Colombian high court rules Catholic hospitals must provide abortions [CWN]

Claiming that mothers “enjoy a right to decide, free from any pressure, coercion, urging, manipulation and, in general, any sort of inadmissible intervention, to terminate a pregnancy” …

More…

Coming soon to a nation near you… :mad:

And that’s what I’m afraid of when the “government” decides to poke their head into everybody’s business, in their churches, houses, who knows?! Did you know it was outlined in the health care reform to have someone assigned to a woman who has a baby to “visit” her house afterwards:eek: and discuss “future” pregnancies? EEK! Who wants an visit and free advise from the government! Any takers!?

EEK…frecklemom was that in US Health Care reform? :eek::eek: That sounds like population control freaks…or Margaret Sanger types

When government controls healthcare I fear we will be headed the same way.

Another sign of the times we live in. I wish I could say I’m surprised, but I’m not.

May God forgive us all, for we are not doing enough…

It’s bad enough when doctors ask women if they want their tubes tied after giving birth. :mad: This happened to us when my wife gave birth to our third child. Needless to say, he was not the doctor for our fourth child.

I know I don’t but I pray that the Lord will help me become more active. I believe God is crying tonight…

Lord God, I thank you today for the gift of my life,
And for the lives of all my brothers and sisters.
I know there is nothing that destroys more life than abortion,
Yet I rejoice that you have conquered death
by the Resurrection of Your Son.
I am ready to do my part in ending abortion.
Today I commit myself
Never to be silent,
Never to be passive,
Never to be forgetful of the unborn.
I commit myself to be active in the pro-life movement,
And never to stop defending life
Until all my brothers and sisters are protected,
And our nation once again becomes
A nation with liberty and justice
Not just for some, but for all,
Through Christ our Lord. Amen!

(from: priestsforlife.org/welcome/index.htm)

I would greatly like to know what the Catholics in Columbia will do about this. That is if this decision, which has been suspended by another agency in their government, comes into effect. I presume that the only thing they could do is to sell or close all Catholic hospitals. Also, this new decision requires that Catholic schools must implement “abortion rights.” The teachers say they will close their schools, but I would watch this too to see what happens. I hope though that this never comes into effect in Columbia, since other sectors of their governement do not agree with this decision.
I am so interested in this particularly because this very things can happen too in the U.S., and in fact several state goverments have already said Catholic institutions must provide contractive coverage in employee health insurance coverage. I have heard little about this since then and wonder U.S. Church authorities have yielded about this. If Catholics yield, they will only face worse legal requirements from those against Catholicism when it comes to such violations against Catholic people and institutions. The law in the U.S. may also soon say that Catholic health personnel will have to do abortions. We are being faced with similar problems in the U.S.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.