Colorado News: Court Rules That Possession of Marijuana Convictions Can Now Be Overturned

A panel of three Colorado Court of Appeals judges unanimously ruled in favor of allowing some state citizens who have been convicted of possessing small amounts of marijuana prior to the implementation of Dec. 2012’s Amendment 64 to request their convictions be overturned.

latinpost.com/articles/8964/20140315/colorado-news-court-rules-possession-marijuana-convictions-now-overturned.htm

I actually agree with this.

I completely understand the Church’s position that doing drugs is wrong, but quite frankly, the number of people in jail due to drug charges, especially marijuana, is astounding. It’d be a great relief to the justice system to not have to pay for those people for such minor violations…

Yes, a good decision! :thumbsup:

Marijuana and Who’s in Prison

•A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes).i

•In total, one tenth of one percent (0.1 percent) of all state prisoners were marijuana-possession offenders with no prior sentences.ii

learnaboutsam.com/the-issues/marijuana-and-whos-in-prison

I support decriminalization but this is just stupid. Since when do laws retroactively apply? If this is legal, then I guess now that Massachusetts passed the law making it illegal to take pictures up someone skirt that they can prosecute the guy they let go? Ya, I don’t think so. They broke the law at the time. It should stand.

What you’re talking about is an ex post facto law and it is specifically prohibited by the constitution.

But it is extremely common for people to have their records cleared and be released after a law is changed. It’s just custom. Heck, if you’re charged with something and before it goes to court a law is passed making what you did legal, the vast majority of prosecutors will drop the charges just out of courtesy.

Prosecutors and judges are not there to punish people for breaking the law on principal. They are there to help keep society safe and pleasant. Once society has determined that they don’t have a problem with pot smoking, why continue to ruin lives over it?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Well said.

This is a state to state mess. Every state on the east coast is different. Some are two ounces and under, some 25 grams, others vary. Some carry fines for first time offenders such as NY and CT similar to traffic violations and are progressive with numerous arrests.

Colorado seems a little behind by 4-5 years.

This is great news!

Furthermore, I think this was the real reason why DEA and many law enforcement agencies were against legalization, their interest is with the FOR PROFIT prison system., they just want cells filled and busting to capacity…thats all they care about.

Probably a good idea; it’s cost’s the state a small fortune to incarcerate inmates and there is really nothing to be gained by keeping those convicted of possessing a small amount of hooch in prision. Let them go out and hopefully become productive members of society.

I also agree with this decision…:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.