CNN's Piers Morgan Debates Atheist Ricky Gervais, Declares America a 'Very Christian Nation'

It’s not often that a CNN anchor declares America a “very Christian nation,” but that’s what new host Piers Morgan did on Thursday while debating atheist comedian Ricky Gervais. Morgan chided the entertainer for a joke he made while hosting last Sunday’s Golden Globes.

Morgan critiqued, “…I know American culture quite well now and they’re a very Christian nation here in America.” During the ceremony, Gervais sarcastically announced, “And thank you to God for making me an atheist.” Morgan derided this as “poking fun,” adding, “But you must be aware that a lot of people in America would potentially find that offensive.”

Read more: newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2011/01/22/cnns-piers-morgan-debates-atheist-ricky-gervais-declares-america-ver#ixzz1BoVBn6bt

Well of course he knew most Americans would find it offensive - his style of comedy is to set out to offend.

What I don't get is why Gervais seems to a) believe that (at least a large percentage of) people weren't offended by it and b) care, as if the reason he said the joke wasn't to make some people laugh by offending others. :shrug:

How Ricky became an atheist:

"There I was happily drawing my hero when my big brother Bob asked, 'Why do you believe in God?' Just a simple question. But my mum panicked. 'Bob', she said in a tone that I knew meant, 'Shut up'. Why was that a bad thing to ask? If there was a God and my faith was strong it didn’t matter what people said," he recalled.

"Oh… hang on. There is no God. He knows it, and she knows it deep down. It was as simple as that. I started thinking about it and asking more questions, and within an hour, I was an atheist."

digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a294751/ricky-gervais-i-used-to-believe-in-god.html

[quote="Abyssinia, post:3, topic:226766"]
How Ricky became an atheist:

"There I was happily drawing my hero when my big brother Bob asked, 'Why do you believe in God?' Just a simple question. But my mum panicked. 'Bob', she said in a tone that I knew meant, 'Shut up'. Why was that a bad thing to ask? If there was a God and my faith was strong it didn’t matter what people said," he recalled.

"Oh… hang on. There is no God. He knows it, and she knows it deep down. It was as simple as that. I started thinking about it and asking more questions, and within an hour, I was an atheist."

digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a294751/ricky-gervais-i-used-to-believe-in-god.html

[/quote]

Stupidist thing ever said. "We all know deep down there's no God?" what BS is that? And he converted after only an hour of thinking?! Man, if that's not taking the easy way out I don't know what is!

[quote="Pieman333272, post:4, topic:226766"]
Stupidist thing ever said. "We all know deep down there's no God?" what BS is that? And he converted after only an hour of thinking?! Man, if that's not taking the easy way out I don't know what is!

[/quote]

In the linked article, he failed to state to say how old he was at the time. If I recall correctly, in another interview (Actors Studio) he mentioned that he was 9 years old at the time of contemplation. :rolleyes: What a silly boy.

I work in a movie theatre and had to preview a copy Gervais’s film “Invention of Lying” a couple years ago.

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

The film takes place in a world where there is no lying. Everything truth. Ricky’s mom is dying and he badly wants to comfort her and suddenly he starts telling her of God and Heaven. Word catches quickly about God and Heaven and he’s a media sensation. The end of the film he sadly tells the world that there was no God and Heaven and that he made it all up to comfort people.

It was one incredibly long atheistic propaganda piece. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes more films like this.

[quote="Abyssinia, post:3, topic:226766"]
"There I was happily drawing my hero when my big brother Bob asked, 'Why do you believe in God?' Just a simple question. But my mum panicked. 'Bob', she said in a tone that I knew meant, 'Shut up'. Why was that a bad thing to ask? If there was a God and my faith was strong it didn’t matter what people said," he recalled.]

[/quote]

However he became an atheist, that wasn't how.

Since he does not believe our testimony, we need not believe his.

The testimony, as lawyers are apt to say, is self serving.

Here's what probably happened.

Young Rick was teasing another boy to tears, because he was clever then, just like now. The other children cheered him on. Lord of the Flies, right?

Young Rick loved the attention. Loved the power. Torture is fun!

Ah, but then the voice of conscience. "This is wrong."

What to do? Give up the conscience, or the Christ?

He has told us which was foresaken.

But the story: if he tells us the truth, so much for the "friendly, moral face of atheism" that is the latest fad.

Hence the legend about the scales dropping from the little Rick's eyes. After all, what is truth?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.