Colin Powell slams North Carolina voting law

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell bashed North Carolina’s recent voting law at a forum in the state Thursday, with the governor that signed the bill in the audience.
Powell said the law harms the Republican Party at the CEO Forum in Raleigh, N.C., according to the Raleigh News and Observer.

“It immediately turns off a voting block the Republican Party needs,” Powell said. “These kinds of actions do not build on the base. It just turns people away. … I want to see policies that encourage every American to vote, not make it more difficult to vote.”

Powell also took aim at defenders of the law, including McCrory, who say such restrictions are necessary to stop voter fraud, which is hard to detect.

“You can say what you like, but there is no voter fraud,” Powell said. “How can it be widespread and undetected?”

Read more: politico.com/story/2013/08/colin-powell-north-carolina-voting-law-95813.html#ixzz2cnoTn7Zh

According to the Raleigh News and Observer article linked to in the article by Politico:

Powell’s comments represent one of the most high-profile criticisms to date of the Republican-crafted law that requires voters to show photo identification at the polls, cuts early voting days and ends same-day registration.

That law – along with measures to limit Medicaid coverage, increase regulation of abortion clinics and cut the corporate income tax – led to weekly protests and arrests in Raleigh and national media coverage.

Read more here: newsobserver.com/2013/08/22/3127638/colin-powell-slams-ncs-new-voting.html#storylink=cpy

North Carolina has one of the highest obesity rates in the nation, an unemployment rate that is higher than the national average, and gets a score of C+ for the quality of their K-12 education.

The Republicans should be tackling these issues instead of trying to suppress the vote of students and minorities. If they did, they wouldn’t have to suppress the vote.

How DARE people have to prove they’re eligible to vote! It’s almost like these monsters want to get RID of voter fraud!

:rolleyes:

Voter fraud is a myth. Should we get rid of unicorns as well?

Seems Powell gets sillier by the day. Is he taking silly lessons from Jimmy Carter, one wonders?

Apparently requiring voter ID has coincided with greater voter participation by minorities. I’m afraid Powell is substituting ideology for a factual foundation here.

And how snide to talk about obesity or schools in SC. Has nothing to do with voter identification. But then, I suppose in a mind like Powell’s it conjures up the image of the overweight, ignorant white “cracker” shoving blacks away from the polling booth.

Racist imagery serving an unfounded ideological bias. One would have expected better from Powell some years back, but then the nation once had bigger hopes for Carter too.

It certainly causes one to wonder
{snip}

And how snide to talk about obesity or schools in SC. Has nothing to do with voter identification. But then, I suppose in a mind like Powell’s it conjures up the image of the overweight, ignorant white “cracker” shoving blacks away from the polling booth.

I wasn’t aware SC had not been trying to address these problems?

Racist imagery serving an unfounded ideological bias. One would have expected better from Powell some years back, but then the nation once had bigger hopes for Carter too.

Good observation.

I need ID to cash a check, to get a job, to drive a car. There is a lot of voter fraud out there, I see nothing wrong with asking for ID at the polls. What’s the big deal? I always thought it rather strange that ID wasn’t required.

My state has vote by mail, which I wonder about sometimes, with all the unsecured mailboxes around here. :eek:

If it’s racist to require an ID to vote, then it’s racist to require an ID to go into a government building, to register kids for school, to get meds at CVS, to get past TSA at the airport, to drive, to cash a check, to buy smokes, to buy liquor, and so on and so forth.

Poll Worker Gets Five Years in Vote Fraud

CINCINNATI —A Hamilton County poll worker who was found to have voted repeatedly for family members will go to prison.

Melowese Richardson was sentenced to five years in prison on four counts of voter fraud on Wednesday. She worked as a poll worker for 14 years before pleading no contest to the charges in May.

Colin Powell is just the sort of Republican who could win a national election. Nobody on the right-wing has a chance. What seems “silly” to me is how the Republican base is so blinded by their ideology that they fail to grasp this reality.

The fact is that the GOP is alienating young and minority voters by making it harder for them to vote. Your statistics only demonstrate that oppression creates crusaders for a cause. So yes, more will vote and they will vote Democratic.

It’s now “snide” to talk about health, jobs & education. :rolleyes:

It’s not equivalent to the previous laws to exclude Blacks from voting. If anything, it’s aimed at immigrants. It’s also aimed to make sure that real people are voting, not a bunch of phoney names or dead people, and people pretending they are them.

Yes, that little old lady should be the poster child for voter fraud! She is clearly influencing the outcome of elections!

Statistics 101: You can’t draw conclusions from an N of 1.

Case studies are garbage. The RATES of voter fraud demonstrate that the GOP is tilting at windmills.

Your only talking about voter ID laws.

How does closing polling places, ending early voting, ending voter registration drives and ending same day voter registration reduce the number of dead people who “vote”?

The whole package spells “VOTER SUPRESSION”.

“You can say what you like, but there is no voter fraud,” Powell said. “How can it be widespread and undetected?”

Perhaps because there are no means, like voter ID, in place to detect it?

The way to detect anything is to go looking for it, no?
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Isn’t that the argument Joe McCarthy used to justify accusing people of being Communists. :rolleyes:

Crawford v. Marion County Election Board opinion cites the following

“There is no evidence of extensive fraud in U. S. elections or of multiple voting, but both occur, and it could affect the outcome of a close election. The electoral system cannot inspire public confidence if no safeguards exist to deter or detect fraud or to confirm the identity of voters. Photo identification cards currently are needed to board a plane, enter federal buildings, and cash a check. Voting is equally important.” Commission on Federal Election Reform, Report, Building Confidence in U. S. Elections §2.5 (Sept. 2005), App. 136–137 (Carter-Baker Report) (footnote omitted).10

law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-21.ZO.html

John Paul Steven who was regarded as a liberal wrote

It remains true, however, that flagrant examples of such fraud in other parts of the country have been documented throughout this Nation’s history by respected historians and journalists,11 that occasional examples have surfaced in recent years, 12 and that Indiana’s own experience with fraudulent voting in the 2003 Democratic primary for East Chicago Mayor 13—though perpetrated using absentee ballots and not in-person fraud—demonstrate that not only is the risk of voter fraud real but that it could affect the outcome of a close election.

law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-21.ZO.html

PPP found 50% oppose the North Carolina voter ID bill

publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/08/north-carolinians-oppose-voter-bill.html

Past polls on voter ID generally have shown support for voter ID

Poll: Broad support for photo voter ID

Submitted by robchristensen on 2011-04-18 10:59
Tags: Under the Dome | Elon University Poll | photo ID

A majority of Tar Heel residents back legislation requiring voters to provide photo identification at the polls, according to a new poll.

The Elon University Poll found that 75 percent support voter ID provisions in a bill being considered in the legislature and 80 percent think it is fair.

The photo ID bill is supported by the Republican legislative majority, but has drawn opposition from Democrats, civil rights and voting rights groups.

The poll, which was conducted April 11-14, surveyed 630 North Carolina residents – not just voters – and had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

WRAL News poll: NC wants voter IDs

Raleigh, N.C. — North Carolina voters overwhelmingly want people to present some form of identification at the polls before casting a ballot, according to a WRAL News poll released Tuesday.

SurveyUSA polled 641 registered voters statewide between Saturday and Monday and found that 69 percent want to require a photo ID to vote, while another 10 percent want an ID that doesn’t necessarily have a photo. Only 16 percent said voters shouldn’t have to present an ID at the polls.

The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.6 percentage points.

The idea seems to have support across the political spectrum, with 90 percent of Republicans, 56 percent of Democrats and two-thirds of independents calling for a photo voter ID.

When examined through the lens of the presidential campaign, however, partisan fault lines start to appear.

I could care less what Powell thinks about voter laws. Enquirering minds want to know more about his secret, fantasy emails with his Romanian love. Is this his way of diverting the subject?

No. I think he assumed communism was widespread and then sought to prove that assumption by looking for communists behind every lamppost.

I am not clear that having no means in place to detect fraud, and thereby concluding there is none, is the same thing.

A store which does not track inventory and, therefore, remains blissfully ignorant of shoplifting losses might claim, “We have no evidence of shoplifting.” It would be true that the store has no evidence of shoplifting precisely because its practices are woefully inadequate to detect it, even if it was prevalent.

Someone’s been into the Kool-Aid, I see…

You said there

[quote=Bella]Voter fraud is a myth. Should we get rid of unicorns as well?
[/quote]

Statistics 101: You can’t draw conclusions from an N of 1.
Case studies are garbage. The RATES of voter fraud demonstrate that the GOP is tilting at windmills.

Okaaaayyyyy…

I am for voter ID because I want each vote to be as true as possible. I am not a racist, nor do I believe that voter ID will result in voter suppression.

I dislike your personal attacks on the motivations of people. I don’t accuse you of liking voter fraud because you are against voter ID.

You want to talk racism? Talk to any black person on what happens when he/she runs on a Republican ticket.

You want to talk War on Women? Talk to any woman running on the Republican ticket.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.