Communion and the sacraments

Can i receive holy communion and the holy sacraments if my children are not baptised? I’m having my marriage blessed so that I can but I hadn’t thought about my children and whether or not that matters. Help please.

Talk with your priest. Certainly you’ll want to have your children baptized as soon as possible.

There is not a relationship between your childrens sacraments and yours. The question seems odd have you made first communion, been confirmed, made confession? If you are an adult coming into the church you would typically attend RCIA, then receive sacraments.

If you are a baptised Catholic, you don’t need to go through an entire RCIA program to return to the Church. You will need to be confirmed if you haven’t been already and of course go to confession before you receive communion.

Your children’s sacraments will be on their own schedule. You will of course, want to have then baptised as soon as possible. Then, depending on their ages, your parish will have classes for children who have missed receiving their sacraments at the usual time. Your parish may also organize things so that the entire family receives the sacraments of initiation (baptism, confirmation, and first Holy Communion) all at the same time.

The best thing to do is make an appointment to speak to your priest about what steps, other than the validation of your marriage, you and your children/husband each need to take to come into full communion.

Welcome home! I’ll be praying for you.

Maybe I misread your earlier post, were you receiving before? Then had to stop and now are returning to communion?

Yes. I was brought up as a catholic but over the years my faith kind of faded to the background. I am now returning to the church and am having my marriage blessed so that I can receive communion etc. I just wasn’t sure whether i also needed to baptise my children to receive it fully.

Before anything else, have a looong examination of conscience and go to Confession!

Welcome back!

Since you are Catholic, it is your grave responsibility to have your children baptized in the first weeks of life. Because you have been away from your faith for a while, and did not to this, you need to remedy this situation immediately. I would think that failure to have your children baptized would be a serious sin (mortal sin if done with knowledge and consent), a sin that you would want to confess before receiving Communion. And part of your repentance for that sin would be to take whatever steps are necessary to have your children baptized as soon as possible. If they are below the age of reason, you would just make arrangements with your pastor. If they are above the age of reason, they would probably need to be catechized before baptism, since they are old enough to give their free consent to receiving the Sacrament of Baptism.

If I were in your situation, I would not begin to receive Communion without a firm resolution to have the children baptized as soon as possible. That may not mean that they will be baptized before you receive Communion, but at least that you have the process toward their baptism underway.

You have a serious obligation to have your children Baptized, but no doing so would not affect your reception of the Sacraments if their Baptism is out of your control.

yes

Indeed. Emphasis on the bolded bit though.

I don’t think you need to wait for your marriage to be blessed to baptise your children, so if possible get it done sooner! Talk to your priest.

I’m flabbergasted over this. How can you NOT think about the spiritual welfare of your children in this regard??

Possibly the children (or some of them) are old enough to decide that they do not want baptism for themselves … possibly the father has some objections … lots of reasons.

Probably because i have been recovering from a near fatal brain haemorrhage; learning to walk, talk and eat all over again! My eldest son is three and I have been recovering for three years. My wife is non-catholic and i do not wish to force my religion upon her or my children. They are free to choose their own path.
Try not to flabbergast yourself too much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.