Coercion bible quotes

To put a long story short, a non-christian friend of mine went to some christian event where the pastor tried to convert her into becoming a christian. Since this pastor crossed the line and disrespected her, I am in the midst of writing a letter of complaint.

I am looking for scripture that speaks against coercion, or converting people without their consent.

I realize that I am being very vague with the topic but it is one of those cases which happens rarely and I’m requiring scripture to back up my letter.

Thank you all for your help,

SG

You can look up Bible passages by subject easily enough on any online Bible. I’m wondering why you feel the need to write a letter of complaint though? Really, it’s your friend’s place to complain and not yours, since you were not there and only heard about the incident through hearsay. I would think your energy would be better spent demonstrating a Christian lifestyle to your friend.

The most that one should do is kick off the dust from their sandals and pray for them rather than judge them. And perhaps reflect why others are not listening to him. Perhaps he didn’t do a good job of evangelizing, some are so ready to condemn/threaten with hellfire rather than smother them with love. Some are just so abrasive. Some don’t even have good answers to good questions. If the pastor was uncharitable, tell him where he failed rather than throw bible verses at him. Suggest he apologize.

Anyway he posseses no power to force a conversion. All his antics are of no avail. I don’ t think you can baptize anyone by forcefully dunking them into water. The most that comes out of it is water torture.

Mat 10:14
Luk 9:5

Sadly people similar to that pastor turn many more people away with a bad taste for Christianity than bring any closer. I cannot stand pushy people who try to Bible thump others. Be sympathetic with your friend who got treated like that and assure her that you dont approve nor is that Christianity. Too often when people have ugly experiences with pushy religious folks they can develop a chip on their shoulder with Christians. Christians should be the most humble and understanding people if they expect anyone to buy into their faith.

Right motive, wrong method.

I am looking for scripture that speaks against coercion, or converting people without their consent.

I don’t have scripture but I have sound teaching that is derived, directly or indirectly, from scripture:

1. "…This Vatican Council likewise professes its belief that it is upon the human conscience that these obligations fall and exert their binding force. The truth cannot impose itself except by virtue of its own truth, as it makes its entrance into the mind at once quietly and with power.
  2. This Vatican Council declares that the human person has a right to religious freedom. This freedom means that all men are to be immune from coercion on the part of individuals or of social groups and of any human power, in such wise that no one is to be forced to act in a manner contrary to his own beliefs, whether privately or publicly, whether alone or in association with others, within due limits.
    DECLARATION ON RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
    DIGNITATIS HUMANAE

I realize that I am being very vague with the topic but it is one of those cases which happens rarely and I’m requiring scripture to back up my letter.

Giving scripture to correct a pastor on his manner of preaching is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. One bad method won’t help another one. And quoting a Catholic encyclical about freedom and coercion might do even more damage. I think the best thing you can do is invite your friend to Mass where there is no sales pitch, and pray the pastor finds his way home.

I agree with the earlier posters. Don’t waste your time writing a letter. It will just stir up muddy waters. Instead pray for the pastor to see the fullness of truth to be found in the Catholic Church. When I pray for a pastor, I recognize that “the shepherd cannot abandon his flock.” That means that I also pray for his congregation as well.
Cursillo teaches that the best means of evangelization is to “make a friend, be a friend, bring a friend to Christ.” That likewise is the advice of previous posters. Continue to be a friend. Invite your friend to Mass with you when you see the time as right. He has already heard from the pushy pastor. So now perhaps it is time to hear the message from a less pushy source.
Your friend may have only told you the story to vent what happened, not necessarily to get you involved in his personal affairs.

15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts. Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope,
16 but do it with gentleness and reverence, keeping your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who defame your good conduct in Christ may themselves be put to shame.
1 Peter 3:15-16

The whole bible, from the Fall to the Ascension, is about the freedom of man to disobey God, and the fallacy of doing so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.