College more dangerous than prison for women AND men when it comes to sexual assault, says Obama admin

washingtonexaminer.com/college-more-dangerous-than-prison-for-women-and-men-when-it-comes-to-sexual-assault-says-obama-admin/article/2589841

Sounds like a great argument for going to online education:rolleyes:

I think that’s true, but it’s not true at the college where I work. We’re small, Catholic, very conservative, and very picky about who we accept. We’re more than 100 years old, so of course we have a campus, but we also offer online classes and have students from all over the world.

I think the best reasons for choosing online education is (1) it is far less expensive, and (2) you can proceed at your own pace in most colleges.

I guess this is why the liberals want free college for all???:smiley:

Well Hillary isn’t advocating for totally free college. I know she’s advocating that student loans be cancelled after one has paid on them for twenty years. That’s not anyway near free.

Free college just won’t work. Whose going to pay the professors?

Can’t speak to prison, but I believe it in college. I was in that 5-8% they reference of men who’ve been victims, and I can tell you from experience that colleges/universities are often not equipped to properly handle such situations (more so if it’s a male who has been assaulted than a woman), or at least my Jesuit university was not. So it continues and even grows as a problem.

Don’t we have that now? Students can apply for IBR or ICR based repayment and their loans are forgiven after 25 or 20 years depending. Or is she advocating that the oft ignored secret at the end of the IBR and ICR (that you owe the tax man based on the amount forgiven after 25 or 20 years) be thrown out? :confused:

That is true.

Obama has a 6 month calendar with a statement for each day - all of them worthless!

People would have to pay for twenty years, then the loan is cancelled in its entirety.

Obama uses a Blackberry.

Right now, many are being paid through student loans. The only reason schools can charge so much is because they know their students can get loans to cover most of the cost. Without the loans the schools would be darn near empty. I think the schools bear some responsibility for the student loan problem.

It’s very expensive to run a college. I didn’t realize how expensive until I worked at one. If people can’t afford it, they should take college courses online. They can get student loans for that as well, but the cost is far, far less.

That’s what happens now. If you’re on IBR the loan is forgiven after 25 years, and if you’re on the newer ICR it’s forgiven after 20 years. The catch is that you owe taxes on the amount “forgiven.” Now if Clinton is going to try and eliminate the tax liability that’s a horse of a different color, and frankly one I think needs to happen as the tax liability issue is going to blow up in the country’s face with the millions of people who’ve got these loans and won’t be able to pay the compounding tax liability. Essentially it’s the housing bubble all over again.

It is a meaningless statistic:

thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/21/how-misleading-is-the-new-one-in-four-campus-rape-statistic.html

AAU researchers acknowledged that their findings could reflect an inflated victimization rate at participating schools due to “non-response bias”; in other words, they determined that the hundreds of thousands of students who didn’t participate in their electronic survey (only 19 percent of those asked to take the survey did so) were less likely to have been sexually assaulted. The non-response bias further weakens the oft-recited “one in five” figure—the number of women who say they have been sexually assaulted during their college years—since AAU’s survey and others that preceded it are not representative of all college women.

Indeed, AAU’s 23 percent figure should be interpreted within the survey’s broad definitional umbrella of sexual assault and sexual misconduct, which includes incidences of unwanted “sexual touching: touching someone’s breast, chest crotch groin, or buttocks—grabbing, groping or rubbing against the other in a sexual way, even if the touching is over the other’s clothes.”
While researchers wrote that the “sexual touching” behaviors they outlined fit with criminal definitions of sexual battery, it is impossible to know whether participants’ varying accounts of unwanted “sexual touching” would hold up in campus tribunals, let alone in criminal court.

This is true in that it’s a problem when trying to quantify the issue.

I know my own assault didn’t survive the criminal justice system’s scrutiny because the police simply didn’t want to act on it even after the perpetrator turned himself in since there was no evidence other than he perpetrator’s confession. And the school similarly didn’t take the matter very seriously because of lack of evidence (and the inherent bias against any male on male or female on female assault (essentially if it’s not male on female they have no clue how to respond)). But lack of evidence or “he said/she said”, doesn’t mean the sexual assault didn’t happen. Typically victims don’t just make it up, even if it can’t survive criminal scrutiny in our system which is heavily biased toward the accused.

:thumbsup:

Those things are still a problem but I wonder why they would try to diminish the problem of prison rape by comparing it to something completely different? I read an article about a year ago that said that when you take male prisoners into account, men are raped at a higher rate than women (and that’s only reported incidents, there are likely way more that are unreported). I’m not too keen on searching for prison rape at work so I won’t be able to link the article unfortunately.

Yes, the comparison of rape statistics with “sexual assault” including a grab in an inappropriate place is rather specious, even disregarding the accuracy of the “studies.”

Never had anything like this when I was in college. Believe it or not. There were people sleeping around, that is for sure, but no assault, at least on campus.

:smiley: Yes, he tries to “weigh in” each day just so people know he’s not snoozing through the day unless playing golf or vacationing somewhere;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.