Coming soon to a diocese near you!

About five years ago the unimaginable happened in my diocese. Since 1976 a Catholic priest and followers in the parish of Corpus Christi, Rochester, NY were on their way to a schism. You should go to their website at spirituschristi.org/ to read more about there perspective. My perspective doesn’t need much explaining. The ordained female priests and homosexual perspective at the spiritus Christi church says it all for me.:frowning:

This very painful situation might not have happened if the bishop in my diocese removed the priest in a timely fashion. Time was on the bishop’s side but he didn’t use it. Why?

These schisms are happening in our church today because of disobedient or lack bishops and priests and they need to be stopped. Don’t kid yourselves and take a closer look at your future at

spirituschristi.org/

If you don’t think it is time for an American INQUISITION think again because the alternative as mentioned above is much more disturbing because innocent people especially children are lead astray. We need to start knocking from the top to stop the madness and deterioration.

I grew up in this diocese and met one of the people who chose to move with Fr. Calhan…

I think Clark allowed Calhan free reign to a certain point - but Calhan pushed the limits a little too far, even for Clark.

Then Clark was forced to take action.

But this type of thing is going on throughout the diocese.

I define this as being luke warm to the point of falling into a cold death.
Luke warm? Where have I heard that mentioned before?

1999 (From the our story link on the site)

On February 24, the diocese of Rochester announced that all of those who had joined the new parish had incurred automatic excommunication, and declared us in schism.

In March, the parish voted to begin celebrating the sacraments. Jim Callan had not said Mass in the new community since being suspended from the priesthood. The first sacrament celebrated would be reconciliation, with a

general penance service at Thursday Night service on March 25. Baptisms were soon begun, as well.

[quote=buffalo]1999 (From the our story link on the site)

On February 24, the diocese of Rochester announced that all of those who had joined the new parish had incurred automatic excommunication, and declared us in schism.

In March, the parish voted to begin celebrating the sacraments. Jim Callan had not said Mass in the new community since being suspended from the priesthood. The first sacrament celebrated would be reconciliation, with a

general penance service at Thursday Night service on March 25. Baptisms were soon begun, as well.
[/quote]

Much had already happened before the two months mentioned above. There were very good indications that someone’s hands should have been slapped long before the schism. Remember that these things don’t usually happen over night. The fact that the bishop took so long to remove Callan is testimony enough.

Still today in various parishes in this diocese I see a number of questionable things happening that should be addressed but are not. What sort of Catholic is being breed here in small city, USA?

Does any one else notice that when a group breaks away from apostolic teaching it usually dramatically increases its charitable works as if trying to prove something?

[quote=Maranatha]Does any one else notice that when a group breaks away from apostolic teaching it usually dramatically increases its charitable works as if trying to prove something?
[/quote]

This seems to be a clear mark of a ‘break away’. I think this happens on an individual basis too. Think about the ways we justify leaving a job or social situation? We tend to feel a need to prove our intentions and worth.

Spiritus Christi exhibited this behavior. They primed themselves up for this well before the schism. This was enough to seduce many into ‘believing’ and following.

This group didn’t become charitable at the breakaway time.
They were charitable all along. That was part of the charm of Fr. Callan…and why so many people are convinced the Holy Spirit is at work in him. “Look at all the good he is doing!” is what I’ve heard quite often.
This is one reason why so many were easily convinced to follow him instead of the Church…
Of course it WAS a gradual process, and I think this group believed the Bishop was behind them, and were shocked with the excommunication.

The huge loss of souls to this kind of schism is so sad and we should all pray for those who followed this priest and for his soul as well.

I know how easy it is for good Catholics who care about all kinds of different issues to be lead astray by someone they trust. We have seen that in our own parish by a sister who for years was able to work her personal views (not those of Christ as He left to HIs Church) into the liturgy and youth education because of a pastor who didn’t keep tabs on her and allowed her too much unsupervised authority. She drew a huge following.

To correct this, the Holy Father sent us a new Bishop a few years ago who has asked for each person in a role of authority, especially in catechesis of any kind, to reafirm their faith in all that the Catholic church teaches. (This is the same kind of thing professors in Catholics Colleges who teach theology are asked to attest) We still have some ringers especially in our youth programs, but the time table for compliance is nearing and we expect them to either embrace the Church or resign as did this sister who was not able to support the doctrines of the Church.

As our shepard, our Bishop takes his role seriously when it comes to keeping the sheep in his flock from going astray. We are very grateful. There are many wolves in sheeps clothing among us…those who place their personal theology above that of the Holy Father and the Magisterium. Pray for all of them and keep yourself vigilant.

From reading the website for Spiritus Chisti, they sound like a happy protestant parish. The only problem with that is that having once heard the Truth and turning their backs on it their souls are in grave jepardy. We need to pray for them and especially the ex-priest who lead them astray.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.