fail to realize the Pope has the right to do this, as the 1962 Missal is obviously continuos with the changes made by Venerable Pius XII.

If possible could you give the reason for this change by Pope John XXII? Since there must be a good reason why the CMRI considers the '62 missal as heretical.

Which prayers were suppressed and how is St.Joseph added to the canon?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.