Common Principals of Faith we Share

Hi all :wink:

In the spirit of Service to God and Fellowship between all Humans that live and share this planet, how about a post that explores all the Common Ground we Share.

This post being about the Virtues we must live as inspired by the writings of the Faith we Follow.

Lets Start with one which is all important - the Goden Rule as it is called, a Rule shared by all Faiths. :thumbsup:

THE GOLDEN RULE

Hindu Faith
When a man sees that the God in himself is the same God in all that is, he hurts not himnself by hurting others: then he goes to the highest Path.
Bhagavad Gita (13.28)

Buddhist Faith
Hurt not others with that which pains yourself.
Udana-Varga (15:8)

Jewish Faith
What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow men. That is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary.
The Talmud (Shabbat 3’a)

Zoroastrian Faith
Do not unto others all that which is not well for oneself.
Shayast-na-Shayast

Christian Faith
All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
The Gospel of Matthew (7:12)

Muslim Faith
No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.
Hadith of Bukhari
(quoted in "Prophet Muhammad
and His Mission_, p. 106)

Babi Faith
Become a source of comfort to one another.
Writings of the Bab, p. 129

Baha’i Faith
And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbor that which thou choosest for thyself.
Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, p. 30

There is also a great Golden Rule Poster at this link - scarboromissions.ca/Interfaith_dialogue/what_we_do.php

God Bless all Regards Tony

Nice idea for a thread. :thumbsup:

In considering this very idea many many years ago (while away from the faith) I came to the conclusion that the most basic thing that we share with other faiths is the principle of Love thy neighbor as thyself…Agape love…which is embodied in the various quotes you provide above.
In so far as what we are able to do to please God, this principle is the most fundamental.

My conclusion was (and is) that any faith that has this idea as a core value needs to be seen in a righteous light.

Peace
James

What a truly wonderful and profound conclusion James!

I honour your free spirit :slight_smile:

Wow. So, we’re really all just one big happy family.

:grouphug:

Oh, wait…

2 Peter 2:1
There will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

1 Peter 5:8-9
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith

If any of you have read C.S. Lewis in the Abolition of Man, in the back of the book he has a long list of quotations from assorted religions demonstrating things that are held in common.

This is a pretty big, and I would suggest unproductive, leap given the stated purpose of the thread.
No one has yet suggested that we are just one big happy family - - only that there are commonalities.

Oh, wait…

2 Peter 2:1
There will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

1 Peter 5:8-9
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith

These are indeed good verses to keep in mind, but I don’t think that they should prevent us sharing the commonalities.

Peace
James

Syncretists seek to find commonality and minimize distinctions. This thread was started for a reason - it’s a soapbox. :mad:

This may or may not be true. You cannot guess one’s mindset when they started this thread. I would tread carefully though, I agree that this could turn into heresy fairly quickly.

The Catholic Church rejects nothing of what is true and good in other religions. Sometimes it’s good to look at what we have in common, because then we can understand the divisions better.

• it’s a soapbox. :mad:

This may or may not be true. You cannot guess one’s mindset when they started this thread. I would tread carefully though, I agree that this could turn into heresy fairly quickly.
[/quote]

Agree - we do not know the reason that the thread was started - other than that which is stated in the OP.

My make the assumption that the reason is some how nefarious?

I do not agree that it could “turn into heresy fairly quickly” - - I would say that it could quickly move from talking about things we share into things we do not share…

Peace
James

I guess I would agree that you are more correct than I am. This may just turn into an argument about who is right or wrong and not talking charitably about what we all have in common.

It is your choice :wink:

John 17:21-23 ESV

That they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

1 John 4:11-13 ESV

Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.

1 Peter 3:8 ESV

Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.

Regards Tony

Agreed. But remember, the Baha’i are peddling their idea that Baha’u’llah is a new and improved “manifestation of God”, so it’s not like you’re chatting with some quirky Episcopalians here. These folks are trying to establish a world-wide…er…presence.

The Baha’i have nothing to share about God that enriches Catholicism in any way. :nope:

Thanks, Tony. John and Peter were Christians writing to other Christians. Paul, for one, was less cordial when dealing with those who taught false doctrines in his day.

Well, I don’t know about that. I have to speak with people and hear what they have to say before I decide if it’s worth two cents or not.

Thank you for your open mind, you are true to your Faith and Love of Christ :thumbsup:

I have found in life, that when one thinks they have obtained unto all truth, then progress is slowed greatly and inevitably God sends a few tests ones way to remind us who is the Holder of all truth :wink:

God Bless and may our Love for Christ ever increase :slight_smile:

Regards Tony

Which is exactly the response the OP is hoping for, of course.

And who is “Christ”, Tony?

Jesus or Baha’u’llah? Or both?

Baha’i theology draws a distinction between the Spirit of Christ – infinitely glorious, absolutely unique and utterly indispensable as the only pathway to God – and the historical person of Jesus.

Source: bahai.us/2012/04/06/how-bahais-view-christ/

You separate Jesus from “Christ”, but for Christians, Jesus is the Christ. So, you chose your words of “blessing” carefully to give the appearance of saying something acceptable to Catholics without actually confirming what Catholics believe or denying your own beliefs.

Clever. Very clever.

This is why I would tread very carefully, I also do not like to just “assume” people have horrible intentions. I agree that there are many “new agey” religions out there who really seek to pull all out of Christianity and into the new age movement or even into the Evil One. But I also do not want to judge too quickly.

Oh, of course. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.