Communal Socratic Dialogue Regarding: The Sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession

Okay, let’s try this. This is only going to work if there is interest and participants. I just thought we could give it a shot and so I am setting it up.

Now, the way this will work is in the Socratic style. By this I mean the way Socrates would scrutinize a topic. Socrates was the teacher of Plato who was the teacher of Aristotle. Socrates never wrote anything, but Plato wrote some of his teachings in the dialogue form Socrates used to employ.

Basically, we are going to have two ‘persons’, one we will call the “Spectator” and the other the “Catholic”. The Spectator and the Catholic are not particular individuals but, instead are anyone who would like to participate and further the dialogue. However, the poster will identify himself or herself as a Spectator or Catholic and can play either role.

The idea is that the response to a question will raise other questions and so we go on until the dialogue comes to an end and all the questions are answered.

We need to start somewhere and we already have a topic: The Sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession. So, we are not going to start so far off as to begin with the question: Does God exist?

We are going to start with three assumptions and these are:

1. The Spectator believes in the existence of God,
  2. Believe that Jesus is Our Savior and Lord. and
  3. Is familiar with the Bible which he/she accepts as Sacred Scripture.

Nonetheless, we are going to begin our dialogue as early in the understanding as possible even given the assumptions above. Our destination is to arrive at a clear understanding of why a person should confess to a priest and why it is the will of God. And so let us begin…

SPECTATOR: Why do I even need to confess to God or man or even feel guilty about any of my thoughts or actions?

CATHOLIC: We need to confess our sins to God to consciously acknowledge them and to prepare to make some amends for what we have done. Sin is a great offense to God and it is why he suffered so much for us. Sin is never a private matter, it always effects others and of course God.

By confessing our sins we are also giving ourselves a chance to change our behavior and become closer to God and more Christ like. Confession is a healing Sacrament in which we experience God’s love for us. That love heals our souls and makes us stronger Christians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.