Codex Vaticanus Now Online (and Other Links)

I was alerted to this by this blogpost right here. The 4th century Codex Vaticanus is now available for online viewing.

digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Vat.gr.1209

And since we’re talking about biblical manuscripts, version and texts here, I might as well give other links I know of. I appreciate folks adding more.

Greek

Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts: csntm.org/

Codex Sinaiticus: codexsinaiticus.org/en/
Codex Bezae: cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-NN-00002-00041/
Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus: gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8470433r
Codex Alexandrinus (New Testament only): csntm.org/Manuscripts/ManuscriptViewPage.aspx?id=203 and bl.uk/manuscripts/FullDisplay.aspx?ref=Royal_MS_1_d_viii

Various NT papyri: earlybible.com/manuscripts
The Rylands papyri collection (includes some biblical papyri): luna.manchester.ac.uk/luna/servlet/ManchesterDev~93~3
(Papyrus 52 - oldest NT fragment: luna.manchester.ac.uk/luna/servlet/detail/ManchesterDev~93~3~22986~100256:St-John-Fragment)
Chester Beatty Library NT papyri: cbl.ie/cbl_image_gallery/exhibition/overview.aspx?exhibitionId=18
New Testament Virtual Manuscript Room: ntvmr.uni-muenster.de/
Institute for New Testament Textual Research: egora.uni-muenster.de/intf/index_en.shtml

The Hexapla: archive.org/details/origenhexapla01unknuoft (Vol. I) and archive.org/details/origenhexapla02unknuoft (Vol. II)
The Septuagint Sessions (podcast): timothymichaellaw.com/theseptuagintsessions/
Septuagint Resources: biblical-studies.ca/lxx.html
Papyrus 967 (Old Greek Daniel, Esther): uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/NRWakademie/papyrologie/PTheol2.html

academic-bible.com (includes critical editions such as the Nestle-Aland NT and the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia): academic-bible.com/

Hebrew / Aramaic

The Dead Sea Scrolls: dss.collections.imj.org.il/ and deadseascrolls.org.il/
The Aleppo Codex (10th century, Masoretic): aleppocodex.org/ and commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Aleppo_Codex
The Leningrad Codex (AD 1008-1009, Masoretic): archive.org/details/Leningrad_Codex and commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Codex_Leningradensis
Codex Cairensis (AD 895, Prophets, Masoretic): commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cairo-codex-nevi%27im.pdf
Samaritan Pentateuch (part of an interlinear): sites.google.com/site/interlinearpentateuch/

(Manuscripts from the Cairo Geniza)
The Friedberg Jewish Manuscript Society: jewishmanuscripts.org/
Princeton Geniza Project: etc.princeton.edu/genizaproject/
Taylor-Schechter Genizah Research Unit: lib.cam.ac.uk/Taylor-Schechter/
Penn/Cambridge Genizah Fragment Project: sceti.library.upenn.edu/genizah/

Targum.info (Aramaic Targumim): targum.info/targumic-texts/
The Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon Project (Aramaic texts): cal1.cn.huc.edu/

Latin

Vetus Latina - Resources for the study of the Old Latin Bible: vetuslatina.org/
The Vetus Latina Institute: vetus-latina.de/en/index.html
Old-Latin Biblical Texts (1886, Mark, Matthew, from various Vetus Latina Manuscripts): archive.org/details/oldlatinbiblica01unkngoog
Vetus Latina Iohannes (Vetus Latina manuscripts of John): iohannes.com/vetuslatina/
Bibliorum sacrorum latinae versiones antiquae, seu Vetus italica (1743): archive.org/details/bibliorumsacroru01saba

Codex Amiatinus New Testament (earliest surviving complete manuscript of the Vulgate, transcription): books.google.com/books?id=x0opAAAAYAAJ
Codex Gigas (13th century): kb.se/codex-gigas/eng/
Gutenberg Bible (British Library): bl.uk/treasures/gutenberg/homepage.html
The Clementine Vulgate Project: vulsearch.sourceforge.net/

Wow!

Thank you Patrick457.

Nice work.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Impressive!

Now I’ll provide links to specific manuscripts – mainly the more famous / interesting ones. Even those who can’t read Greek or Hebrew can still at least enjoy looking at them. New Testament first:

Papyrus 52: (ca. early-to-mid 2nd c.) Our earliest undisputed NT fragment; contains John 18:31-33, 37-38.

luna.manchester.ac.uk/luna/servlet/detail/ManchesterDev~93~3~22986~100256:St-John-Fragment
csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P52
bible-researcher.com/papyrus.52.html

Papyrus 66: (ca. 200) Our earliest substantially complete manuscript of John’s gospel.

earlybible.com/manuscripts/p66.html
csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P66

Papyrus 75: (ca. 175-225) Contains text of Luke’s gospel followed by John.

csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P75

Papyrus 104: (late 2nd century): Contains Matthew 21:34-37, 43, 45. Counts as one of the earliest witnesses to Matthew’s gospel.

csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P104
csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/papyri/vol64/pages/4404.htm

Papyrus 04, 64 and 67: (late 2nd-early 3rd c.) P64 and 67 are small fragments from Matthew’s gospel, while P4 is a manuscript of Luke. Similarities in handwriting leads many scholars to believe that both papyri were written by the same scribe and could have even come from the same manuscript. Papyrus 64 in particular is also known under the monicker of the ‘Magdalen papyri’, after the library it is housed in (Magdalen College, Oxford). Notable because of the controversial claim by the late paleographer Carsten Peter Thiede that these fragments - or rather, only the Matthew fragments - should be dated to the 1st century. (A bit of a shameless plug here, but I’ll refer the reader to my own thread on the issue: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=934086) Even without Thiede’s claim, the fragments still rank among the earliest NT manuscripts found so far.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_4 (Information on P4)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalen_papyrus (Information on P64-67)
magd.ox.ac.uk/libraries-and-archives/treasure-of-the-month/news/magdalen-papyrus/
ancientroadpublications.com/Studies/StudiesGraphics/Magdalen.jpg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/P064-Mat-26.22-23-26.31-33-II.jpg (pictures of P64)

Papyrus 46: (ca. 175-225) Contains most of the Pauline epistles (some pages now missing): Romans (last eight chapters), Hebrews, 1-2 Corinthians, Ephesians, Galatians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians (first two chapters), in that order.

csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P46_Mich
www.csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P46
earlybible.com/manuscripts/p46.html

Papyrus 45: (ca. 250) Originally contained all four gospels and Acts (manuscript is currently heavily damaged and fragmented). Notable for the fact that this is our only surviving text of Mark’s gospel that predates the 4th century; all of the other surviving manuscripts of Mark are from the 4th century or later. (No surprise here, Mark was the least-popular and least-used of the four gospels among the early Christians.)

cbl.ie/cbl_image_gallery/exhibition/overview.aspx?exhibitionId=18
csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P45http://www.csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P45

Papyrus 47: (3rd c.) One of the earliest manuscripts we have of Revelation.

csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P47

Papyrus 115: (3rd-4th c.) Another early papyrus of Revelation. Notable for being one of the handful of manuscripts which give the number of the beast as 616 (six hundred sixteen), instead of 666 (six hundred sixty-six) attested in most other manuscripts.

csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P115

I wish I could read Greek. :frowning:

Amazing. Guess they weren’t kidding about releasing all those ancient documents some years ago.

Thank you, internet.

And thank you, Patrick!

You’re welcome. :smiley: I have another link:

New Testament Transcripts (Prototype): A transcription of various NT manuscripts.
nttranscripts.uni-muenster.de/AnaServer?NTtranscripts+0+start.anv

And here’s a few more early (in other words, pre-4th century) papyri:

Papyrus 77 and Papyrus 103: (2nd-3rd century) Two more quite early fragments of Matthew’s gospel. Paleographer and NT scholar Philip Comfort had deemed that these two papyri could have come from the same manuscript.

(Papyrus 77)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_77 (Wikipedia)
csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P77
163.1.169.40/cgi-bin/library?e=q-000-00—0POxy–00-0-0–0prompt-10—4----ded–0-1l–1-en-50—20-about-2683–00031-001-1-0utfZz-8-00&a=d&c=POxy&cl=search&d=HASH015d3359431f135f32f60a99

(Papyrus 103)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_103 (Wikipedia)
csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P103
csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/papyri/vol64/pages/4403.htm

Papyrus 90: (late 2nd century) Yet another papyri of John’s gospel. Out of the four gospels (in fact, out of early Christian literature in general), John’s is the most-attested one among the papyri, followed by Matthew. (12-16 papyri of John that predate the 4th century and 12 of Matthew, compared to 7 of Luke and 1 of Mark.)

163.1.169.40/cgi-bin/library?e=q-000-00—0POxy–00-0-0–0prompt-10—4------0-1l–1-en-50—20-about-3523–00031-001-1-0utfZz-8-00&a=d&c=POxy&cl=search&d=HASH4ba24737966a84d10be02b
csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P90

Papyrus 98: (2nd century) A papyrus fragment of Revelation (1:13-2:1); one of the four or five manuscripts of Revelation that predate the 4th century. The text is written on a ‘recycled’ papyrus (the other side of the fragment contains another text from the late 1st-2nd century).

csntm.org/Manuscript/View/GA_P98

I’ve already given the links to the so-called ‘four great uncials’ - Sinaiticus (א), Vaticanus (B), Alexandrinus (A), Ephraemi © - plus Codex Bezae (D) in the OP, so I won’t repeat that here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.