CNSNews.com Atheist Group Calls on Obama to Endorse ‘National Day of Reason' Instead of 'National Day of Prayer'

The atheists who think they have monopoly on reason are so arrogant.

An atheist group is calling on President Obama to ditch the National Day of Prayer and formally recognize its own “non-theist” version called “The National Day of Reason.”

Last week, a federal judge in Madison, Wis., ruled that the law designating the first Thursday in May to be the National Day of Prayer is unconstitutional because, the judge said, it negatively impacts non-believers.

A White House spokesman indicated last Friday, however, that President Obama will formally recognize the May 6 observance of the National Day of Prayer with a proclamation because the judge’s order barring the observance would not take effect until after the appeals process had been exhausted.

But the Washington, D.C.-based American Humanist Association is urging the president to recognize instead the “National Day of Reason” – the atheist movement’s “response” to the National Day of Prayer.

cnsnews.com/news/article/64358[FONT=“Verdana”][/FONT]

I wish these so-called atheists would be more honest and advocate a National Day of Narcisissm.

Or a National Day of Minding Your Own Business. :stuck_out_tongue:

"Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves."
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_15101998_fides-et-ratio_en.html

I tend to not get too agitated by such efforts. (I just think the money wasted on such pointless endeavors could be put to much better use - Habitat for Humanity, Haiti, etc.) Truth is the operative word here. Where there is Reason, ultimately Truth will triumph. Catholics have both Truth and Reason on their side. A Day of Reason is as Christian as is a Day of Prayer. One just should not eliminate the other. Let’s celebrate both! Faith and Reason are not mutually exclusive. Perhaps if we, as Christians, supported the concept of a Day of Reason, in addition to a National Day of Prayer, perhaps more constructive dialog would result. We are certainly not opposed to Reason! Let’s pray about it! :slight_smile:

Don’t these guys understand the Government isn’t suppose to endorse one religious view over another?

An if Atheism isn’t a religious view why protect it under the constitution.

[quote="cyberwolf001, post:6, topic:195462"]
Don't these guys understand the Government isn't suppose to endorse one religious view over another?

[/quote]

Oh, I think they do. Their proposal, I suspect, is simply a PR stunt to get them some attention, and is not a serious proposal. And if it directs some negative attention towards the National Day of Prayer, that's a bonus for them.

[quote="Dale_M, post:7, topic:195462"]
Oh, I think they do. Their proposal, I suspect, is simply a PR stunt to get them some attention, and is not a serious proposal. And if it directs some negative attention towards the National Day of Prayer, that's a bonus for them.

[/quote]

Maybe we should see the added attention on the National Day of Prayer as a bonus for us!! Perhaps it will serve to strengthen the resolve of those of us who do observe prayer, not just on this day, but every day. As a parallel, Mother's Day has always bothered me, not because Mothers don't deserve to be honored, but, because it seems to relinquish that honor to just one day out of the year. Every day should be 'Mother's Day'. Every day should be the Lord's Day, deserving of our prayers.

A “National Day of Reason” huh, I presume it would be a day devoted to discussing the works of St. Thomas Aquinas :slight_smile:

[quote="Brendan, post:9, topic:195462"]
A "National Day of Reason" huh, I presume it would be a day devoted to discussing the works of St. Thomas Aquinas :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

How about a National Day of “I’ll Give You A Reason To Pray” .:tsktsk:

[quote="Dale_M, post:7, topic:195462"]

[/quote]

True. I never got the we are not a religion then demanding religious protection thing...

[quote="Brendan, post:9, topic:195462"]
A "National Day of Reason" huh, I presume it would be a day devoted to discussing the works of St. Thomas Aquinas :)

[/quote]

Don't you know Reason = Being an Atheist and a materialist.

Next thing they’ll be pushing for is a charity tax for Christians. Do something nice for another person in Jesus’ name and pay a tax everytime you do it. Put money in the parish collection, pay a tax.

The only “dialogue” that is acceptable for militant atheists like Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens, is for Christians to admit that the whole of Christianity is based on a deceptive lie. They are not interested in dialogue. They aggressively focus their attention on Christians and avoid irritating Jews and Moslems. To me, that shows that Christians have struck a nerve with them. Good. At least some of us are taking Our Lord’s Great Commission seriously.

I say if they repeal The National Day of Prayer, Christians everywhere should ignore it, and continue to boldly pray and spread the Good News in public. If Jesus isn’t welcome in every place, then He isn’t welcome any place. People who are afraid to stand up and profess their faith and spead the Good News of Salvation deserve to join their unrepentant militant atheist compatriots and be separated from the friendship of God eternally.

I have seen zero evidence that a dialog is desired. This is seen primarily as a power struggle. If you don’t believe me just go to some antitheist forums. God is mocked, faith is mocked, and even here, the Bible is that mythical book written by a bunch of Bronze age sheep herders.

Dialog would be preferable but, as is obvious here, if you don’t believe the earth if of a certain age or believe a certain theory, you are an enemy of science, and therefore, reason.

In the thoroughly godless mindset, reason means the mind of man is exalted above all, including the Christian God and any other god you might care to name. Science Fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke clarified that thinking by stating that man will become more powerful than any god we can imagine.

Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil goes about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. The mind of man is the new idol.

God bless,
Ed

[quote="cyberwolf001, post:12, topic:195462"]
True. I never got the we are not a religion then demanding religious protection thing...

[/quote]

To be clear, atheism isn't a religion -- in the same way that theism is not a religion -- but when dealing with issues of civil liberties for people who don't have god beliefs, it gets lumped into the "religion" category for purposes of convenience.

It's similar to the way that bald is not a hair color, but it is included under the "hair color" category in a lot of video games that let you construct a character. Its inclusion in that category doesn't suddenly make it a hair color -- it's just placed there for convenience.

And on a side note, I'm quite pleased that this "National Day of Prayer" thing was shot down.

While I think keeping the Day of Prayer is a good idea, I think adding a Day of Reason would be useful as well. I think it would benefit schoolkids everywhere to learn about philosophy and how it shapes policy, society, shared morality etc. I think it could be very beneficial in that way.

I’m quite pleased that this “National Day of Prayer” thing was shot down.:confused:

news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/21/congressional-group-to-support-day-of-prayer/
Congressional group to support Day of Prayer
“The Obama administration has said that Obama still intends to recognize this year’s National Day of Prayer on May 6.” This is as it should be. It infringes on no one’s rights. :nope: No one is **forced **to pray. How could it be a bad thing?? :confused:

By "shot down," of course, I was referencing the fact that it was declared unconstitutional.

As always, brevity is the enemy of clarity.

If atheism isn’t a religion, what is it? I mean if atheists speak as a group, aren’t all of you demanding recognition of your belief system?

God bless,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.