Co-ed bunking at college?

catholicculture.org/commentary/otr.cfm?id=5155

Apparently, Emerson College will allow the genders to room together. The above is the article. Question is will Catholic institutions follow? Bets are on that Georgetown will follow suit in seven years as well as Holy Cross. WOW!

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about co-ed floors at college/university.
I was shocked when my youngest started university and found that it was hard to get an all-male or all-female floor.
This idea of co-ed bunking is something that I can't really believe. :eek::eek:

Another reason not to send your kid away to an indoctrination machine. You may need the degree, but you don't need the brainwashing. Of course, if your kid needs a particular school, has a scholarship, or some other exception, it's an even tougher call.

[quote="The_Reginator, post:2, topic:178174"]

I was shocked when my youngest started university and found that it was hard to get an all-male or all-female floor.

[/quote]

Really? I went to a large public university and prior to my first year (and subsequent years) you filled out a housing form that had check boxes for a building that was: all male, all female, coed, or housing by your tyep of degree. There were not any coed dorm rooms, but rather floors/buildings that had girls and guys residing in them. Mixed gender roommates were not allowed unless the two were married.

This idea of co-ed bunking is something that I can't really believe. :eek::eek:

[/quote]

Yeah, I know I would never be comfortable with it.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about co-ed floors at college/university.

[/quote]

I have 4 alma maters, and 3 are large public schools (all of which you would know). At those schools, all dorms are either single sex (the majority) or single-sex floors. In fact, the only dorms at any of those schools where you can have a male and female in the same room are the family living dorms, and you have to be married or a graduate student to request those dorms. At the private school, most dorms are single-floor but not all.

This would have made me extremely uncomfortable. I lived in a multi-sex dorm by floor my freshman year and even that took a bit of getting used to. Mostly because you had to traverse from bedroom down the hall to the bathroom and you never knew if you’d be running into a guy or not.

I wonder if this will be in a single building so that everyone in the building is comfortable with the multi-sex option or if it will be in all dorms and if you’re not comfortable you’re out of luck.

Most schools now have co-ed floors. If you live in a city, maybe it's best to have your collegian commute.

As someone who works in higher education, I think I can say that there are two things that colleges care about most: making money and not getting sued. They'll do anything to have both of those, especially the latter, because something big can harm their reputation, which is another thing colleges love to protect.

As to how that pertains to this discussion, I do think that most schools are going to go this way for living in their residence halls. My guess is going to be that something will happen between two roommates of opposite gender (i.e. a rape or sexual assault), and one school will start rethinking their policy. And once some start re-thinking it, I think others will follow.

For potential or current college parents who are concerned about safety and things on college campuses, all colleges and universities that receive federal financial aid are required to submit crime data as per the Clery Act. If any other parents have questions about college life, just shoot me a PM, and I will give the best answer that I can.

I would have been super uncomfortable with this. I went to a small private Catholic (but not very orthodox) liberal arts college and we had separate campuses for the genders. :D They had started out 2 separate colleges and then combined classes but kept the living arrangements on the separate campuses. It is just a 10 min bus ride or a short walk to class depending on where your classes were. It was an odd arrangement but I liked it.

Wow, I would be really uncomfortable with this, but I can't honestly say that I'm all that surprised to read this.

When I was in college, the freshmen dorms kept same-sex floors. (I went to a Catholic college, by the way.) So the building was co-ed, but the entire first floor would be girls, the second floor boys, etc. Between 2am and 6am, guys weren't allowed on girls' floors and vice versa. There was also the option of single gender buildings, and they were very small, usually housing less than 50 students. The sophomores and upperclassmen were given the choice of having suites. Each suite was single gender, but both boys and girls' suites were on every floor of the building. Each suite had it's own bathroom and shower, so you didn't have to worry about running into a guy on your way to the shower or anything like that.

My friend went to a public university. Almost all of their dorms were co-ed. The rooms were single gender, but there were both guys and girls on each floor. There were also no rules on who could stay in the rooms overnight.

Because no one has sex except between 2 and 6 am, lol!

The way I read the article, there would not be mixed gender STRANGERS rooming together, rather the schools were just allowing boyfriends/girlfriends to shack up together.

If you don’t want your kid doing this, it seems to me you just say no. Especially if you are paying the tuition and/or room and board.

College kids have been “de-facto” doing this for years – now the universities are sanctioning it.

Where I went (small private college) there were men-only, women-only and mixed floors. Most girls I knew never wanted to live on a mixed floor because the men left the bathrooms (yup - co-Ed bathrooms), common rooms and hallways a total mess. The women’s floors were much cleaner!

[quote="StJudePray4Me, post:11, topic:178174"]
Because no one has sex except between 2 and 6 am, lol!

The way I read the article, there would not be mixed gender STRANGERS rooming together, rather the schools were just allowing boyfriends/girlfriends to shack up together.

If you don't want your kid doing this, it seems to me you just say no. Especially if you are paying the tuition and/or room and board.

College kids have been "de-facto" doing this for years -- now the universities are sanctioning it.

Where I went (small private college) there were men-only, women-only and mixed floors. Most girls I knew never wanted to live on a mixed floor because the men left the bathrooms (yup - co-Ed bathrooms), common rooms and hallways a total mess. The women's floors were much cleaner!

[/quote]

We used to make fun of it when I was in school, too. They just had to make it appear like the school was trying to do something to make the co-ed floors less scandalous.

The article made it sound like people would have to specifically apply for the co-ed rooms. It would still make me uncomfortable, to say the least.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.