COMMON AND INDIGENOUS ELEMENTS OF WORSHIP OF CATHOLICS

Hi - I am new to this forum so please excuse me if I get it wrong.
I am trying to assist a young girl with an assignment on common
elements of worship within the tradition of the catholic church
and (b) indigenous elements of worship within the tradition of the catholic church. we are catholic but are both stumped…can anyone
help us, as her deadline is closing soon.
thanks very much
please can you reply on forum or e mail

Dear Sam,

I don’t find the topic of such an assignment to be very workable. There are no significant indigenous elements of Catholic worship that distinguishes it from that which exists in the rest of the Church. Certainly, in Africa liturgical dance is allowed because dance is such a part of the local culture. But the liturgy there is essentially the same as it is everywhere else.

What would be a better distinction would come from the differences between what is essential in Catholic worship and that which is not. The example of liturgical dance would fit quite well here. It is certainly not essential. The parts of the Mass are! It is important for Catholics to know what is essential about their faith.

Write again if you need more.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.