Coincidence?

After Mass several Sundays ago I asked our Cantor if she could sing Panis Angelicus as the Communion Hymn some week. I haven't heard it in many years after having to learn it when I was in the 6th grade choir. We chatted and even sang it together in a very low voice. I was astounded that I still remembered it after 60+ years! She agreed to speak to the parish's music director about putting it on the schedule. Later the same day I noticed that PBS TV was showing the Celtic Women Christmas Celebration. I watched it and there was an excellent rendition of Panis Angelicus! Approx 12 hours after I asked to hear Panis Angelicus, it was delivered to my TV! Was it a coincidence?

Yes, just a coincidence. No special forces making that synchronicity happen to you.

If you consider the millions of folk watching that PBS Special of Celtic Christmas, the audience would be skewed to religious folk and church goers. And so, the likelihood that one of those viewers would have recently heard or talked about one of the songs on that show in the past month is pretty good. Pretty good because if such a coincidence is a million to one shot, and a million people watched… then it turned out even odds that one of those viewers would have experienced what you experienced. And because it happened to you, you think there may have been something more than coincidence involved, but, you just happened to have won the coincidence lottery! :slight_smile:

No, not a coincidence in my book.
" A coincidence is where God chose to be anonymous"
Several people are attributed to this quote so I have no clue who first stated it but I love it.

Nothing is a coincidence! :smiley:

I consider coincidences gifts from God.
God’s timing is perfect.
And you were born
for such a time as this.

Merry Christmas!
:slight_smile:

I appreciate your responses. I spent much of my life as an Intelligence Analyst/Reporter.
Early in my training my supervisor, a grizzled old Gunnery Sgt with many years in the “spook” business, growled at me "There ain’t no such thing as a xxxxx coincidence."
Not quite as eloquent and civil as MaryT777, JerryZ, and the Phoenix, but I’ve never questioned the Gunny’s wisdom!

=Golf Zulu;10170317]After Mass several Sundays ago I asked our Cantor if she could sing Panis Angelicus as the Communion Hymn some week. I haven’t heard it in many years after having to learn it when I was in the 6th grade choir. We chatted and even sang it together in a very low voice. I was astounded that I still remembered it after 60+ years! She agreed to speak to the parish’s music director about putting it on the schedule. Later the same day I noticed that PBS TV was showing the Celtic Women Christmas Celebration. I watched it and there was an excellent rendition of Panis Angelicus! Approx 12 hours after I asked to hear Panis Angelicus, it was delivered to my TV! Was it a coincidence?

NOPE!:smiley:

God’s desire to be Personally involved in our lives continues to ASOUND ME!

But my friend; God answered your GOOD request:)

Continued Blessings my friend,
Pat/PJM

When we pray and follow God,we experience many “coincidences”

thank God and give him Praise

Many times i have talkback radio on in my room and when my thoughts change from one thing to another thinking about things related to God and church,the speakers on the radio say something at exactly the same time which is related to what im thinking…

for eg, im thinking of a priest called Father Nicholas and then the guy on the radio will say the name Nick…

In my Orthodox days one day i read the story of St Herman and became interested to pray to him,i went to church that night and went up to the priest who was placing an icon of the saint of the day on display in the middle of the church,i asked him “Father do you have an icon of St Herman around in the church?” and lo and behold the icon that he had just placed on display in the middle of the church was an icon of St Herman because it was his feastday or one of his feasts.

I couldnt believe it

So God is alive and the Holy Spirit works in our lives and with us

Does this make Jesus Priest, Prophet, King and DJ? He must take requests! :smiley:

Regardless, whatever the reasoning, this is quite joyous and I’m glad it happened for you.

It’s funny you should ask about “taking requests”. That’s exactly how I opened my conversation with our Cantor — “Do you take requests?”

Now tell me this is a coincidence…about 3 weeks ago I lost $40 out of my purse. I tore the purse apart looking for the money, but it was gone.

Christmas Eve I went to Mass with my daughter and her family, and I said to my daughter, “Darn, I forgot to bring money for the collection.” Then I had to wipe my nose and I opened my purse for a tissue, and there, sitting on top of the junk in my purse were 2 $20 dollar bills, neatly folded !!!

Now I have used this purse every day and have been rummaging in it it a zillion times a day in the past 3 weeks since the money disappeared, and the money never showed up before. In fact, I had just rummaged around in it a few minutes before for my Magnificat.

I guess God wanted me to save the money for the collection instead of blowing it or something, but that is one of the strangest things that has ever happened to me. The Lord does indeed provide.

And I swear this is all true.

Yes. It’s Christmastime, so the chances that you will hear a Christmas song are pretty high. :thumbsup:

We sang Panis Angelicus year round as a Communion hymn. I wasn’t aware it was considered a Christmas song.

One of the fifteen promises of the Blessed Virgin Mary for those who recite the rosary daily is “signal graces” which are graces that appear as coincidences much like your situation. When I came back to the Church I was praying the rosary everyday (still try to). After Mass one day, I prayed that I could “pray better.” I got up to leave as the Pastor was walking in with a basket full of free books the diocese puts out during Lent with meditations for each day. That was my first one.

My latest one happened just now. I decided that I would put off praying the rosary until tomorrow and then I found this thread which triggered that memory. What a coincidence! Looks like sleep is going to have to wait another 25 minutes or so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.