Co-Mediatrix?

Obviously, Mary is what the Church says she is. But how do I explain this to a Protestant? All I hear is “One Mediator between God and man!” This quote from 2 Timothy seems to fly at me a lot. How do I explain it?

[quote=trumpet152]Obviously, Mary is what the Church says she is. But how do I explain this to a Protestant? All I hear is “One Mediator between God and man!” This quote from 2 Timothy seems to fly at me a lot. How do I explain it?
[/quote]

Since Christ came through Mary and all grace originates from the cross, therefore Mary became a mediatrix when she said yes to God. All grace proceeded through Mary.

A little quote from a saint should fit nicely here. This is what Irenaeus said,

. In accordance with this design, Mary the Virgin is found obedient, saying, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word."439 But Eve was disobedient; for she did not obey when as yet she was a virgin. And even as she, having indeed a husband, Adam, but being nevertheless as yet a virgin (for in Paradise "they were both naked, and were not ashamed,"440 inasmuch as they, having been created a short time previously, had no understanding of the procreation of children: for it was necessary that they should first come to adult age,441 and then multiply from that time onward), having become disobedient, was made the cause of death, both to herself and to the entire human race; so also did Mary, having a man betrothed [to her], and being nevertheless a virgin, by yielding obedience, become the cause of salvation, both to herself and the whole human race. And on this account does the law term a woman betrothed to a man, the wife of him who had betrothed her, although she was as yet a virgin; thus indicating the back-reference from Mary to Eve, because what is joined together could not otherwise be put asunder than by inversion of the process by which these bonds of union had arisen;442 so that the former ties be cancelled by the latter, that the latter may set the former again at liberty. And it has, in fact, happened that the first compact looses from the second tie, but that the second tie takes the position of the first which has been cancelled.443 For this reason did the Lord declare that the first should in truth be last, and the last first.444 And the prophet, too, indicates the same, saying, "instead of fathers, children have been born unto thee."445 For the Lord, having been born "the First-begotten of the dead,"446 and receiving into His bosom the ancient fathers, has regenerated them into the life of God, He having been made Himself the beginning of those that live, as Adam became the beginning of those who die.447 Wherefore also Luke, commencing the genealogy with the Lord, carried it back to Adam, indicating that it was He who regenerated them into the Gospel of life, and not they Him. And thus also it was that the knot of Eve’s disobedience was loosed by the obedience of Mary. For what the virgin Eve had bound fast through unbelief, this did the virgin Mary set free through faith.

I recommend the book “True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis de Montfort:

ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM

I also heard someone explain this in a wonderful way that basically spoke to all Catholic Christians being a part of the redemption; St. Paul spoke to this when he spoke to our uniting our sufferings with Christ, not because His sacrifice was lacking but because as a member of the Body of Christ my life and how I live it adds to that redemption.

The term ‘co’ does not mean equality - that is a problem so many of us have with the idea of a co-redemptrix or co-mediatrix. It signifies “with” - and with this in mind, we are all with Christ as members of the Holy Mother Church…and as Christians.

Also, remember in 1 Timothy 2:1-7 it speaks to offering prayers and petitions for all men. to take 1 Tim 2:5 out of context to ‘prove’ that Mary is not an integral part of the redemptive process is wrong.

[quote=trumpet152] All I hear is “One Mediator between God and man!” This quote from 2 Timothy seems to fly at me a lot. How do I explain it?
[/quote]

Ask them about James 15:16
"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. "

Is that not mediation to God? Did James err?

And if you note 2 Timothy says that Christ is the sole Mediator to the Father. It doesn’t say “to God”, just one specific person of the Trinity (God)

We can have many mediators to the Son.

Yes. Christ is our “One Mediator between God and man!” Catholics acknowledge this, but understand that He is our sole mediator of justice. This does not rule out other types of mediation like praying for each other, certain actual graces, etc.

Scott

[quote=trumpet152]Obviously, Mary is what the Church says she is. But how do I explain this to a Protestant? All I hear is “One Mediator between God and man!” This quote from 2 Timothy seems to fly at me a lot. How do I explain it?
[/quote]

As someone on the journey to the Catholic Church, you might find my essay at the link below of interest. It remains a work-in-progress, but it may help explain the right and wrong ways to approach this issue.

home.earthlink.net/~karlerickson/writer/id16.html

As usual, everything I know about this topic comes from Tim Staples… I have the four tape set on the Communion of Saints. To answer this question, the Bible illustrates for us that Christ shares his titles. Patrick Madrid also has a book on this subject called, “Any Friend OF God’s Is a Friend of Mine.” I might have time later to look up the references for you if you are interested. I have not had time to do a comprehensive study, but I think that every title the Christ gives himself is ultimately shared with either the Church, the Apostles (or a specific Apostle) or all Christians in general… It really changes the Bible when you under stand this Communion of Saints stuff… Have to go, power is flickering…

Brendan:

Even though this is years later, I am glad you said what you said! It was very helpful and I thank you!

Kevin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.