College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

A group of students at Trinity University in Texas wants the Christian-rooted school to remove the words "Our Lord" from their diplomas, the Houston Chronicle reported.

"A diploma is a very personal item, and people want to proudly display it in their offices and homes,” Sidra Qureshi, president of Trinity Diversity Connection, told the Chronicle. “By having the phrase ‘In the Year of Our Lord,' it is directly referencing Jesus Christ, and not everyone believes in Jesus Christ."

Qureshi, a Muslim student at the school, is leading the campaign to remove the words. The Board of Trustees is expected to vote on the matter during a meeting next month.

The school's student government association and a commencement committee already has thrown their support behind the proposal. But not everyone supports changing the diplomas.

"Any cultural reference, even if it is religious, our first instinct should not be to remove it, but to accept it and tolerate it," said Brendan McNamara, president of the College Republicans. "Once you remove that phrase, where do you draw the line?"

The school was founded by Presbyterians in 1869 and has been governed by an independent board of trustees since 1969.

Source: foxnews.com/us/2010/03/29/college-students-want-lord-phrase-diplomas/

Mr Qureshi must have a lot of spare time on his hands.

‘In the Year of Our Lord" is simply the English rendering of Anno Domini, which is to say A.D. Qureshi is essentially complaining that his diploma will read 2010 AD.

I can think much weightier issues for a graduating senior to worry about.

Afraid to hang it on the wall, huh ?
"…Those who deny Me, I will deny before my Father…"

News flash, not everyone is Christian!

Is frowning upon their ability to practice their chosen religion productive? No.

Would forcing religious language onto their diploma make them more or less likely to be sympathetic towards Christ? Less.

[quote="diligio, post:4, topic:192770"]
News flash, not everyone is Christian!

Is frowning upon their ability to practice their chosen religion productive? No.

Would forcing religious language onto their diploma make them more or less likely to be sympathetic towards Christ? Less.

[/quote]

Of course, the very numbers we use to designate years are references to the life of Jesus. Muslims (and Jews) have their own year designations. So perhaps taking the year of graduation off would be next?

Oh. So I suppose we should move toward that intellectual CE (Common Era).

But wait! What exactly was the event that ushered IN the Common Era? You guessed it!!!

Sorry, sweeties. You can’t get around it. Even a supposedly ‘non religious’ moniker like that references the birth of Christ. You simply cannot deny it. You can’t try to sweep it under the rug or pretend it was just another day in the life. . .

“I tell you, if they kept silent, the rocks and stones would cry out. . .”

[quote="Ridgerunner, post:5, topic:192770"]
Of course, the very numbers we use to designate years are references to the life of Jesus. Muslims (and Jews) have their own year designations. So perhaps taking the year of graduation off would be next?

[/quote]

If they took issue with it, why not? Its not about whether they are right or wrong, it is about being charitable towards them.

News flash!!! Trinity University is a private institution, affiliated with the Presbyterian Church - USA.

[INDENT]“an independent, primarily undergraduate, co-educational university in the tradition of the liberal arts and sciences, related by historic ties and covenant to the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.”[/INDENT]

If this was a public institution, I would be more likely to agree with you. But this is a **private **school. If one chooses to attend a **private **school, he/she should be expected to uphold the **private **school’s rules and traditions. Otherwise, that one should go someplace else more compatible with his/her point of view.

I guess using your theory, **Catholic **University of America should remove all references to the Catholic Church, as it might offend its few Muslim students?

Or maybe religious institutions should not be allowed to operate schools in this country.

If the private school does not wish to deal with students who disagree with it, why are they allowed to enroll?

I was also under the impression that only the students with objections would get edited diplomas.

I would never be afraid! And I don’t know why any fellow Chirstian would be either.:shrug:

Can you be a little more specific? It sounds like you’re asking them to insert a clause that says: “Before enrolling in our prestigious institution, you must be aware of every decision we have ever made and will ever make in the future, and you must agree to all said decisions now. If you do not, our acceptance offer is thereby rescinded.”

So when he displays the diploma will he also paste over the word TRINITY in Trinity University? :D This kid may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. He should have anticipated this problem when he picked a school with an official, albeit vestigial, religious affiliation.

Changing that is next. :stuck_out_tongue:

I go to a private Christian Academy and we don’t have that on our diplomas.

The Rev. changed it several years ago.

The operative words in your post have been highlighted.

Did the Rev do it under his/her own volition or under pressure from the students?

[quote="markomalley, post:15, topic:192770"]
The operative words in your post have been highlighted.

Did the Rev do it under his/her own volition or under pressure from the students?

[/quote]

He changed it on his own.

Bible study is mandatory regardless and nobody has issues with it.....All parents are Christian(my dad is Jewish but I lived with mom) which is why they pay high tuition for us to go there.

He said his point was to "welcome ALL people of ALL faiths to a great school to receive a great education influenced by Christianity".

Just because you go to a Christian school and learn about Christianity doesn't mean that you're a Christian and he realized that.

I'm converting to Judaism.....I don't want to carry around my schools faith for the rest of my life.

And that’s the key. He did it on his own and not as a response to pressure.

Yeah…Exactly.

He didn’t need “pressure” to see that not everybody that goes to a Christian school will remain a Christian their whole lives and a Jew or Muslim doesn’t what something inspired by Christianity hanging on their office wall.

I personally wouldn’t have made an issue of it either way…

He resolved any problem before any problem arose.

Good man^^.

BUT yeah it should be the Rev. choice.

(Luke 9:26 RSV) For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

As has already been noted, "year of Our Lord" is just English for Anno Domini, abbreviated A.D. for dates. If we want to switch to the more meaningless C.E. for common era, that's just a reference to the common era since the birth of Our Lord.

Perhaps to satisfy everyone, diplomas should just give the date as measured from the Big Bang, something like March 30, 14.637 BB. But that would, of course, be offensive to those who believe the universe is only 6,000 years old.

It's not entirely clear how the students referenced in the OP want their diplomas to read. Just give the date and leave out A.D., C.E., Anno Domini, or BB? Even if only the numbers are given, it's still perfectly clear what starting point we are using.

Perhaps we'll have to find something entirely different, say, measuring from the signing of the health care legislation, so this could be year 1, HC.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.