Colorado Dems Reject Bill Protecting Babies Who Survive Abortion

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2020/02/14/colorado-dems-reject-bill-protecting-babies-who-survive-abortion-n2561329

Colorado Dems Reject Bill Protecting Babies Who Survive Abortion

Colorado Democrats voted against a bill on Tuesday that would require physicians to render care to a baby who survives abortion.

HB 1068 would establish a "physician-patient relationship between a child born alive after or during an abortion and the physician who performed or attempted to perform the abortion,” states the Colorado General Assembly summary of the legislation. “The bill requires the physician to exercise the same degree of professional skill, care, and diligence to preserve the life and health of the child as a reasonably diligent and conscientious physician would render to any other child born alive at the same gestational age and requires that the child born alive be immediately transferred to a hospital.”

Republicans, including co-sponsor of the legislation State Rep. Shane Sandridge, emphasized the bill is “not an abortion bill” but rather, “a murder bill.”

3 Likes

These guys are terrible.

5 Likes

Very sad the road that the State of Colorado has gone
down.

5 Likes

Pro choicer - it’s not a baby until it is born

Pro lifer - well it was born

Pro choicer - doesn’t matter… the mother wanted it dead

5 Likes

Tweet to note by the Texas Governor who btw, is in a wheelchair, not that it matters any.

These darn politicians get so caught up in the law, to the extent that all morality and conscience is thrown out the window. Obama pretty much said because abortion is a legal matter between a mother and her physician,if Mom want that baby aborted then by golly better get rid of it one way or another. This is beyond vile and shameful😡

2 Likes

I admit I don’t really understand what this bill is supposed to address.
My daughter gave birth to my granddaughter very early. She weighed 1lb 12ozs and the doctor specifically asked her if she wanted heroic measures performed or not. If my daughter had said no, she would have died quickly. My daughter said yes and she is now 11 yo.

So, it seems that the choice to provide interventions is already in place. I would assume an aborted baby is assumed to be a no answer already. Is this bill removing the choice my daughter had? Explanations would be appreciated.

I suppose it’s like what the bill says, to oblige the new born (?) receives medical care. Not that it is optional.

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to look at this in detail. But:

There is already federal legislation in place to that affords legal rights to all children born alive. The key question is what, apart from soundbites and virute-signalling, does the proposed legislation do that goes beyond existing law? In some other jurisdictions analogous legislation included, for example, mandatory reporting by hospital personnel present if they, in effect, disagreed with the choice made by parent and physician. That is very problematic legislation.

1 Like

Well, if that is so, why didn’t you address this part of Patty’s post:

My daughter gave birth to my granddaughter very early. She weighed 1lb 12ozs and the doctor specifically asked her if she wanted heroic measures performed or not. If my daughter had said no, she would have died quickly.

Sounds like there was an option to just let the infant die.

And to abort a baby, even up to the moment of birth is hideous and this much of the Democratic Party clearly stands for. It’s hardly virtue signaling.

1 Like

I am not sure I understand your question.

The legislation in question and laws like it may still allow some choice, consistent with approved medical practice. The legislation that I was alluded ot and have discussed in more detail earlier on the forum comprised this choice with a broad mandatory reporting requirement.

"Infanticide is indeed illegal in the U.S., and yet in half of the states, there is no criminalization of walking away from the baby and allowing it to die by exposure," Sasse said. "There’s an active-passive distinction and a state-federal distinction which are both pretty fundamental."

These bills are needed because there is no criminalization in half the states of the doctor who would allow this to happen. So, the laws some politicians cite per “Infanticide laws already exist”, do not stipulate that the doctor be punished if he does not follow it.

What are the penalties in the most recent federal “born alive” legislation?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.