Communion Argument

backporch.parmafamily.com/communion.htm

Lets discuss this guys point of view. ACTUALLY read what he wrote

Simple counterargument. He tries to refute the Bread of Life discourse, but fails because he neglects the connection to the Last Supper. Try Matthew 26:26-29, Mark 14:22-25 or Luke 22:14-20.

And that’s not even mentioning the usual counterargument:

1. The Greek verb usually translated “eat” in the Bread of Life discourse more exactly means “gnaw” or “eat like a wild animal”. NOT a pacifistic “eat” meaning “take the Gospel into your heart”.
  2. If Jesus really was speaking metaphorically, don’t you think he would have called the crowd back?

There are so many quotes, that it would get unweildy to respond to each one. So I’m just going to pick a few. I’ll put his citations in red, and my response in black.

matt 4:4 not bread alone, but every WORD of GOD
there is physical food and spiritual food

1 Cor 10 under cloud,all ate spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink from the rock that followed them. that rock was christ

john chapter 6 is not about communion/passover, but describing himself as the bread of life…the word of god

john 6:25-27 labor not for the food that disappears, but for the food that remains to eternal life, which the son of man will give to you (physical food vs spiritual food)
john 6:32-34 it is not moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but my Father is giving you the true bread from heaven…me (physical food vs spiritual food)

john 6:51, 53, 56, & 57
my flesh, eat my flesh, drinks my blood, consumes me = eternal life, live forever
thief on the cross? other verses would need to include taking communion along with believing/obeying the gospel

I almost thought the author was putting forth a case for the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. All of these passages show that “word” refers to a Person - not just the verbal utterances made by Him. The Word is God; the Word is Jesus. The Father sent Him to us; eternal life is in Him. We receive Him for spiritual nourishment - not physical nourishment to maintain our physical health. We do not believe that the ONLY way to receive eternal life is thru reception of the Eucharist.

Leviticus 17:10-14 do not eat or drink blood!
This is a command not to eat or drink animal blood. (Lev 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it for you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls…) It has nothing to do with cannibalism.

Send him a link to this.

The Eucharist IS Scriptural

One thing we agree on: It’s Jesus we must partake of, it’s He we must commune with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.