Comedian and Actor Bernie Mac Dies at Age 50

Goodbye and God Bless You Bernie, you gave me hours of laugher.:signofcross:

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400842,00.html

Praying for Bernie and his family. May eternal light shine upon him…may he rest in peace.

The Chicago White Sox and the city will miss you. May you rest in peace. May the angels take you into Paradise.

Does anybody know if he had faith in Christ? From what I’ve seen from him, he didn’t resemble a Christian in any way. In fact, his last big appearance was at something with Obama and Obama had to apologize for his vulgar “comedic” act. I hope he has made it to Purgatory at least and will pray for him.

He was born Bernard Jeffrey McCullough on Oct. 5, 1957, in Chicago. He grew up on the South Side, living with his mother and grandparents. His grandfather was the deacon of a Baptist church.
In his 2004 memoir, “Maybe You Never Cry Again,” Mac wrote about having a poor childhood – eating bologna for dinner – and a strict, no-nonsense upbringing.

This is what the Chicago Sun Times said about him today. I don’t know if he practiced his Baptist faith though. Guess we will have to wait and see if he is buried from a church somewhere.

Also, God’s mercy is wide, so it’s totally up to Him.

How fortunate for him that you’re not his judge.

RIP, Bernie Mac.

– Mark L. Chance.

Eternal rest grant unto Bernie Mac, O Lord. May he rest in peace. Amen.

May his soul, and all the souls of the faithful departed, through Your Mercy, O God, rest in peace. Amen.

*Bernie, you will be missed. . .

I just knew some people would have a problem with me posting this on a Catholic site.

Myself if you’re not using the Lords name in vain I really don’t care what adjectives you use, as long as it does not have someone commit sin.

He was an adult comedian he was not doing his stand up to little kids.

[Ok I spent over twenty years in the army so language doesn’t brother me; ok].

Bernie Mac was a great guy. He never tried to hurt anyone he just went out there and made a living like the rest us and did a great job doing it. I love his movies and I loved his standup.

IMHO I believe he was a righteous man. May he Rest In Peace.

May the Lord be you Bernie from a Catholic guy to Baptist guy Praise Jesus!

Why does this fequently happen here? This happened when George Carlin died too. Speaking ill of someone whom just died is tackless and a very poor example of Christian charity. If you are concerned for the status of his soul than pray for him but please skip the judgement.

Thank you!!!:clapping:

Ditto!!

I didn’t mean to sound judgmental. It was just the impression I had of Bernie Mac based solely on what he did through the media. He could have been a righteous man or not…I have no idea and I leave that judgment up to God…It seems others on here have judged Bernie Mac as well, but since their comments were positive, it seems they are accepted but mine were not. I’m not going to turn this into an issue though…About to leave in mere hours for a two-week vacation to see family…Take care everybody and God bless.

Curtis

I didn’t mean to sound judgmental.

Curtis,

That others on this board have been judgmental is true…but you finally said the right thing…none of us know the man’s spirit upon his death. Only God…per our faith

I spent over 20 years on a fire department and bad language was a way of life. I heard it and I used it. It’s not my place to judge anyone because I was a tough guy with a garbage mouth.

Having said that, exposing myself to bad language now makes me feel like my clothes stink from being in a smoky bar or like I haven’t flossed in a week. I just feel contaminated. If people think swearing comics are funny, fine. To each his own.

Bernie was probably a great guy. But building up a tolerance for bad language in my life turns out not to have been a virtue for me.

But no one has the right criticize the choices other people make. I agree with your point. Just not for me.

I read in the Chicago tribune, how every year, he would return to his old neighborhood to bring winter clothing for the little ones. So everyone has a good side. RIP Bernie

I dont know if the show had ANY relationship to his own life, but there was one hilarious episode where it ends up where Bernie and family are going to a Catholic Church because Bernie found out a Catholic Mass is over in a an hour–as opposed to a “typical” African-American “spirit-filled” service

don’t be so hard on curtis. he is only worried for bernie’s soul. he didn’t many anything harmful by it. i have heard a lot of bernie’s routines and he used many colorful words. he made me laugh a lot and i was so happy for his success. i had just read that he was recovering from pneumonia. however, knowing that cameron diaz’ dad and christian brando had both died of pneumonia this year, i had an uneasy feeling. sure enough, i woke up the next morning to the news that bernie mac had passed. it is so sad to lose someone that has become part of our culture and we have seen in the movies and on tv. granted, his comedy routines could have been a little cleaner, but i guess that was his kind of comedy and he was a true king of comedy. he will be missed. i pray for his family.

Yep. An hour isn’t even long enough to get our pews warm.:smiley:

tonight on larry king there was a nice tribute to bernie mac. the other 3 kings of comedy were on - steve harvey, cedric the entertainer, and d. l. hughley. also ashton kutchner was on and his tv family on the bernie mac show. it was a good program. his funeral will be this saturday. bernie and isaac hayes had made a movie together called Soul Man which will be coming out soon. how strange that they died a day apart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.