Communion Antiphon

In my current parish, after the Priest has taken the Eucharist, someone will say “Communion Antihpon” and will recite it, joined by a few others (not many at all). I’ve never seen this happen in any other parish and, for fear of disrespect, I don’t join in…the reason I don’t is that I’m not sure if there’s a particular reason or requirement to be ‘allowed’ to recite it.

So, in short, can anyone say the Communion Antiphon?

[quote="paddygwant, post:1, topic:244181"]
In my current parish, after the Priest has taken the Eucharist, someone will say "Communion Antihpon" and will recite it, joined by a few others (not many at all). I've never seen this happen in any other parish and, for fear of disrespect, I don't join in....the reason I don't is that I'm not sure if there's a particular reason or requirement to be 'allowed' to recite it.

[/quote]

Yes.
The GIRM says this: "87. (...) If there is no singing, however, the Communion antiphon found in the Missal may be recited either by the faithful, or by some of them, or by a lector. Otherwise the priest himself says it after he has received Communion and before he distributes Communion to the faithful."

[quote="paddygwant, post:1, topic:244181"]
In my current parish, after the Priest has taken the Eucharist, someone will say "Communion Antihpon" and will recite it, joined by a few others (not many at all). I've never seen this happen in any other parish and, for fear of disrespect, I don't join in....the reason I don't is that I'm not sure if there's a particular reason or requirement to be 'allowed' to recite it.

[/quote]

that is what is supposed to happen. the hymn we usually are forced to sing at communion time is the second choice. the antiphon is preferred choice for what the people recite or chant

I have seen parishes where at weekday Mass everyone says the communion antiphon, no one says it or, as the OP described, just a handful recite itl. Not everyone uses a missal or missalette at that point, so people do not always have it handy. Ditto for the entrance antiphon.

Thank you Phemie and puzzleannie!!

And thank you Chatter163 (you'd posted as I was saying previous 'thanks')!

They hymn is actually Option 4 in the GIRM.

If one is at a daily mass with no singing, is there a specific moment when the entrance and communion antiphon is to be said? Furthermore, am I right that it is not required that the celebrant lead the congregation in reciting the two antiphons? If one wants to say then aloud, is it something that should first be brought to the pastor’s attention?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.