Coffee Linked to Lower Dementia Risk

from the NY Times:

**Coffee Linked to Lower Dementia Risk **

Drinking coffee may do more than just keep you awake. A new study suggests an intriguing potential link to mental health later in life, as well.
A team of Swedish and Danish researchers tracked coffee consumption in a group of 1,409 middle-age men and women for an average of 21 years. During that time, 61 participants developed dementia, 48 with Alzheimer’s disease.

After controlling for numerous socioeconomic and health factors, including high cholesterol and high blood pressure, the scientists found that the subjects who had reported drinking three to five cups of coffee daily were 65 percent less likely to have developed dementia, compared with those who drank two cups or less. People who drank more than five cups a day also were at reduced risk of dementia, the researchers said, but there were not enough people in this group to draw statistically significant conclusions.

Now this is my kind of health study. :slight_smile:

People who drank more than five cups a day also were at reduced risk of dementia, the researchers said, but there were not enough people in this group to draw statistically significant conclusions.

Well, if they need more subjects for this segment, I’ll volunteer. Do you think they supply the coffee? :smiley: :coffeeread:

I’m the sanest man alive!

These types of studies are very misleading. What type of coffee, what amount. Also everyone has a different diet, different genealogy etc. And peoples lifestyles vary greatly. Drinking coffee overall, is not very healthy I think.

Woohoo!!!

Between that study and the studies that show red wine and dark chocolate are good for you, I’m in heaven!!!:extrahappy:

Peace

Tim

LOL Don’t rain on my parade.:eek: This is the first time our one vice in the family has been found to be good.:smiley: :smiley:

I’ll drink to that :coffeeread:

Well I am the coffee drinker at our house and my spouse who never touches the stuff, has a 200% better memory than I ever will have. Guess they will need me for the control group in their study.

good grief what would my mind be like w/o the coffee? staggering to contemplate

Furthermore, are they using de-caf or normal coffee?

***Coffe Risks **
3.1 Cancer
3.2 Gastrointestinal problems
3.3 Anxiety and sleep changes
3.4 Cosmetic
3.5 Cholesterol
3.6 Blood pressure
3.7 Effects on pregnancy and menopause
3.8 Iron deficiency anemia
3.9 Coronary artery disease *
(Wiki en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_and_health)

However, there is also a list of cons

Robertsxxx;

wikipedia isn’t always reliable, for anyone can post in there.

I’ve read reports that support coffee consumption as being good and others as being bad.

In fact, I just finished a book Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, by Dr Amen. He shows brain scans of coffee drinkers, and its not good. However, they’re were heavy coffee drinkers and smokers.

He recommends no more than 3 cups per day, none would be better.

Myself, I’m already on a diet. Giving up coffee would just add to the misery. :smiley:

Jim

I know, I just wanted a quick general summary & didn’t want to spend too much time searching for reliable medical journals.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.