Commission Finds ‘No Compelling Medical Reason’ To Exclude Transgender Americans From Military

From CBS:
An independent commission led by a former U.S. surgeon general has concluded there “is no compelling medical reason” for the U.S. armed forces to prohibit transgender Americans from serving and that President Barack Obama could lift the decades-old ban without approval from Congress, according to a report being released Thursday.

The report said Department of Defense regulations designed to keep transgender people from joining or remaining in the military on the grounds of psychological and physical unfitness are based on outdated beliefs that require thousands of current service members either to leave the service or to forego the medical procedures and other changes that could align their bodies and gender identities.

“We determined not only that there is no compelling medical reason for the ban, but also that the ban itself is an expensive, damaging and unfair barrier to health care access for the approximately 15,450 transgender personnel who serve currently in the active, Guard and reserve components,” said the commission led by Dr. Joycelyn Elders, who served as surgeon general during Bill Clinton’s first term as president, and Rear Adm. Alan Steinman, a former chief health and safety director for the Coast Guard.
I’m going to hold my comments on this for the time being.

They would be the first to die in a battle. No one will have their back.
The unity and morale of the group will suffer and battles will be lost.
The military is meant to be a fighting machine that wins. Not a PC group that lets everyone play.
It would be a huge mistake on so many levels.

Your claims are in stark contrast to the following:

Retired Brigadier General Thomas Kolditz, a former Army commander and West Point professor on the commission, said he thinks allowing transgender people to serve openly would reduce gender-based harassment, assaults and suicides while enhancing national security.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/03/13/commission-finds-no-compelling-medical-reason-to-exclude-transgender-americans-from-military/

Dr. Joycelyn Elders led this commission.

Enough said!

yep.
Mary.

They said similar things about integrated units.

This is not a good idea.

The Army is an institution meant to defend one’s country. Not a playground where the liberals’ political footballs can be kicked around with impunity. :mad:

Which physical requirements would they have to meet? The physical differences between the sexes are more than a bit of extra fat here and some dangly bits there, and the “corrective” surgery does nothing to change the underlying bone structure and musculature.

Yes. I had nearly, thankfully, forgotten about Joycelyn Elders. And here she is again.

HRT substantially affects musculature

Perhaps in terms of bulk, but not in terms of attachment points and structure.

Is this perhaps a good way to get taxpayers to pay for sex reassignment surgery?

Jim G- You hit the nail on the head. Check out the last paragraph in the article.

The military should exclude anyone from service who cannot perform up to standard or will cause some kind of problem even if it’s no fault of the individual person.

We’ve got big time problems if we need to cover sex-change surgery in order to enhance our military capabilities.

But that’s what some of this is probably about.

The Army is an institution meant to defend one’s country. Not a playground where the liberals’ political footballs can be kicked around with impunity. :mad:

Agreed, but did anyone really think they’d stop with St. Patrick’s Day parades?

So much for “it’s just about what people do in their own bedrooms”. :rolleyes:

One false progressive promise after another.

Part of me thinks that people who promote positions like this honestly believe that if they keep putting more sugar in the gas tank, eventually the car will run on it.

These “doctors” see no issues with having hormone dependent military personnel? Really? Where’d they get their medical licenses a cereal box?

I have a feeling that a majority will be transwomen. Since I doubt many would get SRS while on active duty the lack of HRT would cause testosterone to go up which isn’t really an issue on active duty.

I’m with you on this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.