College Students Protest, Alumni’s Fondness Fades and Checks Shrink

College Students Protest, Alumni’s Fondness Fades and Checks Shrink

nytimes.com/2016/08/05/us/college-protests-alumni-donations.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

So they want college to be free but have no problem cutting off a major funder for colleges

I don’t blame them for not donating. My university called me last week to see if I’d be interested in donating and I just laughed and laughed.

Just call it Consequences 101.

Today’s college youth, I pray, will look back at their time in college with much chagrin.

Donations appear to be common in the USA but not elsewhere. It is cheaper for a student in the USA to come to the EU and pay full overseas fees and get a full education for less than the cost of getting their education in the USA, in many cases. But then US alumni give their University money afterwards. The EU universities would not be funded by donations from alumni in any significant way.

From the article:

“Alumni from a range of generations say they are baffled by today’s college culture. Among their laments: Students are too wrapped up in racial and identity politics. They are allowed to take too many frivolous courses. They have repudiated the heroes and traditions of the past by judging them by today’s standards rather than in the context of their times. Fraternities are being unfairly maligned, and men are being demonized by sexual assault investigations. And university administrations have been too meek in addressing protesters whose messages have seemed to fly in the face of free speech.”
That about sums it up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.