Common values in christian religions

I an a Catholic. I would like to know which values are common in the Catholic church and in other Chtistian denominations.

I have a general idea. I know love, honesty, respect for life are common. But I would like to know more specifics mainly in the celebration of Sunday services.

I have attended very few non-Catholic services mainly weddings and Christmas services, I do not have enough background to make a conclusion on my own.

I have done some research online but I only find websites that emphasize differences and not common elements.

Thank you very much

I typed out this elaborate detailed analogy of the Church of Christ. Sorry I don’t have time to put it all back together. You question will no doubt turn out some very interesting surprises for you.

If you are asking about worship styles, there are too many variables to mention. Quite a few modern independent churches go for high entertainment services with huge video screens, Christian rock music, and the full surround sound systems supplementing feel-good messages. Simple services such as the Primitive Baptists have no instruments and feature long sinners-in-the-hands-of-an-angry God sermons.

Most Protestant groups I have visited in my life have communion no more than monthly. Others do it only quarterly. It was regarded as a mere symbol, so it was not done at every service. In fact, my former church now only has communion at sparsly attended Sunday night services once per month.

Standing and sitting times are not set as in Catholic liturgy. The minister of music, as he was called in my former church, would direct the congregation to stand or to remain seated and sing the announced hymn. The preacher would sometimes ask the congregation to stand for prayer and sometimes not.

The typical service of the churches I attended in my youth had an opening hymn (congregation asked to stand), followed by a prayer, announcements, welcome to the visitors with hand shaking and a chorus, special music, a hymn, offering, a choir song, the sermon, the invitation with prayers and hymns, and a closing prayer.

The sermon was the center of worship, unlike the Catholic view that the Eucharist is the main point. It was very important that the people be taught doctrine, that people come forward to “make a decision for Christ”, and that the backsliders be turned around.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.