Codependency Books?

Hi, a friend of mine is interested in a book called “Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself” by Melody Beattie. I was just wondering if there were any Catholic books or other Catholic info on this topic. Comments welcome!

Not sure about any Catholic books, but don’t think you’ll find any better than Malodie. I’ve read her books and they have helped me immensely.

There’s also support groups CODA. Face 2 face meetings and online.

There is help out there and hope.

Hugs

I don’t know anything about codependency except from what I quickly read online. It seems to me a lot like humility to the extreme? I’m sorry if that sounds ignorant or insensitive but I am ignorant about this. If being codependent partly means to be concerned about someone else more than your own well-being is that similar to serving others before yourself? Isn’t that similar to loving others? “The greatest among you will be your servant.” I understand the issue comes when the other person takes advantage of this? At what point do you stop serving others (unless the other person causes you to sin) if they’re taking advantage of you? Sorry for the ramble.

She has a couple of daily readers as well, and there is “Beyond Co-Dependency” which is a follow-up to “Co-dependent No More.” Her stuff really is the standard. She was one of the pioneers of the term.

I’m very happy to hear the author is reputable. Thank you!

I think it’s more like being a perpetual doormat or an emotional hostage.

tomarin, good metaphor. Honestly it’s hard to see the line between being a doormat and loving unconditionally.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.