Communion at a Protestant church

No, it is not. There have been a number of priests who have discussed this very question on the Catholic Answers Live as well as other Catholic Radio programs.

Part of the reason it’s called “communion” is because that word means that we all agree with the beliefs of that community.

Here is one post from a Catholic Priest regarding this very question:
https://www.catholic.com/qa/can-i-receive-protestant-communion

Here’s another answer regarding Anglican services: https://www.catholic.com/qa/can-i-receive-protestant-communion

God Bless

Correct. Catholic may receive communion in one of those churches. But we are also supposed to refrain from doing so unless we can’t receive at a Catholic Church. For example: we live in Russia and the Catholic Church is hundreds or thousands of miles away. We really should not receive when simply visiting one Sunday because most of these other Churches do not want us to receive - esp the Orthodox.

God bless.

Sinfully, no, you were not sinfully in error.

But you were most likely “politically” in error. (used that word for a lack of any other word)

I don’t know who the “they” are, but as a lifelong Lutheran and recently continuing Anglican, I’ve never heard the consecrated body and blood of Christ spoken of as bread and in any way different than a Catholic might
All of my life, when I have received the sacrament, I have received the true and substantial body and blood of Christ, Catholic protestations to the contrary notwithstanding.
Now, as a Catholic, you are right to statesnd believe we do not have a valid sacrament. We simply disagree

I hope you were satisfied with the OP’s response above - no offence was intended.

In the variety of Protestant denominations there are some who do literally use unfermented grape juice - and do so (I assume) reverently and, in their own minds, scripturally. They say that the elements are only a symbol. The OP may well have encountered these, or be attending one.

Again, I’m not talking about Lutherans or Anglicans, I’m talking about that non denominational Protestant church and other Protestant church who do believe that it is just bread and grape juice. I’m sorry for the confusion.

It is not the Eucharist. Nothing there. It’s OK to go to a protestant service. If there not anti -Catholic.

You’d be living in one of the more isolated parts of Russia for that scenario to be viable. Most larger Russian towns or cities have a Catholic Church.

yes, that’s what I meant. Most of Russia is empty. While 74% of Russians live in the urban areas, the population density of the whole country is only 22 people per square mile (the USA is 86 people per sq mile). And 77% of the people live in the European part of Russian. Rural Asian Russia is pretty sparse. So if you are a Catholic in remote parts Siberia - good luck getting to Mass :wink:

It is not ok to “take communion” in a Protestant church. They are not in communion with us.

How is it insulting? Many Protestant denominations, and non-denominations, believe it to be exactly that in a simple re-enactment/memorial of the last supper :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The word “communion” is a joining of the words ‘common’ and ‘union.’

If you are not in common union with whatever faith community you are visiting, you must abstain from their ‘communion.’ By participating in ANY Protestant communion service, you are tacitly proclaiming that you believe what they believe and are in union with them. We, as Catholics, are most assuredly not in union with any Protestant sect.

MOST Protestants deny:
~Christ’s Real Presence in the Blessed Sacrament;
~the authority of the Bishop of Rome and the Church to interpret Scripture;
~Apostolic Succession;
~the sacraments of valid Holy Orders; and Reconciliation;
~intercessory prayer of the saints.

Protestant communion is not a sacrament. It’s an IMITATION of a sacrament. A Catholic who is versed in the teachings of the Catholic Church must not partake at a Protestant service.

Just this past Saturday I visited a non denom church and passed on communion. I was at the end of the row and just gave the church volunteer the tray, smiled and said “thank you.” She didn’t seem offended at all.

It is insulting because the OP used the broad, general term “Protestant”, instead of being specific. If you’re going to say Protestants teach this or do that, you’re going to be wrong, at least about some of them.
For that Lutheran, it isn’t bread and grape juice, it is the body and blood of Christ. It is along the same lines as someone calling Catholics “cracker worshippers “.
It is insulting.

I am sorry. I made a mistake. I have specified before what I meant, please read that. I did not know what to call them, because they only called themselves “Protestant”, nothing else. Again, read my previous words.

Find those church buildings. How many say “Protestant “ on the front sign?
To be sure, many will use the generic term Protestant, particularly when speaking to Catholics. But if you ask them what denomination or even what church they attend, they will tell you.

It makes no difference. You cannot receive their “communion”. Doing so is saying you are in communion with their faith, which would imply you are not in communion with the Catholic faith.

How old are you? Is this an adult confirmation preparation?

They say they are a Protestant church. The name of the church is just (town name) church, and that is what is written on their door. I walked by it just to make sure, and it even had a little sheet it the door that said simply that they were a “Protestant church”. Nothing more. They have no denomination.
When I asked specifically what denomination, they said they were no denominational. They still call themselves ____ Church, a Protestant Church

Well, I’m not there, so I take your word for it. That is highly unusual since I’m not even aware of a communion named “The Protestant Church “.
Now, a non-denominational church might say that, I guess. Even that is odd, however.

They don’t believe they are receiving Jesus. Their piece of cracker and grape juice is a symbol of remembrance only. We know differently and don’t receive in their churches.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.