Comedian Sabina Guzzanti 'insulted Pope' in 'poofter devils' gag

An Italian comedienne who said that Pope Benedict XVI would go to Hell and be tormented by homosexual demons is facing a prison term of up to five years.

Addressing a Rome rally in July, Sabrina Guzzanti warmed up with a few gags about Silvio Berlusconi — her favourite target for her biting impressions — before moving on to some unrepeatable jokes about Mara Carfagna, the Equal Opportunities Minister and one-time topless model.

But then she got religion, and after warning everyone that within 20 years Italian teachers would be vetted and chosen by the Vatican, she got to the punchline: “But then, within 20 years the Pope will be where he ought to be — in Hell, tormented by great big poofter devils, and very active ones, not passive ones.”

The joke may have gone done well with her crowd on the Piazza Navona in Rome, but not with Italian prosecutors. She is facing prosecution for “offending the honour of the sacred and inviolable person” of Benedict XVI.

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4732048.ece

I hardly think that’s enough to earn a prison sentence, we really must do away with these kind of laws, it sounds like Islam. Plus Benedict XVI I highly doubt would be ‘deeply’ offended by it, it’s not like he is ignorant about slander about him, he is not an amateur, he knows what comes with the office of the papacy. I know he doesn’t have a say in this, but I don’t think a 5 year sentence is fitting, maybe a warning or a fine for insulting a public figure. But gee, a prison sentence?

I sincerely hope she DOES get a prison sentence. For far too long Western societies have allowed more and more insults to be directed to God, the Church and holy things in general. If a society does not punish such insults then it is giving its approval to them.

The United States has a passion for freedom of speech. This, in general, is good. However it should not mean that a person can say anything he wants to. We still must respect others and our society should respect the things of God.

Such a notion won’t work, what about atheists and people of other religions, some things Catholics and Christians do insults them. This kind of logic of putting people in jail over things said won’t work. All someone has to do is say “he preached against homosexuality and offended me”, then I suppose that offense should be taken to court and prosecuted too? You can’t look at things by our viewpoint only, sending people to jail is going to get people more upset than not. People will get offended no matter what you say, there is always a group of people that get offended whilst another laughs, always the case.

Just when you thought that, even in the age of Silvio Berlusconi, Italian politics couldn’t get sillier.

Must be one of those old “herasy” laws that’s still on the books.

Lateran Treaty, apparently.

I don’t know if you were kidding, but you are right. The Lateran Pacts of 1929 between Italy and the Vatican provides (Conciliation Treaty, Art. 8) that: “All offences or public insults committed within Italian territory against the person of the Supreme Pontiff, whether by means of speeches, acts, or writings, shall be punished in the same manner as offenses and insults against the person of the King.”

The Italian Republic superseded the King of Italy in 1946. So technically, there are no “offenses and insults against the person of the King”. My guess is that the whole thing will be thrown out.

Nohome

People like that are better left ignored. This is just garnering her more publicity, making her a “victim”. And not being Italian, I’ve never even heard of her, but she can’t be too terribly talented if she has to go after the Pope and Catholic Church. When are people going to get tired of hearing the same old jokes (that aren’t even funny)? Put some effort into your job! Let me guess, her routine is probably laden w/ obscenites as well. How original!

In Christ,

Ellen

I don’t get the joke. I think you are right about her act full of obscenities. Most people who can’t be creative slander people and cuss to get shock value.

I don’t think she should go to jail though. If she keeps it up and doesn’t repent, she will find out what hell is really like. That will be punishment enough.

I follow the work of various orthodox Christian groups in different countries who fight to keep their societies on the path of God’s standards.

I always find that when it comes to American Christians God’s laws seem to take second place to secular principles such as freedom of speech. In other words, “Please don’t insult God, please don’t blaspheme - but if you do, don’t worry we will fight for your legal right to do it.”

God existed before the US nation began. His principles should come first. I get somewhat alarmed when I see Christians using the reasoning and language of the secular, humanist society around them.

If Americans do not stand up for God’s laws and values why on earth should He support Americans in times of trouble such as 911?

Because we asked him to do so.

Nohome

Take Him for granted, don’t support His laws - then expect Him to come to your aid when you ask.

Perhaps some Americans are more arrogant than I thought.

Americans? You think Americans have exclusive rights to arrogance? You do realize self-righteousness is arrogance too.

Nohome

Quite correct. Self-righteousness is arrogance too.

I had said:
If Americans do not stand up for God’s laws and values why on earth should He support Americans in times of trouble such as 911?

You replied: Because we asked him to do so.

My comment about arrogance was in reply to that remark, because I do not believe we should ever presume upon God’s mercy and take it for granted. I say again that to not stand up for God’s standards in our society, but to then expect Him to be with us in trouble, is the sin of presumption, which is a form of pride or arrogance.

Why you would take a thread about an ITALIAN comedian who made offensive remarks about the pope in ITALY and turn it into America getting what it deserves from God on 911 is completely nuts.

Now back to my statement, like it or not, God will always be there for mankind when they ask, even if they have disobeyed him in the past. I don’t make the rules, God does. If you don’t like this, take it up with God.

Nohome

of course is completely nuts. And I suspect within a day or so we will have people claiming that Bush or Cheney wrote her routine.

Nah, her politics are on the left. A more likely scenario would be for persons here to start fulminating against “libs”.

But at any rate, this incident makes me thankful for the separation of church and state and our strong tradition of free speech.

My wife was born and raised in Wales and she still has a hard time understanding how much “people get away with” in regards to speech in this country. I think the United States has the freeest speech in the world. And I am thankful we do.

I agree. It may be troubling at times, but its value far exceeds any inconvenience. I feel it is the true measure of liberty.

Nohome

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.