CNN gutter talk complaint awaits review at FCC

The Federal Communications Commission will review complaints it receives over the on-camera gutter talk of anchors for CNN and MSNBC that came as they condemned the tea party movement in which hundreds of thousands of Americans met on Tax Day to protest not just taxes but a runaway government digging the nation into trillions of dollars in debt.

WND reported earlier on a series of vile comments from CNN’s Anderson Cooper, who made repeated “teabagging” references, and MSNBC’s David Shuster, who said, “Teabagging day for the right wing and they are going nuts for it.”

“Tea-bagging” is known in the homosexual subculture as a practice involving a particular form of oral sex.

wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=96049

I never heard about “teabagging” either until I heard some kids explain it. In addition to homosexual practices, it seems to be also a tacit used by schoolyard bullies when they take down another and, fully clothed of course, rub their crotch in the victim’s face. I’m sure a psychologist would have something to say here.

In view of this, I can’t help wondering if the protesters didn’t consider what they might prompt by hanging teabags from body parts.

that assumes they knew the slang meanings, and i doubt that very many if any did.

If very many did not understand the reference, why the righteous indignation by some? This issue seems kind of thin to me.

how about this is a country founded on protest, we have a right to do it. the airwaves technically belong to the public, cnn broadcastswith our permission. there are rules and regulations that ensure decency and they violated them.

even if someone didnt particapate in or approve of the tea parties, it is hard to believe they would aprove of the vulagrity that spewed from the ‘reporters’ mouths. especially since it was clearly an attempt to demean and undermine a protest they disagreed with but could make no logical arguments against.

this is just another example of the lack of decency in this country and our acceptance of moral decay.

The point is if the people who said it knew ,and did it anyway they are nothing but smut peddlers

We should be held to standards of ethical behavior in this country especially what goes over the airways

I hope this country cares enough to set a good example of professional behavior

No one has the right to bring prurient material into other peoples homes …I hope they throw the book at them

It is sad that grown men resort to this type of filth…and grown women too

i agree, but i really think it was done just because they don’t care about the news at cnn, they care about pushing an agenda. these protests went against that agenda, and they had no intelligent rebuttal, so they responded like this. something you might expect from a 4 year old(not this exact langauge but the behavior) not a professional, which they have made it clear they arent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.