Coke's Compass

Here is the response I got: "We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

"The Golden Compass movie is a story about friendship, love, loyalty, tolerance, courage and responsibility. This movie also provides an opportunity for Coca-Cola to help raise awareness about climate change and the perilous state of the polar bear.

“We do not believe that this fantasy movie is an attack on any religion. We would never support a film that intentionally antagonized or condemned any faith.”

If they receive more letters about this, it’s possible it may accomplish something.

Link

Here’s some anecdotal observations.

It seems to me that this excitement over The Golden Compass is a day late and a dollar short. The Pullman Trilogy has been out for years and lots of young people have read them. Over the Thanksgiving weekend I spoke to several college students who had read the books in their younger years and liked them. These are the same types who read The Chronicles of Narnia, the Harry Potter books,and many other fantasies. I don’t think any of these kids believe that there is a Hogwarts, or that people have a daemon who accompanies them, or that people exist near them in alternate universes.

Those I talked to had bought the books themselves or borrowed them from friends. None had been given the books by parents.

I picked up a copy *The Golden Compass *and tried to read it but quit after a page or two. I’m old.

I agree that too much negative publicity will promote sales of the film and the books. I recall that is what happened with *The DaVinci Code *that had to be one of the poorest written best sellers in history.

Yes, but movies have a cultural prominence that often eclipse books. And movies often entice viewers to read the originals. So I think it is not too late to take a hard look at the film and books.

That said, I’m not familiar with the Pullman Trilogy, but the criticisms I have read here at CAF seem strained. I can’t judge the works until I read/view them… something which is much more likely due to the controversy which has been raised.

Bones, your linked source was written by Rick Kephart. Who is he? Does he have some kind of expertise, or professional purview, regarding films and books?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.