CNN Don Lemon panel faces intense backlash for mocking Trump supporters as illiterate 'credulous rubes'

I give Buttgieg credit in this regard. He reached out to voters on Fox News, and stays away from insulting a large chunk of the electorate.

When did death threats start becoming a common way of expressing disagreement with someone’s position? It feels like I’ve heard of that happening a lot for a position that someone has stated.

Public figures get death threats all day long. It’s why they usually have other people handling their mail.

I used to work for a federal judge many years ago. Judges get threats all the time and they’re not even that public. There are protocols for dealing with anything that even looks or sounds remotely like a threat.

Many such threats come from mentally unbalanced individuals. Sometimes they even send the threat to some totally wrong person who has nothing to do with whatever they’re threatening about.

Just remember for every death threat you actually hear about, there are probably a few dozen you never even heard of that took up some security officer’s day.

1 Like

It’s carny slang I believe as well and used for people outside the carny world who were considered ignorant outsiders.

The interesting thing about the article is that aside from Trump, they don’t say where the intense backlash is coming from, they just say there is, then veer off into other criticisms. It almost reads like fox is saying “oh boy CNN, wait until we tell our viewers to be angry about this.”

I wouldn’t say that the pro-life end of the political spectrum is depicted as dim-witted. Those who oppose abortion are too often depicted as oppressive and controlling of women, as religious fundamentalists who are the enemies of liberty. The rhetoric gets that extreme. The wealthy are not enterprising but oppressive or the poor are actually free-loaders who live off the labor of the enterprising. You know the list could go on and on through just about every major political division.

Our rhetoric does get to the point that it can fairly be described as demonization. No, I don’t think we’re going to have a literal civil war (mainly because I think the military is relatively sane). I think we may suffer from societal decline simply because we will increasingly fail to be able to put together group efforts that we all trust.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.