Colorado - Recreational Pot Not Bringing In Tax Money That Was Expected - Falls 21M short

Saw this on Drudge

When voters approved recreational marijuana sales the state predicted it would pull in more than $33 million in new taxes in the** first six months**. The actual revenue came up more than $21 million short.
The problem is that buying pot is less expensive on the streets where people don’t have to pay taxes or fees.

denver.cbslocal.com/2014/09/02/recreational-pot-not-bringing-in-tax-money-that-was-expected/

So now we have the government selling it and people buying it on this street too.

Two comments:

1. I can see a similar enforcement effort like high cigarette tax states do to prevent bootlegging from lower tax states :shrug:

2. I see a Discovery Channel series in the pre-production phase. Something to replace the Moonshiners series. :smiley:

Part of the problem is illegal growers:

Black Hawk Airlifts

It’s illegal to buy marijuana on the streets. They are supposed to buy from a licensed store.

I live in Denver and it has been a real burden living through the absolute boondoggle of legalized pot. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this gets repealed in the next four or five years.

Wow, people who have used, and want to continue using, a product that is illegal under federal law, will continue to use that product illegally if it saves them money. You have to be high not to see that coming.:wink:

I’d be surprised if it did. When politicians see their role more as permissive parents than leaders or visionaries, they tend to rely (nay depend) upon the vox populi to guide them. Inevitably, the loud voices are heard and the silent majority simply “goes along” because we live in a “tolerant” culture. Things will have to get really bad before the tolerance bandwagon gets upended.

Yep, except now once they obtain it, they don’t have to worry about being caught with it. How will the police know where they obtained it?

Unlike alcohol, pot is very easy to grow.

So, as recreational use becomes legal, many people will just grow their own.

Booze, few want to run a still or go through the process of making beer and wine.

Some do as a hobby, but most find the convenience of buying it at the local package store, far easier.

Pot, just far easier.

Jim

and here, I thought it might actually be because there weren’t as many illegal users as once thought :rolleyes:

The state could require you to keep your store receipt with your stash, but that would sound like Big Brother to potheads. It does not seem so burdensome for people in posession of a prescription drug to produce evidence of a prescription, but maybe that is just me. I have not had a drug prescription since 1972.

It could also start a market for fake receipts.

But I do not have to produce a receipt to prove where I purchased my alcohol even though, technically, it is illegal to transport it across state lines.

Politicians didn’t have a say in the matter. The decision was made by the voters to amend Colorado’s constitution to legalize growing, possession, and consumption of cannabis. In terms of this “silent majority”; decisions are made only by those who show up to cast a ballot and it was a significant win. There is a 19 year old kid in Texas facing 10 years to life in prison for making pot brownies in his kitchen. Do you think that is reasonable?

Maybe less taxes than intended but perhaps a step to ending the war on drugs.

The reason why moonshine is not as huge as during prohibition times is because the cost of legal alcohol makes up for controlling the risk of a bad batch of illegal booze. Sounds like that price point hasn’t been found for weed yet.

Why would anyone want to pay taxes when you can grow your own?? Duh.

I agree that it will take something really bad to change back. Here is the scenario I came up with: A truck driven by a stoned driver sideswipes a bus coming from the Denver airport carrying the Denver Broncos, which then crosses the center line and hits another bus carring the the Colorado Rockies to the airport head on, killing all members of both teams. That might get enough people mad enough to change the law.

But there has been no increase in traffic fatalities on Colorado so far. Traffic stops for DWI, but not a spike in fatalities. Once enough data is in it may go either way.i just don’t think it will be as significant as the lives ruined by past law enforcement efforts.

I wonder if the Legalization effort is a veiled attempt to decrease obesity. Food is delicious, we eat for pleasure, but it takes much more carbon to produce our foods and propel our large bodies in our cars. The theory being that if we just inhaled our Pleasure, we would burn less carbon and be much skinnier. :hmmm::hmmm:

You’re forgetting about the munchies :eek::smiley:

Interesting argument.

There is a 19 year old kid in Texas facing 10 years to life in prison for making pot brownies in his kitchen.

Therefore…???

I have one for you, then.

A college student visiting Denver jumped to his death from a hotel balcony after eating marijuana-infused cookies, according to a coroner’s report…

Conclusion?

You are correct that politicians didn’t have a say in the matter, but perhaps it was precisely because they didn’t “lead" on the matter that “the voters” took things into their own hands. Perhaps mob rule will replace the constitution since politicians have abdicated their real purpose and simply cater to the people, anyway. Why not just cut out the middle man, then, and let “the people” actually create all the laws? What IS the point of having “leaders?”

You are also correct that it wasn’t a “majority” that voted for the amendment - only 37.9% of eligible voters did. As you say, "decisions are made” only by those who have an interest and show up. Strike two for politicians?

So, because this kid made a bad decision, another kid, that has nothing to do with him, should get 10 years to life in prison for making pot brownies? He should have his life ruined?

People make choices and choices have consequences. People should be punished based on the choices of others that they have nothing to do with?

Should the seller of goods be held liable for what people do with those goods?

It is simply immoral to put people in jail for consuming drugs.

Any argument you make about why drugs should be illegal you can also apply to alcohol.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.