Colorado Democrats abandon divisive abortion bill

DENVER — Colorado Democrats abandoned their own divisive abortion proposal Wednesday, axing the bill after one lawmaker expressed indecision and it became clear they might not have the votes to pass it in a chamber where every vote matters.

Democrats used a legislative maneuver to shelve a bill that would have banned any state regulation of reproductive decisions such as abortion and contraception. It had been scheduled for a vote Wednesday evening in the Senate, where the party holds a slim one-seat majority.

The move came after Sen. John Kefalas, D-Fort Collins, said he wasn’t sure if the measure was the “right tool” to protect a woman’s right to manage her reproductive health.

centredaily.com/2014/04/16/4137777/colorado-vote-on-abortion-rights.html

Thank God. Hopefully we never see another atrocious piece of legislation like that…

Glad to see at least a little common sense there. It’s sad that it had to be so close though.

The article has this:

We weren’t ready to let this session be overshadowed" by the abortion measure, Kerr said.

All Republicans planned to vote against the measure, but they insisted they had no plans to use the abortion debate to stall other matters.

“That’s ridiculous,” Senate Republican Leader Bill Cadman said after the bill died. “What they ran into was a firestorm of public dissent.”

Read more here: centredaily.com/2014/04/16/4137777/colorado-vote-on-abortion-rights.html#storylink=cpy

Kerr the sponsor of the bill did not want the legislative session to be “overshadowed” by the abortion measure. The measure almost sounds satanic. Hopefully, this Kerr will be voted out of office the next time he is up for reelection.

While I am grateful that this bill was defeated,I am saddened and disappointed that the single Democrat vote that helped in this effort,was not from a Catholic senator,registered in a local parish,a Mom of two daughters.I along with many others flooded her office with calls,hoping as a Catholic,she would vote against this ill.Guess not.:(:(:frowning:

I was at the senate-meeting. I had never done anything like that before, and it was quite educational!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. :extrahappy:

So in the name of “protecting women” they were proposing to strip the state’s regulatory agencies of any and all powers to shut down a monster like Kermit Gosnell? Abortion “clinics” wouldn’t have to meet any sort of medical or sanitation standards?

Am I reading this right???

I think part of the problem is that the bill’s language was vague and broad. Protestors were dismissed a bit as tackling only a piece of symbolic legislation. I like Archbishop Aquila’s point that if it can only be interpreted symbolically, then lawmakers wouldn’t mind including the appropriate language.

Political party trumps faith.

Yes, the language was shockingly broad. It said that state and local governments “shall not enact any policy that denies or interferes with an individual’s reproductive health care decision.”
leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2014a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont2/815A63900AD79C6087257C300006B1BC/$FILE/175_01.pdf

Effectively, the bill would prevent any regulation of abortion since the procedure would be available right up to birth. The bill also would mean that abortion providers could not be disciplined if doing so restricted the availability of abortion.

It was a poorly written, terrible bill which would have had terrible consequences had it been passed.

I didn’t think they voted on this:

Pro-life insiders in Colorado are receiving reports that along with Kefalas, at least two other Senators – Rachel Zenzinger and Cheri Jahn – are struggling with their decision. All Colorado citizens are urged to contact Senators Kefalas, Zenzinger, and Jahn (and a few others who live in tight districts) and ask them to vote against SB-175.

liveactionnews.org/colorado-senate-considers-bill-that-would-make-abortion-a-fundamental-right/

How about this bit of the news story:

Warren Hern, who performs late-term abortions in Boulder, Colorado, describes the procedure that could become a “fundamental right” in Colorado if SB-175 passes:

[quote]* The procedure changes significantly at 21 weeks because fetal tissues become much more cohesive and difficult to dismember. … A long curved Mayo scissors may be necessary to decapitate and dismember the fetus.*

[/quote]

Can you believe this?

Do not quote me on this, but it is my understanding that one of the Catholic senators who initially supported it ended up wavering. We should continue to pray for him, thank him, and thank God for the work of the Holy Spirit.

I bet it was a real eye opener.I would have liked to go but I babysit my new grand baby.So,did you hear from Rachael Z,the Catholic senator?

There was no debate, and it literally went down in about 30 seconds. They spent more time debating a b-5 (I think) about wages. Makes me wonder what more is going on behind the scenes…

Have to be eternally vigilent. They tried to speed this through quietly at the last minute to avoid people finding out what evil they were up to. They WILL try again. Abortion is the unholy sacrament of the Democratic Party, and they WILL push to expand it again.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.