College...help

I did the math and my GPA will be a 1.75 for the end of my second semester…

I have never gotten lower than a 3 in my entire student life…

I can already feel the federal grants running dry; Uncle Sam isn’t going to pay for an idiot without gathering interest…

I’ll be honest, the only thing keeping me from gouging my own eyes out and tearing out my throat is the fact that my parents love me and that I’d leave my little brother and sister in this world without me…

I don’t deserve to live…

I’ve failed my family…

I need to hear from fellow forum members; despite having numerous shortcomings and failing in so much I always could say I was a good student…now I don’t even have that…

Stop that right now!!! :mad:
Take a breath…
(((HUGS)))
Better? :o

Okay… so everyone screws up in life once in a while. It’s how you get out of these situations that really counts. YOU OWN THIS… you can fix it. :thumbsup:

Have you seen a student guidance counselor at your school? If not, look up every possible option you have available and make an appointment and discuss your options… because there ARE options.
What have been your failure points? Are you in the wrong major? Are your classes not going well for you? Are you GOING to class and trying? Are you partying and skipping class? If so, what is your support group of friends like?
There are options available… this is NOT even CLOSE to being the end of the world.
You’re LOVED by your family… your parents and siblings…
You’re LOVED by your friends…
And you’re LOVED by your Almighty Creator… who has a pretty incredible plan for your life… but you have to open up your heart to listen to His will.

Are you ready?

You have my sincerest prayers… you CAN do this. :thumbsup:

I'm praying you my friend, that's all I can say really.

Not good. Why are your grades so poor? Maybe you need to change your major.

I heard Saint Francis had a similar problem, he was on his way to heaven and Jesus Christ goes wait a second i see here on your record that you dont have a college education im sorry but your gonna have to turn back around.

Not good. Why are your grades so poor? Maybe you need to change your major.

I don’t know! I’m still a freshman so I haven’t started taking classes related directly to my Major (history). I mean I got a 3.7 on my first semester GPA; then with the start of the second semester I find myself unable to handle nearly the exact same classes as my first semester! It infuriates me, I was going to leave my Freshman year with one of the highest GPA I’ve ever had but thanks to the second semester I’ll be lucky if I can keep the over all score above 2.0. And it is is not like I’ve slacked off this year, The fact is there are so few tests and with only 4 classes if you fail one you’ve pretty much cut off your own foot.

I’m thinking of seeing a guidance counselor; though it’s really late in the semester…

I can’t talk to my parents about this, they’re the greatest parents that I don’t deserve but at the end of the day talking to my mother just raises my stress about the issue because I will not seek help from a tutor and I already know my grades are all my own fault. As for my dad he’s more compassionate about this, but I don’t want him to worry about me for nothing. He has high cholesterol and I would never forgive myself if my stress ended up causing something to happen to my dad…

Don’t make up excuses for why you shouldn’t go… just DO it…
Do you have an academic advisor?
Have you spoken to your professors about your grades? Are you the only one failing the tests? I’m asking because if the entire class averages a 40% on a test, sometime the grading scale moves… and that’s probably a sign the professor didn’t do a good job of explaining the material. Seriously, once I got a 20% on a Physics Exam in college… ended up getting an A in the class. :shrug:

The semester isn’t over. Start studying for you finals!!! The finals usually count for the most points. So even if you failed one test, try to get an A on the final, then you can maybe get a C in that class. It isn’t over yet, you can do this.

I used to get really freaked out a few weeks before finals when I would realize how much I still had to do, in so little time.

Make a plan, what you are going to study and when, give up Catholic answers until you take your exams :D, be disciplined, see an advisor at your school to help you make this plan. If you are actually have trouble with the class material please go see a tutor, they can give you study tips for the exams, and clarify any questions. While you are reviewing the material in your classes and come across things you are unsure of, go see your Professors or TAs. Do this now so you can be prepared to take your finals and pass your classes.

Prayers.

Don’t make up excuses for why you shouldn’t go… just DO it…
Do you have an academic advisor?
Have you spoken to your professors about your grades? Are you the only one failing the tests? I’m asking because if the entire class averages a 40% on a test, sometime the grading scale moves… and that’s probably a sign the professor didn’t do a good job of explaining the material. Seriously, once I got a 20% on a Physics Exam in college… ended up getting an A in the class.

I know at least three other people who do poorly in English class; I can’t say much about the rest. In the other class which is spanish I don’t think as many people are failing, I’m just never capable of understanding grammar in that class…

In any case, thank you all for your consern. These really high emotional feelings seem to come for a couple hours then go away on their own, for that I’m grateful because I know there are people who hormonally simply cannot ever getting out of their depressions.

[quote="Flavius_Aetius, post:9, topic:236270"]
I know at least three other people who do poorly in English class; I can't say much about the rest. In the other class which is spanish I don't think as many people are failing, I'm just never capable of understanding grammar in that class...

In any case, thank you all for your consern. These really high emotional feelings seem to come for a couple hours then go away on their own, for that I'm grateful because I know there are people who hormonally simply cannot ever getting out of their depressions.

[/quote]

The main thing is to take action now, while there is still time. The sooner the better.

Your teachers and counsellors come across many students who, like you, are having problems. They will almost certainly be able to help you get to the root of what is causing your difficulties, and show you how to do something about it.

Flavius, you haven’t failed anyone. Stuff happens, you know? Everyone has a bum semester or two or three, depending on life circumstances! Your self worth does NOT depend on your successes or attributes, God will not hold up the scale and say ‘well, you murdered people, but you were a good student… come on in!’. Be a good person, do your best, and that is truly all you can do. Not only would your family miss you if you were to die, but that would be one less of God’s amazing creations gracing this planet! Not cool :frowning: It will get better one day, I pray that you feel better very soon. God loves you, and I am sad to hear you have so much going on right now! There is a plan for you, whether you can see it right now or not, this despair is a temporary feeling and it will pass in time.
:tissues::tissues::hug3::blessyou:

You remind me so much of my own son. He gets himself into these sorts of jams, and I think it’s partly just to learn how to get himself out of them. No one can help him, he has to help himself. It’s pride that keeps him from asking for help, I believe, but whatever it is, he has to figure out the problem and how to fix it.

If you know what has happened, then you know how not to get into the same situation in the future. You may have to work a lot harder than you are used to, in order to get similar grades. This is college, and it gets harder as you go along (you are finding out). It takes more studying. I remember so well that for about 3 years I never even read a newspaper or anything I wanted to read. All I did was study my books and notes. I felt like I lived, ate, and breathed my subjects.

:hug3:

It’ll be OK, we’re your cheering section. I’d say to see the guidance counselor and tutors if they are available. Use the help you have at your disposal. Your college doesn’t want you to fail! They need your tuition over the next 3 years! LOL

You said you would not seek help from a tutor. Why not? Pride isn’t doing you any favors.

It is true that almost everyone does poorly in a class at some point. It does not have to be the end of your college career or your self esteem though. What matters is that you get some help with your problem areas. Go NOW to a guidance counselor. Discuss your options. They can suggest things you may not know about. See if you can possibly withdraw from the class and make it up in the summer. Yes, you will have lost time and money, but not gotten an F on your transcript, if that is really where you see this going.

See if you can get help with your study skills and time management also. Sometimes students do well their first semester and then slack off thinking they are "smart" and don't have to work so hard. Then they get themselves into a hole they can't get out of. That leads to a downward spiral that can end in despair and depression. In the big picture of life, failing a class is not the end of the world. Do not let it drag you down to complete hopelessness. Take charge of it now while you are only a freshman.

May God bless you and guide you.

If the grammar was always a problem, you should have gotten a tutor early on. Most schools have free tutoring, look into it for next year.

As for your emotional feelings… I read your other thread and you seem to have great highs and lows. Even if they go away on their own, you may want to get help with dealing with them when they do arise. Again, see if your school offers free counseling. It might be a good idea for you to have someone you can talk to right from the start to keep you on an even keel.

May God bless you and guide you. :slight_smile:

For heaven’s sake, WHY won’t you seek a tutor? Tutors can sometimes be the best teachers, because they often approach subject matter from a different perspective than the professor.

“The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” — Albert Einstein

So try something different - like a tutor!!

A daughter of a friend graduated from a college prep high school with highest honors and went to college. In high school, she WAS a tutor. However, in college, she just could not get a handle on the way some of the professors disseminated the material. So SHE sought tutors. She was a smart young woman, but she also recognized when she needed to ask for help.

**Aëtius, **is this your second semester in college? You certainly seem to having a rough time, based on some of your previous posts. That is completely normal. If it’s not, well, that’s normal, too. We all have periods of troubles.

All I can say is that talking to someone will help, no matter what you might think, or whatever bias you might have against it.

I think your grades are a reflection of what is going on in your life. You don’t seem to be happy, a little hopeless, really. Deal with that. The good thing about being Catholic is that we believe in new beginnings. At any time, we can resolve to change things and do positive things to bring us forward.

Find a guidance counselor or go to a local parish and find a pastoral counselor. You’re young - people will reach out to help you if you let them know.

I think the other posts have given great advice.....the only thing I will add is get on your knees, boy! Pray to God for help with your studies. Ask St. John Vianney to intercede for you. He was terrible in school. He kept failing Latin and barely, barely made it to the priesthood because he was such a poor student.

I haven't read your other posts so I do not know if you are experiencing a lot of ups and downs, but a school counselor might be very helpful for you- even if you only wish to talk academics and not emotional stuff. College is tough. It is a big transition. Be humble and realistic about your expectations. Cling to God and ask Him to guide you. God bless!

You have a long life ahead of you.. You can recover form this. Your GPA does not define you as a person or mean your future is over. . My brother flunked out his freshman year of college. He had been a successful high school student too. He went on to a very successful career in computers, a successful, happy marriage, family life, an outstanding member of the community.. He is a joy to be around. He is very responsible, kind, giving and much loved by his family and a good provider too. . This does not mean your future is over.

I’ve been in univeristy for many years and I totally understand to be in that spot. I suggest you listen to everyone’s suggestions regarding seeing a guidance counsellor, a tutor as well. I would also suggest that you speak with your teachers. If you have papers due, you might be able to get an extension on them.

Other ideas, you can contact some of your classmates and arrange to study together. These active study groups can help. I would also ask your professors if he is offering an study time. Some do.

Plus, if there is a class that you know you are going to fail, you might be able to drop the class so that it won’t screw up your GPA. You will get a discontinued and you will have to redo the class but at least you’ve saved your GPA. I know this option is available in Quebec, Canada therefore I suggest that you speak with your guidance counsellor and your teacher before you attempt this. You don’t want to drop all of your classes this option is only in extreme cases. Plus if you are on student loans, check with the student finance office as well. Walk in extreme caution with this idea…

Plus regarding your spanish class, there is a book that might help you. It’s called Spanish for Dummies
amazon.ca/Spanish-All—One-Dummies-Consumer/dp/0470462442/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303085918&sr=8-2

The dummies books simplfy difficult subjects…

Plus there are other books available up here called Coles Notes that cover about 200 different titles. In the past, these books have helped me alot.
chapters.indigo.ca/books/search/?keywords=coles+notes&pageSize=12&page=0

They are extremely useful for anything to do with Shakespear and some of the difficult english books you have to read. There are some listed on amazon.

As you continue to work on your studies, it’s extremely important that you continue to attend mass every Sunday or Saturday night. No slacking off from church. If you don’t atend on a regular basis, start. If you have a church nearby, try to attend mass everyday, or spend some time in the santuary praying. When you need a break or you have a brain freeze, pull out your rosary and pray it for a few minutes. This sounds strange when you are all stressed out but trust me, I’ve learned when you take a break to spend time with God, he will help you with your studies. Somehow the inspirational juices flow.

Anyways, I’ve taken enoug of a break. I’ve got a paper to finish. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I have a degree in two majors and a minor, plus a certficate therefore I’ve lived the importance of spending time with God.

You can and will do it…
Good luck,
SG

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.