Commemoration of "Mary's Nativity" (Sept. 8)

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Sunday’s liturgy takes precedence, but Sept. 8 commemorates our Mother’s birthday! “Hard” words from St. Louis de Montfort, in “True Devotion to Mary” may surprise us.

1. Our best actions are usually tainted and spoiled by the evil that is rooted in us. When pure, clear water is poured into a foul-smelling jug, or wine into an unwashed cask that previously contained another wine, the clear water and the good wine are tainted and readily acquire an unpleasant odour. In the same way when God pours into our soul, infected by original and actual sin, the heavenly waters of His grace or the delicious wines of His love, His gifts are usually spoiled and tainted by the evil sediment left in us by sin. Our actions, even those of the highest virtue, show the effects of it. It is therefore of the utmost importance that, in seeking the perfection that can be attained only by union with Jesus, we rid ourselves of all that is evil in us. Otherwise our infinitely pure Lord, who has an infinite hatred for the slightest stain in our soul, will refuse to unite us to himself and will drive us from His presence.

2. To rid ourselves of selfishness, we must first become thoroughly aware, by the light of the Holy Spirit, of our tainted nature. Of ourselves we are unable to do anything conducive to our salvation. Our human weakness is evident in everything we do and we are habitually unreliable. We do not deserve any grace from God. Our tendency to sin is always present. The sin of Adam has almost entirely spoiled and soured us, filling us with pride and corrupting every one of us, just as leaven sours, swells and corrupts the dough in which it is placed. The actual sins we have committed, whether mortal or venial, even though forgiven, have intensified our base desires, our weakness, our inconstancy and our evil tendencies, and have left a sediment of evil in our soul.

Our bodies are so corrupt that they are referred to by the Holy Spirit as bodies of sin, as conceived and nourished in sin, and capable of any kind of sin. They are subject to a thousand ills, deteriorating from day to day and harbouring only disease, vermin and corruption.

Our soul, being united to our body, has become so carnal that it has been called flesh. “All flesh had corrupted its way”. Pride and blindness of spirit, hardness of heart, weakness and inconstancy of soul, evil inclinations, rebellious passions, ailments of the body, - these are all we can call our own. By nature we are prouder than peacocks, we cling to the earth more than toads, we are more base than goats, more envious than serpents, greedier than pigs, fiercer than tigers, lazier than tortoises, weaker than reeds, and more changeable than weather-cocks. We have in us nothing but sin, and deserve only the wrath of God and the eternity of hell.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful with your Love and Truth.

2 Likes

‘Vouchsafe that I may praise thee, O sacred Virgin; give me strength against thine enemies, and against the enemy of the whole human race. Give me strength humbly to pray to thee. Give me strength to praise thee in prayer with all my powers, through the merits of thy most sacred nativity, which for the entire Christian world was a birth of joy, the hope and solace of its life.
When thou wast born, O most holy Virgin, then was the world made light.
Happy is thy stock, holy thy root, and blessed thy fruit, for thou alone as a virgin, filled with the Holy Spirit, didst merit to conceive thy God, as a virgin to bear Thy God, as a virgin to bring Him forth, and after His birth to remain a virgin.
Have mercy therefore upon me a sinner, and give me aid, O Lady, so that just as thy nativity, glorious from the seed of Abraham, sprung from the tribe of Juda, illustrious from the stock of David, didst announce joy to the entire world, so may it fill me with true joy and cleanse me from every sin.
Pray for me, O Virgin most prudent, that the gladsome joys of thy most helpful nativity may put a cloak over all my sins.O holy Mother of God, flowering as the lily, pray to thy sweet Son for me, a wretched sinner.’ - St Anselm of Canterbury

2 Likes

Amen!

St. Bonaventure:

PSALM 15
Preserve me, O Lady, for I have hoped in thee: do thou bestow on me the dew of thy
grace.
Thy virginal womb has begotten the Son of the Most High…
Let us give praise to the glorious Virgin: whosoever ye be that have found grace and
mercy through her.
Give glory to her name: and praise forever her conception and her birth.
Glory be to the Father, etc.
https://d2wldr9tsuuj1b.cloudfront.net/15471/documents/2016/10/St.%20Bonaventure-The%20Psalter%20of%20the%20Blessed%20Virgin%20Mary.pdf

1 Like

Troparion of the Nativity of the Theotokos (4th tone):

Your Nativity, O Theotokos, has proclaimed joy to the whole world; for from you has dawned the Sun of Righteousness, Christ our God, annulling the curse and bestowing the blessing, abolishing death and granting us life everlasting.

ZP

4 Likes

The Church of England commemorates the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

From our liturgy of the day:

Almighty and everlasting God,
who stooped to raise fallen humanity
through the child-bearing of blessed Mary:
grant that we, who have seen thy glory
revealed in our human nature
and thy love made perfect in our weakness, may daily be renewed in thine image and conformed to the pattern of thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord,
who liveth and reigneth with thee,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.

O God most high, whose handmaid bore the Word made flesh: we give thee thanks that in this sacrament of our redemption
thou dost visit us with thy Holy Spirit
and dost overshadow us with thy power;
strengthen us to walk with Mary
in the joyful path of obedience,
that we may bring forth the fruits of holiness; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

3 Likes

It’s our patronal feast at our parish. We had birthday cake for Mary today after mass.

4 Likes

Dear Dan,

Thanks so much for the beautiful words of St. Anselm of Canterbury. It seems to me the saints all seek to praise Mary because in answering their own call to holiness, God gives them grace to hear His words, spoken to John and to all of us from His Cross more deeply – so that – like John they not only hear but obey:

“Behold your Mother”

Like John the saints take Mary into thier lives, and they see in her the Model of one Who has been perfected in Charity. How grateful we need to be for our Mother of Mercy and of Love!

Dear patricius,

Thanks again for the glorious praises of Our Mother and Model from St. Bonaventure. How very much we honor God in praising our Mother for God has given Jesus to us through her humble “Yes”, and by the power of the Holy Spirit!

Dear ziapueblo,

Theotokus – how lovely Mary, the God-bearer is! Yes, her birth proclaimed joy to the whole world for from her, dawned the Sun of Righteousness! We owe Jesus and our Mother so much love for all they suffered for us that we might live eternally in Love. Thanks so much ZP for your reply!

1 Like

Thanks Symphorian, for the prayers and especially for the entreaty at the end, to God that in receiving Jesus through Mary, God visit us with the Holy Spirit, overshadowing us with His Power …how very much I need His strength to walk with Mary…how I long to bring forth fruits of holiness through Jesus, her Son and our brother.

Dear Ike,

How sweet for the children of your parish to see their parents, families and friends celebrating her Birthday! May all of us be “like little children” before God our Father and Mary our Mother. O Jesus Meek and Humble of Heart, make our hearts, like yours.

1 Like

Start preparing for a birthday cake for our Lord. You might like to have some helpers at hand as there is usually a crowd showing up for his birthday. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Dear HeDa,

Thanks be to God that in the USA, some are beginning to get away from the “Happy Holidays” greeting that was beginning to replace “Blessed or Merry Christmas”. We need to keep Christ in Christmas for sure.

It was a blessing to me on the vigil of Mary’s Nativity (Sept.7) that we had our First Saturday Mass and celebrated also the “birth” of the Legion of Mary – at Mass, and afterwards gathering for refreshments the Legion Members brought to share with the parish. A good number of parishioners came, and we had a table of Honor for our Mother with flowers and her statue to welcome all who came to share fellowship after the Mass.

How grateful we need to be for ALL God’s Love and Blesseings and especially for giving us Jesus through Mary our Mother!

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.