Colorado officially legalizes marijuana

touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78743767/

I’m here in Colorado visiting family for the holidays, and today Colorado became the first state to allow recreational marijuana. Feelings?

Personally I’m extremely excited to have been in state to witness this historic event. I can only hope the rollout will be successful and show people and representatives across the country the benefits of legalization.

I’m all for it. The arguments against legalization are usually specious and irrational.

Or more specifically, the local police will not enforce Federal regulations on the matter.

The legislation does not mean that it is actually a legal product.

Good!!! It’s about time that we start to see a change on this issue. There is no legitimate reason to criminalize marijuana use!

I suspect there will be an increase in people accessing mental health sevices in Colorado. There are studies that say that cannabis may be a trigger for schizophrenia and other mental health problems. I think long term, there could be an increased level of people being diagnosed with serious health problems related to marijuana.

Marijuana’s effects on the body are profound. According to the British Lung Foundation, “smoking three or four marijuana joints is as bad for your lungs as smoking twenty tobacco cigarettes.”18] Researchers in Canada found that marijuana smoke contains significantly higher levels of numerous toxic compounds, like ammonia and hydrogen cyanide, than regular tobacco smoke.19] In fact, the study determined that ammonia was found in marijuana smoke at levels of up to 20 times the levels found in tobacco.20] Similarly, hydrogen cyanide was found in marijuana smoke at concentrations three to five times greater than those found in tobacco smoke.21]

Legalizing Marijuana: Why Citizens Should Just Say No

People will question California as a comparison because they legalise medical marijuana not recreational marijuana but from California, to Portugal to the Netherlands, places that have decriminalised or tolerated some drugs have seen a lot of problems from this.

Have a beer? Go right ahead. Have some whiskey? Go right ahead. Smoke a joint? Go right ahead. This is long overdue, since there are much better things our police can do than arrest and/or cite people for using Cannabis. **Plus, legalizing it is a big punch in the gut to the drug cartels, and I’m all for that. **

Many of the negative effects of marijuana use are tied to the lungs. There are other routes of ingestion that are becoming more and more popular, like vaporizing and edible products. Either way, there are many more negative effects of alcohol and it’s legal. As long as it’s used in moderation, there is no serious long-term negative effect. There is no reason that it should be illegal to use as long as it’s done in a safe manner, and well regulated.

Article from Forbes: Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/07/05/ten-years-after-decriminalization-drug-abuse-down-by-half-in-portugal/

I agree. I do sympathize with people who feel that legalization is the wrong way to go, but the stats speak for themselves, in my humble opinion.

Drug-induced psychosis, such as schizophrenia, may result from marijuana that is not pure but contaminated by other drugs. This is due to the non-regulation of marijuana that is sold on the streets. As far as the harm of marijuana that is pure vs. alcohol and tobacco, I think the latter two are far more destructive to individuals and society.

Milton Friedman would be happy.

forbes.com/2005/06/02/cz_qh_0602pot.html

Comparing smoking marijuana to alcohol is probably a common comparison but I do not think it is a fair comparison. As the article says, alcohol amd marijuana differ in terms of

addictiveness, toxicity, health effects, and risk of intoxication.

heritage.org/research/reports/2010/09/legalizing-marijuana-why-citizens-should-just-say-no

Some experts on organized crime in Latin America, like Edgardo Buscaglia, say that cartels earn just half their income from drugs.

nytimes.com/2011/06/19/opinion/19longmire.html

Have you read the quote regarding the comparison with tobacco on my first post?

Do you think that no mental health problems come from pure marijuana?

I read the articles. Thanks for posting them, Abyssinia. :smiley:

As for the cartels earning percentages, I’m for anything that will hurt their business. God bless! :slight_smile:

I believe this to be a mistake. We have a similar way of looking at things in Mexico, that if we have a serious problem, the way to combat it is to legalize it.

So far, we have legalized prostitution, which has it in its regulated zones. The thought behind this was that if it’s there, it won’t be other places. Well, from what I’ve been told, it is indeed thriving in the designated áreas. However, it did NOT stop prostitution in other places. In fact, it seemed, if anything, to make matters worse.

I’ve never seen so much open prostitution in all my life as I have right here where I live.

Now, the city officials got the idea to use this same (failed) idea to try against graffiti, here. So again, the rationale was that they would designate “graffiti áreas” and regulate it. Okay, again, graffit, like prostitution, proliferated in these legal áreas. However, like with prostitution, it did NOTHING against graffiti in the rest of the city. In fact, the city is positively plastered with it!

Oh yeah, and some here thought they could also do away with the Mexican mafia by the legalization of prostitution, as well. I can only tell you not only has it not seemed to be affected in the slightest way by this, that sadly, it’s as strong, or stronger, than ever.

Many mental health problems are also relieved by marijuana… specifically PTSD, depression, eating disorders and many others. Any substance you put in your body has risks, especially in large quantities, even oxygen… or water. Many substances can lead to chemical and psychological addiction… including sugar, tobacco, caffeine, alcohol, ibuprofen, artificial sweeteners… Does that mean that we should outlaw them too? The key to responsible use is moderation. There will be some who abuse this law, but they are likely the ones who were already abusing marijuana while it was illegal. As someone who suffers from PTSD, I would gladly use marijuana if it were legal. Since it’s not, I’m not using it… if we legalized it on both the state and national levels, then I could get some much needed relief of symptoms that I currently treat with medications that make my stomach hurt so bad that I quit taking them… Even when I did take them they made me feel depressed, almost numb inside. I’m not saying that I only support legalizing it for medicinal use though… As I’ve pointed out on other issues, I believe that in a free society you shouldn’t need a reason to legalize something… you should have to have an overwhelmingly important reason to criminalize it. Any argument against legal use can easily be applied to both alcohol and tobacco… if we are going to allow those, because they cause no harm to the public, only to the user, then the same logic also applies to pot.

The alcohol comparison is faulty, as has been shown in the article I posted.

I do not see how edibles or vaprisers get rid of the addictive quality that mariajuana may produce.

I feel sympathy that you have a health problem and not getting enough relief from your medication but if one or more of the ingredients in marijuana helps health problems why doesn’t the FDA approve marijuana for medical use?

If THC, or another ingrendient in marijuana helps cure or treat an illness, then surely the answer is for medical experts to attain the ingredient(s) and put it in a tablet or other medical form so that the ingredient(s) are not mixed with other ingredients that may be more harmful? I am not even sure THC can cure or treat an illness, it may only relieve symptoms, that may be enough for some people, but then there is a question of dosage.

As the following article says

Morphine, for example has proven to be a medically valuable drug, but the FDA does not endorse smoking opium or heroin.

alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/bldea050426_2.htm

Who reccomends that people smoke opium or heroin or take it in another form to get the morphine? If it is not done with opium or with heroin why should it be done with marijuana?

Morphine is taken out of opium and the same should be done by medical experts if THC is medically helpful and does not have serious side effects.

As the article puts across, the American Medical Association will not endorse marijuana, neither will National Multiple Sclerosis Society or British Medical Association. There are probably many other health associations which do not take take a position on marijuana either.

Unlike alcohol, marijuana has not been shown to be chemically addictive. As for the AMA failing to endorse the medicinal uses for marijuana, it’s likely due to influence from the major pharmaceutical companies. There is a medication made from THC called marinol, but it is extremely expensive… Big pharma has a vested interest in preventing widespread access to marijuana because their pain medications would suffer.

Even if there were no medical benefits, that still doesn’t mean that it should be criminalized. There are no medical benefits to plenty of things that are legal. There’s no reason to criminalize marijuana and plenty of benefits to legalizing it.

I support the legalization of marijuana. I hope other states follow Colorado’s lead.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.