College bans holiday decorations

[/FONT]College bans holiday decorations…** **
FGCU administration has banned all holiday decorations from common spaces on campus and canceled a popular greeting card design contest, which is being replaced by an ugly sweater competition. In Griffin Hall, the university’s giving tree for needy preschoolers has been transformed into a “giving garden.”

If I remember right, back in the 80s when I went back to college we didn’t give up Christmas holidays, yet we were able to have special occssions where allowed our diverse student population to express and educate others concerning thier beliefs. Seemed to work out pretty well, that is how I got my copy of the Koran, by attending an event sponsored by one the Islamic Students groups. I don’t remember anyone having a problem. At more free expression then you would find in Suadi Arabia.:cool:

Why has it been so important to do away with Christianity/Christmas on campus now? We seemed to be able to share with each other back then why has it become oppression of others now to celbrate the holidays as we have for two centuries with no problems, I think this is more about appeasement to athiest and those that oppose Christianity becuase of their fear of the lessons of morality Christianity represents, then it is offending other faith beliefs.

“Giving garden” doesn’t that sound a little like Gia worshiping?

I just heard about this on the radio. this is getting ridiculous.

thankfully, it looks like people are fighting back.

news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200881125070

news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811260351

looks like the university president changed his mind

FGCU’s president has reversed his decision to restrict holiday decorations on campus and apologized to staff for misconstruing his message.

Wilson Bradshaw on Wednesday gave the all-clear for employees to resume decorating public spaces on campus, reversing a Nov. 20 directive that banned Christmas trees, Menorahs and other religious or cultural holiday decorations.

news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811270349

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.