coming home

Hi,

I have a question regarding acceptance into the Catholic church. I was baptized Catholic as an infant, as my family was Catholic at the time. Things changed and I was raised Protestant. Consequently, I never received first communion or confirmation. I also harbored many false notions (of Protestant origin). However, I have been on a journey home. I have studied and learned so much! I am struck by the fullness of the faith. I want to worship in the Catholic church as a Catholic. I wonder if I can be accepted since I have already been baptized. I wonder what I must do to be accepted wtih regard to the sacraments.

Thanks,
Sherilo

ususally, you have to go through the RCIA program (which starts in September so you are just in time). In smaller churches, you visit with the priest and he decides your course of action.
You will need not only First Communion but Reconciliation as well.
Are you currently attending a Catholic church? Give their office and a call and ask to speak with the priest. He will point you in the right direction.
May God bless you on your journey
D

Your best bet would be to talk to a priest. Since you haven’t had first communion and confirmation I would assume the priest would probably want you to go through RCIA.

If you left the faith after receiving those sacrements all you would have to do is go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation to return, but a priest may feel you need some training in the faith before you can be received into the fullness of communion and confirmation.

Make sure you are going to a church that is faithful to the magesterium.

Welcome home.

[quote=sherilo]Hi,

I have a question regarding acceptance into the Catholic church. I was baptized Catholic as an infant, as my family was Catholic at the time. Things changed and I was raised Protestant. Consequently, I never received first communion or confirmation. I also harbored many false notions (of Protestant origin). However, I have been on a journey home. I have studied and learned so much! I am struck by the fullness of the faith. I want to worship in the Catholic church as a Catholic. I wonder if I can be accepted since I have already been baptized. I wonder what I must do to be accepted wtih regard to the sacraments.

Thanks,
Sherilo
[/quote]

Hi Sherilo,
First of all, Welcome Home. It is wonderful that you have been studying and discovering your faith. It’s great that you want to come into full communion with your Church.

My suggestion would be for you to contact your local parish about becoming part of the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults). This is a process for those adults who are considering coming into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

**There are three categories of participants. **

1. Catechumens: These are people who have never been baptized. They will be baptized, confirmed and recieve First Eucharist all at once, at the Easter Vigil.

2. Candidates: Candidates are baptized Christinas who desire to become Catholics. They will be confirmed and recieve First Eucharist at the Easter Vigil.

**3. Confirmandi: These are Catholics who have never been confirmed. They will recieve the Sacrament of Confirmation at the Easter Vigil. **

**Although you are a baptized Catholic, since you have not recieved first Holy Communion or Confirmation, you would recieve these sacraments at the Easter Vigil, and be brought into full communion with the Church. **

Joining an RCIA class does not bind you to actually becoming into full communion with the Church…It is an opportunity to learn more, and to take the time to discern God’s will for your life. There will be no pressure…

**The RCIA will be a good place for you to continue delving into the mysteries of the Church. There will be people there who can answer your many questions, and to walk with you on your journey of faith. **

**Good luck to you…I’m sure I’ve left something out, so feel free to email me if you have more questions. **

Thanks to you all for your help on this. I wondered if RCIA was going to be the way to go. I wonder if there are any online RCIA classes, or how the Church views this option.

Thanks,
Sherilo

RCIA is not an online venture. We are a flesh-and-blood community, and we are sending you a big hug, and killing the fatted calf, hauling out the best robe and ring and throwing a party! :dancing:

Yes, you probably will have to go through RCIA. Accept it as penance unless your program is a good one. Who was it? Father Corapi? Somebody said of people in your position: “Remember, you’re only one good confession away from being back in the fold!”

I guess that shows how much I still need to know. I was thinking that I could continue my independant studies, take an online RCIA class and attend Mass at my local church. Then one day,I would just announce that I was ready to be accepted.

I wonder if my 12 year old daughter, who has never been baptized or received any of the Sacraments must go through RCIA, as well. And I wonder what my husband who is a cradle Catholic that hasn’t attended Mass in years (I’m praying for that to change) must do when the time comes.

Yes your daughter will have to go through a RCIA program but if there are enough other youth in your area also going through they may have a program especially designed for youth.

If your husband has received both First Communion and Confirmation in the Church, all he will have to do when he wants to return is go to the Sacrament of Reconcilation. Of course if he is having “issues” with the church he should probably talk over those issues with a priest or even attend your RCIA program with you.

[quote=Marauder]Yes your daughter will have to go through a RCIA program but if there are enough other youth in your area also going through they may have a program especially designed for youth.

If your husband has received both First Communion and Confirmation in the Church, all he will have to do when he wants to return is go to the Sacrament of Reconcilation. Of course if he is having “issues” with the church he should probably talk over those issues with a priest or even attend your RCIA program with you.
[/quote]

Or, he may want to participate in a program for returning Catholics that is not run be a priest, if his leaving was precipitated by a run in with a priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.