cohabitation

is it wrong for two catholics living together to recieve
communion.

[quote=hot rod consolo]is it wrong for two catholics living together to recieve
communion.
[/quote]

If they are not married , yes it is.
If they are living “as brother and sister” i.e. not having sex, then I believe it’s NO

If they are sharing an apartment or house and are merely roommates and not having sex , again the answer is no.

But let me guess…you and your partner are a couple in every sense of the word, without the benefit of marriage and are having sex. Therefore you would be comitting a mortal sin.

I am not an expert,so anyone feel free to teach me if I am incorrect.
~ Kathy ~

our old preist that confirmed me never had a problem with our situation, i was just confirmed this year. he gave me my first communion.
now our new preist says i should not recieve.
are there any exeptions . we just cant be legally married right now.

is there a ceremony that you can be married in gods eyes and not in the states?

[quote=hot rod consolo]our old preist that confirmed me never had a problem with our situation, i was just confirmed this year. he gave me my first communion.
are there any exeptions . we just cant be legally married right now.

is there a ceremony that you can be married in gods eyes and not in the states?

[/quote]

No, you cannot be “married in god’s eyes” and have it be in secret-- secret marriages are not allowed in the Church. Your old priest did a grave disservice to you by condoning (either through ommission or through actions) your situation.

Your new priest is correct-- you are in a state of mortal sin. Unless you stop having sexual relations (whether you live in the same house or not) then you should refrain from the Eucharist until such time as you have gotten married. Your new priest cares for your soul-- listen to his counsel.

Why can you not get married?

[quote=hot rod consolo]our old preist that confirmed me never had a problem with our situation, i was just confirmed this year. he gave me my first communion.
are there any exeptions.
[/quote]

Are you in danger of death? If not, the only exception is a priest who takes exception at the teachings of Jesus.

As our former pastor said, one can alwyas find a priest who says whatever one wants to hear. Although it doesn’t seem to be the case, he did mislead you into sin and sacriledge.

:blessyou:

[quote=hot rod consolo] we just cant be legally married right now.

?
[/quote]

why? If either of you is married to someone else you are commiting adultery. If you cannot legally get married, move out, get your own place, and stop claiming for yourself the rights and privileges of marriage, because A) it is a mortal sin to do so and B) you will virtually destroy your ability to grow in intimacy and self control required for a successful marriage if you continue as you are.

[quote=hot rod consolo]our old preist that confirmed me never had a problem with our situation, i was just confirmed this year. he gave me my first communion. now our new preist says i should not recieve. are there any exeptions . we just cant be legally married right now. is there a ceremony that you can be married in gods eyes and not in the states?
[/quote]

“For a grave and urgent cause, the local ordinary can permit a marriage to be celebrated secretly.” (Canon 1130).

Note that the canon only says “can.”

This whole matter would need to be evaluated and discussed with your parish priest rather than addressed in a forum. Hence, I urge you to speak with him and see what is possible. It is rather rare, and I do mean rare. The priest will discuss other aspects of a secret celebration, which would also appear to be contrary to civil law, if it is possible and advisable to proceed.

However, I say this apart from the matter of objectively and gravely sinful cohabitation and not knowing if you are both canonically free to marry. Those points have been already been addressed quite appropriately. Something will have to be done about both.

I will assume it is highly unlikely that you entered marriage through the extraordinary form of marriage (canon 1116). Being unable to marry civilly is not understood as presenting the situation which would make such an action permissible or its results valid. (Though the canon does consider more than just the danger of death, Augustine. But you make a good point there.)

We hope that God will bless you with the courage to make things right.

In the eyes of my godmother it’s okay to stay wasted all of the time and to let her children start drinking at 10:00 in the morning but DO NOT LIVE WITH YOUR BOYFRIEND OR GIRLFRIEND because that is a sin.

Well, then that would make your godmother right on one thing.

And marriage is a public institution. That is why the church requires witnesses for the sacrament to be valid. (Though the couple confers the sacrament on each other.)

If you are living together and receiving communion it could be a cause for public scandal. Even if you are living as brother and sister, if that is not widely known, you could give the wrong impression to others. Christ had severe warnings for those who led innocents astray by scandalous example.

Talk to your priest. Find out a way to either get married, or it is time to live apart until your relationship can be public and you can be proud of it.

If you are living in a state of sin, you cannot be sure any serious decisions you make while in that state will be good ones for either of you.

Example of grave and urgent cause: You’re living in a country where having a Christian marriage is punishable my death. For instance I read about a Saudi woman that converted to Christianity and married an American Catholic, under Saudi law she could have been executed for leaving Islam.

Not a grave or urgent cause: The milk’s coming for free so why buy the cow?

I don’t understand why you are living together and having sex but cannot get married at this time. I suggest reading *The Good News about Sex and Marriage *by Christopher West.

I agree with those who said that the priest who either chose not to reprimand you or condoned your living situation did you a great disservice.

The original post is from Dec 05???

What’s up with that? How did it get here today?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.