common beliefs

let’s ignore the differences and debates and focus on what we believe we Christians have in common

I will start with what I believe is #1

Jesus has illustrated His unconditional love for each and everyone of us on the face of this earth

How about this:

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation, he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered, died, and was buried. On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.
Amen.

How about an amen from anyone who agrees :thumbsup:

God bless

Quote:
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation, he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered, died, and was buried. On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.
Amen.
How about an amen from anyone who agrees

God bless

AMEN AMEN and AMEN

:signofcross: Amen!

You see how they are? It doesn’t matter to them that you love the same Jesus they do or that you love Jesus as much as they do. You don’t love the same way that they do. so, as far as they’re concerned, you’re going to hell.

Trying to stir up trouble, ISTM. I think the responses were in support of what the OP said, that the creeds express the universal Christian sentiment, expressed in a different way by the OP.

I say Amen to all of these expressions.

Jon

If this is the case then I stand corrected and apologize. If not then I stand my by my words.

Not…quite.
Diana the Mormon, who fully agrees with the OP, but has a problem or two with the creeds.

OK. The OP didn’t identify as LDS. As you are, I can see why you would disagree with any of the three ancient creeds.

Jon

Ditto :thumbsup: The reason being is that these creeds, especially the Nicene Creed dispels a few heresies.

Well, the OP identified him/herself as a ‘bible believing Christian.’

True, my definition of “Christian” marches with the definition found in a dictionary (since so many Christians seem to believe that the definition really is 'he who agrees with me…"). However, I find it difficult to imagine a Christian who does NOT believe that “Jesus has illustrated His unconditional love for each and everyone of us on the face of this earth.”

I’m willing to entertain an argument from someone who claims to be Christian who does not believe this. (Wait…maybe Calvinists? I’d have to hear from them, anyway.)

The problem lies in the responses to that OP statement. It seemed to me as if they were grabbing that first statement and attaching stuff to it that might not belong; like earmarks on a congressional bill.

Unhappily, the OP may have come up with the ONLY belief we all hold in common. Not everyone who term themselves Christian agree that Jesus is THE only begotten Son of God. Some even say it’s unimportant if He really rose from the dead.

There might be more agreement on what he taught like love your neighbor and even your enemy (but we don’t do too well in living that one:().

Like Diana, I too have problems ascenting to creeds.

The only “creed” I would ascribe to is “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your might, and the second is like unto it, love your neighbor as yourself…this is the Law and the Prophets”.

The OP states a truth…we are loved, we are not only the seeker after the Pearl of Great Price…but we are the Pearl as well. We are the Coin and the Sheep the Shepherd left the 99 to go find…we are the Prodigal that the Father ran to and hugged him to His breast.

We are loved…“Behold what love the Father has bestowed upon us!!!”

It is the case. Apology accepted. :wink:

God bless you

I wish your statement was true. Unfortunately…

I had an ongoing discussion with a very strict Calvinist for close to 10 years on alt.religion.mormon (a usenet group) who absolutely insisted that Christ did not have unconditional love for everybody, nor did He indeed die for everybody. He loved, and died for, only those who were of ‘the elect.’ Those who were fated for damnation, the ‘unregenerate,’ were no more worthy of His love and sacrifice than the cracked pots broken in the fire.

Now I have no real idea whether he was speaking for all Calvinists, or just hyper-Calvinists, or any particular group. I do know that he held to that position for over a decade in the face of some very severe criticism, so he was absolutely speaking for himself, if not for others. He was accepted as Christian by all those who decided that I wasn’t worthy of the title, and he called himself a Christian–I suppose he was (and is, if he is still around) a Christian.

but then I think I am, as well. :wink:

I don’t think any do disagree with the OP. And the OP opens up the thread to additional items by stating, “I will start with what I believe is #1”. So Roman_Catholic and others simply added things, and since the vast majority of Christians believe at least the statements of faith found in the creeds, if not creeds themselves, I don’t think anyone was intentionally looking for differences.

I am thankful that you and I agree with the OP’s statement. :thumbsup:

Jon

Oh, my, I don’t have any problems with it AT all!!!

Thank you, even though the words no longer hold meaning for me the sentiment does. :slight_smile:

hi Publisher, I agree 100%

God bless

A true example of Christianity…the power of being able to joyfully forgive.

God bless you Roman Catholic

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.