Commandments

Does the Catholic Church believe/have to obey in the 10 commandments?

thank you

Hi BTTG,

The ten commandments are part of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, so yes, they are part of its teaching.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2.htm

Verbum

It would be more accurate to say that we are given the privilege and the power to live according to His plan for our lives.

The HS infills us and enables us to follow His commandments with joy.

1John.5
[1] Every one who believes that Jesus is the Christ is a child of God, and every one who loves the parent loves the child.
[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.
[3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

If we are indeed His children, we will demonstrate His love in us by our obedience.

I think that both Jews and Catholics teach that all men are bound by the ten Commandments, except for the third - Sabbath Day. They are considered derivable by human reason from natural law.

Hello, and welcome to CAF. I hope you will enjoy your stay here. Now in reply to your question; Yes. For 2000 years the Catholic Church had believed and taught before all the world that in order to live in the peace of God we must follow the 10 commandments which can be summed up to two simple commandments as we can read in John 13:34 “A new commandment I give unto you: That you love one another, as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” But you personally dont have to follow them. Remember you have a free-will. It is only if you want to live in God’s peace and love. But also in the end you need to contemplate and accept the consequences if you choose not to follow the law of God.

No

The OP is urged to observe that there are people on CAF who claim to be Catholic, but do not understand or espouse the Catholic faith. The reader must take this into account. It is always safest to go to the Catechism for questions about what the Catholic church teaches.

2068 The Council of Trent teaches that the Ten Commandments are obligatory for Christians and that the justified man is still bound to keep them;28 the Second Vatican Council confirms: "The bishops, successors of the apostles, receive from the Lord . . . the mission of teaching all peoples, and of preaching the Gospel to every creature, so that all men may attain salvation through faith, Baptism and the observance of the Commandments."29

There is a searchable Catechism free online where one can enter terms or questions.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2.htm#2067

Im pretty sure that he was being sarcastic. Not the brightest way to use sarcasm, maybe next time he would put a goofy emoticon.

Yes, of course. But Christians do not keep the Sabbath holy. That’s one of the 10 commandments. But the Sabbath is Saturday. Christians observe Sunday.

Christians are obligated to follow Christ.

When you read the book of Hebrews, it is quite clear that Jesus Himself is our Sabbath rest. We observe the Sabbath by resting in Him - every day.

:thumbsup: Amen.

Separately, we celebrate Sunday as the “Lord’s Day” as did the earliest Christians as recorded in Acts and external historical docuemnts and the solemnity of the “Sabbath” (always Saturday - fufilled in our rest in Christ) is experienced on Sunday, but it is not “the” Sabbath.

I agree with the earlier posts re: the 10 commandments remaining part of the moral law written in our hearts and which we try to follow, as an obedience of faith. In fact, 9 of the 10 (all but the Sabbath) commandments are expressly repeated in the NT.

Blessings,

Brian

the command never was to keep Saturday holy but to keep “holy the sabbath day” - it does not state which day but that “six days shalt thou labour and the seventh shall be the sabbath day”.What is not realised by the Jews and also many Christians is that Jesus Christ gave the 10 commandments to Moses and not the ancient of days with the big long white beard in the heat and dust of the day trekking up mount Sinai whilst His idle teenage son with feet up watching live television at home - btw the sabbath was made for man not man for the sabbath - twinc

Yes of course. But, back to this thread, the Sabbath (as indicated by the 10 commandments) is Saturday. Not Sunday. That’s my point.

Hi Brian

I was talking about the 10 commandments and this topic took on the “Sabbath”. So let’s continue with the Sabbath. I believe that we are to have rest in Jesus everyday of the week. However, by obeying the 10 commandments (Exo.20), those ( 10 commandments) that are written in our hearts and in our minds, we have a Sabbath day of rest. The dictionary today reads that " Sabbath" means Saturday. In over 140 different languages the Sabbath also means Saturday. In reading the Bible it does not state that the " Lord’s day is Saturday. Nor does it mention that we are to keep Sunday as the Sabbath. I understand from my friend that the Catholics want to keep Sunday as Lord’s day to honour Jesus resurrection. My question to him, which he cannot answer, is were in the Bible does it say that the Sabbath was changed to Sunday and secondly where in the Bible does it say that Sunday is the day to honour His resurrection. Isn’t the act of baptism the memorial of His death, burial and resurrection?

The Lord’s Day, which day is the Lord’s day…

(Exo 20:10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

(Isa 58:13) If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

(Mat 12:8) For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

The Sabbath is not specifically repeated in the NT because the sabbath day of Saturday was still being observed. Let me provide you with a few scriptures.

When Jesus was talking to the Jews about the destruction of Jerusalem that was going to happen in 70 AD he said (Mat 24:20) But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Some 40 years after Jesus’ crucifixion He knew that the Sabbath day was still going to be observed.
Jesus defends the Sabbath in Mat. 12:1-8, 9-13
Paul keeps the Sabbath day in Luke 4:16, speaking to Jews and Gentiles in Acts 13:14-15, 42-44, 16:13, 17:2

In Acts I believe that you are referring to (Act 20:7) And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Does the above verse say the Paul preached the gospel, or that this was communion ?Verse 8 reads that there was lamps on in the room. Would communion take place at night. As for breaking bread, it was customary during that time to break bread on a daily basis…(Act 2:46) And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

The disciples came together that night as Paul was leaving the very next morning to Assos. Paul at this time in his life was getting old and it was probably going to be the last time he saw his brethern. As it was, it was the last time he talked to them.

We are to follow Christ, if the Sabbath of Saturday was to be changed to Sunday I am sure Jesus would had made it very clear, for the Sabbath was observed since creation.

craig

Between Sunday and the Sabbath there is a great difference. Sunday is a transfer of the Sabbath to the following Day and has a meaning the Sabbath could never have. The Jewish practice of not working on the Sabbath is not something spiritual, just keeping a law; while the Christian belief in the Lord’s Day or Sunday is putting God in our souls.

The New Testament points out that the Old Testament Sabbath is now gone, because Christ has come. For example, in the Gospel of St. Matthew, the disciples were picking ears of corn in a field. The Pharisees protested but Christ came to the defense of His own (Matt. xii, 1-8). He makes it understood that He is free to get rid of this institution. Christ is greater than the Jewish idea of the Sabbath. Christ is the new Sabbath and Temple of the New Testament. He says: “Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls” (Matt. xi, 28-29). There were also several instances where Christ healed on the Sabbath. Christ is the Sabbath, the time of rest. Christ is a living Temple, a spiritual Temple, not that physical building where the Jews had worshipped.

The OP has this same thread on the non-Catholic religions portion of CAF

(just an fyi)

Craig - sorry, i typed a much fuller reply and the computer crashed! so I’ll just point out the critical distinction (made in my prior post) between the “Sabbath” which is Saturday and the “Lord’s Day” which is Sunday . The Church did not “move” the Sabbath, as commonly suggested - the Sabbath is fulfilled in our rest in Christ every day and we celebrate Mass, fellowship as Christians and the “solemnity” of the sabbath on Sunday in memory of the resurrection.

Blessings,

Brian

I agree with your point on the Jews. We read in scripture that the Jews were under the works of the law, they thought that salvation came by the works of the law, they thought that they themselves, through their self-fulling works, could be saved by keeping the law. We today will never be saved by keeping the 10 commandments, because of our sinful nature we will die. By God’s grace, obedience to the law is the fruit of salvation.

The Christian belief today is that all 10 commandments, including the day of worship on the Sabbath day of Saturday, is to be in our hearts and in our minds. However, God always intended that the 10 commandments is to be in our hearts, not by obeying the 10 commandments because we have to, but because we are saved and want to obey God. After God provided Moses with the 10 commandments, He says in Deut. 6:5,6… the commandments shall be in your heart. Also in (Psa 40:8) I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Please see my earlier reply on what day is the Lord’s Day.

Re: Mat 12 - You are right, in that the Jews, they were fulfilling the meaning of the Sabbath outwardly in the flesh, they did not understand God’s true meaning of the Sabbath, or of any of the commandments. In Jesus day the Sabbath had become so perverted that its observance reflected the character of selfishness, rather then the character of God. Jesus knew that it was acceptable to pick food on the Sabbath if someone is urgency of food ( John and the disciples had been fasting when they approached Jesus). In the parable of Jesus healing on the Sabbath… Jesus states that it is acceptable to do good on the Sabbath. Jesus uses David as an example, that in His teachings He showed reverence for the institution that He created.

(Joh 9:16) Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.

The Jews did not know how to observe the Sabbath day, Jesus knew how to keep the Sabbath day.

“Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls”

If I could paraphrase the above verse. many who believe to profess to be Jesus’ followers have troubled hearts… they do not make a complete surrender to Jesus, for a complete surrender might involve something they do not want to get involved with. it is the love of ones self that brings unrest. When we are born again spiritually, from above, we will be in the same mind as Jesus at peace with Him.

Jesus says (Mat 11:30) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (1Jn 5:3) For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

We all understand that we want to obey the 10 commandments within our hearts through faith. We agree that they are very important. Remember reading Paul’s letter to the Romans and Galations and he talks at great lengths, many chapters, about circumcision, and how under the new covenant that it is no longer required. Paul wanted all to fully understand.
My question is, since the 10 commandments were so very important throughout history, don’t you think God would have made it very clear, if He wanted the day of worship to be changed from Sabbath (Saturday) to Sunday? Jesus had the opportunity in the flesh to make this very clear to all.

craig

Hi Brian

I hope that your computer is working fine now… Satan will do anything to distract us from getting to know our Lord.

Please see my earlier post on the memory of his resurrection as it relates to baptism.

Thanks

craig

Thanks for pointing this out. I am new to the site. I was wondering were some of my reply s went. Now I know.

is the OP - opposition. If so I hate to think myself as an opposition:(. We are fellow Christians, so how can we be opposed to each other.:slight_smile:

craig

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.