Colleges

I’m looking for good catholic colleges in either Pennsylvania or California.
I want to take my ACT and apply next year. I was home schooled, and have a GED, so i need a school that is open to that. Thank you so much for the replies:)

This site can help. There are many Catholic colleges that do not adhere to authentic Catholic teaching.

cardinalnewmansociety.org/TheNewmanGuide.aspx

Good Morning! First thing is that if you want to come to school here in California, you need to take the SAT. My daughter graduated from Loyola Marymount University and received an awesome education. She’s an attorney now. Several of her friends attended Santa Clara and loved it too. It’s pretty hard to beat a Jesuit education. No, they are not on the very conservative list referenced by another poster, BUT, if you want to attend a professional graduate school program such as med school or law school, then you need to look at schools with well known academic programs and not just schools that are considered “conservative”. I’ll pray you find the perfect spot for you to grow and learn in!:slight_smile:

There are some Jesuit Colleges out here in California, there is also the University of San Diego. John Paul the Great University (it’s a small school though)

I don’t mind the school being small.
I would actually prefer a small school. I need somewhere that is great with financial aid because my family won’t be able to help me with college. I don’t think i am ready to go so far away to school. I also need a school good in biology. I want to become a molecular physiologist, so i need somewhere to prepare me for grad school. I was looking into La Salle, and Holy family university.

I have decided i’m going to stay in philadelphia for college.
I don’t think i’m ready to live away from home:o If you have any recommendations please let me know!

Here is list of Catholic colleges in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia:
archphila.org/cathcolleges.php

You might want to consider some of the colleges run by Sisters, like Immaculata, Chestnut Hill, Cabrini, Rosemont, and Gwynedd Mercy. I’m a college professor, and would suggest that you contact the various admissions offices about what you need to consider as an applicant who was home-schooled. But I would imagine that all of these colleges would be helpful and supportive. Good luck!

And, keep in mind, if you are not fully happy with your first choice, you can transfer. A lot of people do.

Charity Traveler:

I recommend checking out Villanova, but IMHO I would not apply to St. Joseph’s. If you are already in the Philadelphia area, you can ride the Septa train to school and live at home.

I’ve heard good things about LaSalle, and I have met a few people who graduated from there.

If you don’t mind going up towards Allentown or Scranton, you might want to check out DeSales. I have a friend who got a business degree from there, and it is close enough to where you could come home on weekends.

Temple might be a good place to check as well. It’s not a Catholic school, but a few years ago (2006) there was an awesome director of the Catholic Student Center there. The director was featured on EWTN’s The Journey Home.

Here’s another option that might work for you and save some money: enroll at one of the local junior colleges for one year. Take at least 15 hour semesters and live at home. When you have completed one year, you will have 30 hours of transfer credits to a four year school. Many schools have guidelines for transfer students based on hours completed and grade point averages.

The curriculum at the junior college I recommend for a freshmen like yourself is similar to the pre-med track. I would talk to an advisor or counselor before enrolling, but the basic curriculum for this would be something like freshmen Biology (make sure it is the one for majors), freshmen Chemistry, pre-calculus, English, and another course like Government. That’s roughly a 17 hour semester, because you will have labs for Biology and Chemistry. After one year, you will have 34 semester hours, since Biology and Chemistry are two semester courses.

Hope this helps a little. Again, I am not a counselor, so I do recommend making an appointment with a college counselor or the advisor of the Biology department.

Living at home is not an option.
Home life isn’t good right now, and i need to get away from my family. That is why i’m applying to college.

Charity Traveler:

Villanova, DeSales, Temple, Cabrini, Immaculata, and LaSalle all have residence halls, so you should be able to secure a room if you would like to live on campus.

If you go to a junior college and want to live outside the home, you might be able to share an apartment with a friend, or find an apartment or room close by. Some junior colleges do have residence halls, so you might be able to reside on campus for a fee that is lower than renting an apartment.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Hwriggles4.
That helps alot!

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.